User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you vote to re-elect Barack Obama for president?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd vote to re-elect Obama.

    28 50.91%
  • No, I'd vote for another candidate.

    27 49.09%
First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 77

  1. #41
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    I didn't vote for him the first time, so I won't vote for him the second time.

  2. #42
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    NASA is a drop in the bucket. I'm just getting started. (:

    Now, let's step out of the weeds and recognize that the benefits of our space program can be found just about everywhere!
    I still totally fail to see how this addresses at all my actual point -- which is that when the economy sucks as bad as it does and the ship seems about to go under, no one can afford to spend money on things that only provide trickle-down/residual benefits. You save the essentials first because if the patient dies on the table, nothing will matter whatsoever.

    I do feel bad for your dad, however. I have another friend whose father is in rocket science but had to shift into another line of work; and of course my friend who lost her job when the shuttle program closed. I personally would like to see investment in getting people back into space and exploring space for resources; I just don't think those in power will be able to justify a lot of it right now.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    NASA was working on another more technologically advanced vehicle that could go the distance. Bush very much supported the renewed effort to send astronauts to the moon, thus NASA received funding when Bush was in office. Does that make sense? What Obama did was immediately cancel the moon mission goals all together and the funding stopped, which created massive layoffs at NASA
    Bush's moon mission (and Mars mission) was a folly...a classic bread and circuses move. Obama killed it because he recognized this. The funding dried up because it deserved to. However, true to form, NASA was still forced by corporate interests via Congress to re-purpose parts of Constellation (the moon project) and the Space Shuttle to create SLS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Now, let's step out of the weeds and recognize that the benefits of our space program can be found just about everywhere!
    That's very true. However, the same benefits can be reaped from the still-robust unmanned space program. A temporary halt to manned spaceflight until the SLS or contractors like SpaceX are up to speed will have very little effect on space science research.

    Your posts on this topic are so bereft of perspective and basic critical thinking that I'm finished engaging you. However, I feel like I must point out that someone who fancies herself a conservative has in this thread argued that people are owed a job regardless of financial consequence; argued in favor of an expensive, inefficient government program that can soon be duplicated in the private sector and realizes little tangible benefit; and complained that a Democratic president killed a $230 billion dollar program launched by a Republican president at a time when Republicans insist the budget be fixed exclusively by cutting costs instead of increasing revenue.

    Cats and dogs, living together...
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  4. #44
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I feel like I must point out that someone who fancies herself a conservative has in this thread argued that people are owed a job regardless of financial consequence; argued in favor of an expensive, inefficient government program that can soon be duplicated in the private sector and realizes little tangible benefit; and complained that a Democratic president killed a $230 billion dollar program launched by a Republican president at a time when Republicans insist the budget be fixed exclusively by cutting costs instead of increasing revenue.
    This is why I don't get why she doesn't want health care. It's clearly an emo decision so why doesn't she make emo decisions in favour of having healthy productive citizens?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  5. #45
    Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    398

    Default

    *skipping past the whole NASA thing*
    Yes, as of right now I plan to vote for Obama again. Though, I could potentially see myself voting for Romney since he created the the closest thing to Universal Health Care that the U.S. has.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    This is why I don't get why she doesn't want health care.
    Because pharma and insurance company CEOs gotta eat too, I guess. Let's have a telethon.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  7. #47
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Because pharma and insurance company CEOs gotta eat too, I guess. Let's have a telethon.
    I'll call the celebs in.

    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  8. #48
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I still totally fail to see how this addresses at all my actual point -- which is that when the economy sucks as bad as it does and the ship seems about to go under, no one can afford to spend money on things that only provide trickle-down/residual benefits. You save the essentials first because if the patient dies on the table, nothing will matter whatsoever.
    Man, when Obama told us to STFU and eat our peas, I seriously didn't think anyone would listen. I was wrong.

    Think outside of the box! Once NASA transfers technology to private industry outside of our defense establishment, it can go anywhere outside of the U.S (i.e., CHINA). We can't compete with engineers in China that are making 200-bucks a month. Our best and brightest are losing their jobs and will watch their life's work transfer to the Chinese. That's what it is coming down to. Russia has a monopoly on space flights. We are paying them something like 50-millian dollars per flight to send our astronauts to space right now because of stupid nonsense programs like Obamacare. I would much rather hold on to our technology and have leadership in space over Obamacare.

    What did Obama promise us? Obama promised us unemployment would not break 8%, it did. Obama promised 100's of thousands of jobs would be created a month and guess what? Didn't happen.

    What did Obama do instead?
    • He focuses on Obamacare while the economy continued tanking and hands the insurance companies our heads on a silver platter.
    • He starts the process to dismantle social security.
    • He starts the process to dismantle Medicare for seniors.
    • He starts a war in Libya.
    • He works his ass off to make sure the bankers won't be held responsible for their criminal act and ruin of millions of peoples' financial lives.
    • He gives trillions to the bankers and waters down financial reform legislation that would prevent them from any future plundering of our nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I do feel bad for your dad, however. I have another friend whose father is in rocket science but had to shift into another line of work; and of course my friend who lost her job when the shuttle program closed. I personally would like to see investment in getting people back into space and exploring space for resources; I just don't think those in power will be able to justify a lot of it right now.
    Thanks. My Dad didn't lose his job; he is doing well. I never said anything about my Dad to make you feel bad.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    IME the biggest problem with Canadian health care is that our population is smaller than California's but we're spread out across the second largest land mass in the world. So there are distribution issues esp. with rural communities, like for instance, transporting radioactive isotopes for PET scans. But that's more of an urban/rural problem and it's the same reason why there are fewer universities and why we have a brain drain to the USA.
    This is so important and boggles me every time health care enters the radar

    People say a single payer system won't work in America because we are "too big"

    How the fuck can it be more efficient to cover a larger area with a smaller population? How does Canada spend 50% of what America does per capita for health care and still blow America out of the water.

    I have no idea, but it makes universal coverage in a relatively small (by area) nation such as America seem like a no-brainer

    I want to understand, but there is no reasonable explanation for this nonsense

  10. #50
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    This is the most important question I will ever ask in a political thread

    What is Obamacare?

    Can anyone here tell me what Obamacare is?

    Is it where an insurance company cannot drop a person for a preexisting condition? Is that what Republicans are united against?

Similar Threads

  1. What other type would you want to be?
    By Kiddo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 08:57 PM
  2. Who would you like to hang out with?
    By Ivy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
  3. Would you choose to be born?
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 05:34 AM
  4. What kind of essays would you prefer to write?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO