User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you vote to re-elect Barack Obama for president?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd vote to re-elect Obama.

    28 50.91%
  • No, I'd vote for another candidate.

    27 49.09%
First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 77

  1. #31
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Given Obama's apparent opposition, I would not hesitate to vote for him again.
    !!! Discounting Huntsman, they're all a bunch of wackjobs!

    Despite everything that's happened during Obama's term that wasn't palatable, it's sure as hell more palatable than the alternative.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    I can't be sure who I'm going to vote for in the next election; the Republican candidates look pathetic, and Obama ain't all that great either. In all honesty though I'll have to wait and see just who the lest few presidential candidates are, and choose between the lesser of two evils. That, or I'll just not vote.

  3. #33
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Freedom from Obamacare.
    It baffles me why Americans might not want national health care. It works better on every metric at a national level, and speaking at an individual level, my Canadian health care experiences have all been excellent while my American ones have required more wait time than I am used to. (Not that I'm complaining that my American health care is bad, because it's not.) But now that I have genuine patterns of experience in both countries I can say my Canadian public health care has been better in terms of my personal experience. And it's cheaper for the country on a national level.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  4. #34
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,541

    A Popular Visitor

    The President is visiting as I write. And he is very popular. And so he should be as he is giving us everything we want, except cap and trade.

  5. #35
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It kills me to say it as a space geek, but NASA is lucky it exists at all the way it's fallen from the days of Apollo. Wasted money, failed programs, and terrible leadership mean they have no basis for complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I simply don't see NASA as the make-or-break priority to say someone is a shitty president, unless one simply has a personal connection to NASA and then that's a personal preference at work; pretty much no matter what gets prioritized, people are going to blame Obama for "wasting money."

    NASA is not a core system in the economy, as far as I'm aware; it's a nicety that is going to get chopped, just like you'd cut off a finger to save an arm if necessary.
    NASA is a drop in the bucket. I'm just getting started. (:

    Now, let's step out of the weeds and recognize that the benefits of our space program can be found just about everywhere!

    THE BENEFITS OF THE AMERICAN SPACE PROGRAM:
    • NASA technology is a guest in our home everyday through home improvement, appliances and home safety.
    • Along with dinosaurs and artifacts, you will find NASA technology at work in museums.
    • From a more accurate thermometer to a treatment for brain cancer, NASA technology has provided the medical community with advancements in medical care.
    • From crop improvements to a mother for baby pigs, NASA technology has made strides on the farm.
    • Improved firefighting and rescue equipment has evolved out of the space program.
    • A trip to the mall can bring you face to face with space technology. These spinoffs range from sunglasses to facial makeovers.
    • Virtual reality and other scientific advancements were made possible through NASA technology.
    • When you cheer for your favorite team, include NASA! Technology from the space program provides many benefits to the sports world.
    • NASA technology is at work to make the Earth beautiful and safe for everyone.
    • Contributions from the space program have impacted the safety of airports.

    http://techtran.msfc.nasa.gov/at_home.html

  6. #36
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    It baffles me why Americans might not want national health care. It works better on every metric at a national level, and speaking at an individual level, my Canadian health care experiences have all been excellent while my American ones have required more wait time than I am used to. (Not that I'm complaining that my American health care is bad, because it's not.) But now that I have genuine patterns of experience in both countries I can say my Canadian public health care has been better in terms of my personal experience. And it's cheaper for the country on a national level.
    National health care is contrary to American Democracy; it's big government. I don't want to pay more taxes and yet be treated like the goats & chickens standing in line for status quo service. In America, if you have the cash, you can buy just about anything. That was back before Obamacare when America was run by Americans; not sure where we stand now.

    I heard that some Canadians travel to the U.S. for time critical health care. Correct me if I'm wrong about that, but expedient-superior care is not a feature of national health care. Everybody gets treated equally, thus you have to wait in line like everyone else. I've heard sometimes Canadians have to wait months for cancer treatment/surgery.

  7. #37
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    NASA is a drop in the bucket. I'm just getting started. (:

    Now, let's step out of the weeds and recognize that the benefits of our space program can be found just about everywhere!
    ITA. America spends so much excess money on their military because things like the latest tech developments support the American economy . . . America could still have the strongest military in the world, but redirect a lot of the excessive military spending to NASA. That would be morally healthier. NASA's all about hope for the future and the military's fear-based (for legitimate reasons, obviously, but it's excessively funded). I think it would be healthier for the country in all sorts of ways.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  8. #38
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    National health care is contrary to American Democracy; it's big government. I don't want to pay more taxes and yet be treated like the goats & chickens standing in line for status quo service. In America, if you have the cash, you can buy just about anything. That was back before Obamacare when America was run by Americans; not sure where we stand now.

    I heard that some Canadians travel to the U.S. for time critical health care. Correct me if I'm wrong about that, but expedient-superior care is not a feature of national health care. Everybody gets treated equally, thus you have to wait in line like everyone else. I've heard sometimes Canadians have to wait months for cancer treatment/surgery.
    You are wrong.

    For the record, almost everything I've ever heard about the Canadian health care system as told by Americans fails to match up with my personal experiences, the experiences my family has had including a young adult death from cancer and a teen with MS, and the experience of my hundreds of friends/acquaintances. I really think American big pharma makes propaganda stories about it. It's not perfect by any means but the system works pretty damn well, all things considered.

    I've never waited in an ER (literally never sat down, because I could walk right in to see the doctor both times) and I've only had minor things, not OMG things. We do schedule physicals months in advance but it's just because our systems are organized differently (there are walk-in doctors at clinics that can see you immediately ).

    IME the biggest problem with Canadian health care is that our population is smaller than California's but we're spread out across the second largest land mass of all the nations in the world. So there are distribution issues esp. with rural communities, like for instance, transporting radioactive isotopes for PET scans. But that's more of an urban/rural problem and it's the same reason why there are fewer universities and why we have a brain drain to the USA.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  9. #39
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    You are wrong.
    More accurately, it's controversial. You apparently like national health care, but not all Canadians do.

    Exhibit A:

    In a recent news package liberal journalists at CNN --in this case Dana Bash and Lesa Jansen-- attempted to discredit a Canadian brain tumor patient who received treatment in the U.S. after being told by Canada's health care system to shut up and take her place in line.

    They were unable to actually discredit Shona Holmes of Waterdown, Ontario, but did manage to find another patient who claims to have received speedy treatment following a cancer diagnosis.

    It should surprise no one that CNN ignored Canada's preeminent authority on government health care rationing, the Vancouver-based Fraser Institute, which has demonstrated time and time again that on average Canadians have to wait a long time before receiving medical treatment for serious ailments. (See PDF file of the Fraser Institute's "Waiting Your Turn: Hospital Waiting Lists in Canada," 2008 Report, 18th edition.)

    Patients United Now, which is a project of Americans for Prosperity Foundation, is now running an effective TV ad (available here) opposing President Obama's socialist health care scheme.

    It features Holmes, who came to the U.S.-based Mayo Clinic, to have a brain tumor removed. Canada's dysfunctional government-run health care system informed Holmes that she would have to wait for six months to see a specialist. "In six months I would have died," Holmes says in the spot. The Mayo Clinic where Holmes received successful treatment tells her story at its website. Mayo is also fiercely critical of ObamaCare.

    CNN also managed to extract a quote from Canadian Sen. Hugh Segal. Segal is what's known in Canada as a "Red Tory." In other words he may belong to the Conservative Party but he's ideologically a liberal with very little in common with American conservatives. Not surprisingly, this soulmate of Lincoln Chafee defended Canada's universal health care system.

    Segal, who would feel perfectly at home in America's Democratic Party, told CNN his "fellow conservatives" in the U.S. are dead wrong about Canada's health care system. "What you have is a longer life span, better outcomes and about one-third less costs. That's what you have," said Segal.

    Read more: http://<u>http://newsbusters.org/blo...z1dvjJZBJs</u>

  10. #40
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    More accurately, it's controversial. You apparently like national health care, but not all Canadians do.

    Exhibit A:


    When my cousin had his cancer dx he got surgery the next afternoon. Just because you can find an example or two of major fuckups (likely a terrible MD who dealt with the patient) doesn't mean it works like that. That's about as helpful as me criticizing American Republicans writ large because of the few who cheered at the deaths of uninsured Americans. My mind can actually think more nuanced and see that there are many compassionate conservatives, and that I'm seeing loud extremist examples that don't represent the norm. The same thing happens with the health care system.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Similar Threads

  1. What other type would you want to be?
    By Kiddo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 08:57 PM
  2. Who would you like to hang out with?
    By Ivy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
  3. Would you choose to be born?
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 05:34 AM
  4. What kind of essays would you prefer to write?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO