INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LowEnd View Post
    wahgwanen

gaanome

rubsenit
    What's going on then?

I'm going home

Rubbish isn't it

Generally, if you don't know what I'm saying, you're not supposed to.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Prostitots & Kinderhoes.. should be easy to figure out.

Eleventeen (As in, she must be all of about eleventeen years old)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    GONE

Wow, I get the feeling if I were having a conversation IRL with Bananatrombones and LowEnd I would be like the entire time...and feel vaguely scandalized

My American English "grammar" is very proper, people have even told me so. I have a very plain standard American accent perfect for newscasting -- which honestly was something I thought about way back when (before I realized what I look like on camera0

Except when I sound like a Valley Girl...which apparently I do (did?) because strangers and classmates would stop me and go, 'Are you from LA/CA?' and no, I'm not from LA but a lot of east coasters equate CA with LA.

But, in my Standard American English, I don't have much local color. So I make my own and create my own slang! Or borrow heavily from street slang...or geriatric phrases

Like I'll say "college loaned" in lieu of "waxed" -- as in getting de-furred...deferred...get it? It's funny, right? Right? I call dibs on it so you have to credit me if you ever use the term in some published work (EffEm...)

I like to say I'll 'flip a bitch" (which is co-opting a real slang term originally used for "making a u-turn" I mean c'mon) or "flip [like] a ninja" on you. Which is such a more fun and colorful way of saying 'don't make me open a can of whoop-ass on you' --> another real (and passe) slang term that I find corny.

Sometimes, occassionally, once in a while, very infrequently...I say 'slutastic' I think the term is self-explanatory.

There are lots of terms that are funny only in (bad) translation.

My friend was once harassed and called a 'maricona' or impromptu feminized homophobic ephithet. Basically she was called a 'fag-etess'. She even marvelled at the ingenuity of it and we both laughed.

A German friend of a friend referred to 'fag hags' as 'fag ma-mas' and everyone was so amused I think the term stuck.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I picked up "y'all" while living in Texas. It's alot less clunkier than the Midwest's "you guys".

My dad used to say "warsh your hands before dinner!" when I was a kid. I never understood where that (mis)pronounciation came from, but it annoyed the hell out of me and I swore I'd never say it that way and I haven't.

Picked up while living in the UK:

- "Oy!" - useful attention-getter.
    - "sort you out" - lazy abbreviation on the fixing of one's little red wagon theme.
    - "knackered" "having a moan" "taking the piss" - just randomly useful when I want to take a different spin on common phrases.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    INXP

One I hadn't heard for a while :

"grockle" - disparaging slang in the town near to me for a tourist. As in :

"The town centre is full of grockles today, grrrr."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    One I hadn't heard for a while :

"grockle" - disparaging slang in the town near to me for a tourist. As in :

"The town centre is full of grockles today, grrrr."
    That sounds like a Harry Potter word.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm not sure if this is slang so much as a language tic, but in southern California everyone adds "the" to the names of freeways. For example, they'll say "Take the 101 to the 405 and then exit at Washington" instead of just "Take 101 to 405 and then exit at Washington". My friend Greg found this so amusing that he started adding "the" to all numbers. "Hey, this shirt is on sale for the $19.95!" But they also omit "the" before the word prom. Here they say "She's going to prom with Jimmy" instead of "She's going to the prom with Jimmy." It was jarring to me because in the area I grew up, we didn't use "the" for roads but we did for proms.
    I never realized that no one else added the word "the" before the highway number. The word "the" kinda takes the place of the word "highway" when you don't feel like saying "Highway 101" every single time. In that way, it wouldn't work when describing the price of something, since the price is not the name of the item...

It's not just a SoCal thing, either, we said it in the bay area, too.

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    My dad used to say "warsh your hands before dinner!" when I was a kid. I never understood where that (mis)pronounciation came from, but it annoyed the hell out of me and I swore I'd never say it that way and I haven't.
    One of my uncles says warsh, too, which doesn't make sense because he and all of his siblings grew up in the same household and no one else says it that way.

A lot of people around here add -tastic onto the end of words for emphasis. Even if it doesn't really make sense as an adjective, everyone seems to understand what you mean anyway (ie: bluetastic, yogurt-tastic, dorktastic, slut-tastic).

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firelie View Post
    One of my uncles says warsh, too, which doesn't make sense because he and all of his siblings grew up in the same household and no one else says it that way.
    Did either of you have relatives from the greater Philadelphia area? I grew up there and "warsh" was widespread, even leading to the pronunciation of our capital as "Warshington". Other strange Philly pronunciations are "wooder" for water, "crown" for crayon, and "Iggles" for the city's beloved Eagles.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

No, northern California. That's why it was so weird!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

i thought warsh was a southern thing.
    my family in arkansas always says warsh instead of wash.

and instead of saying "on" the say "awne", i always found this annoying, as i am from the same place, and i don't talk like this.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.