User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I use to live in an apartment complex called "Nob Hill" My Husband thought that was amusing. That and "Fanny Packs".
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I use to live in an apartment complex called "Nob Hill" My Husband thought that was amusing. That and "Fanny Packs".
    Nob Hill is a very nice area. It must be even more amusing that "Nob Hill" is in San Francisco. LOL

"Gaytarded" is one of my favorite insults. It takes the sting out of calling something "gay" or "retarded" when you really just mean stupid. And it's fun to say. My lesbian friend thought it was the best word ever, and actually changed her facebook status to "Olivia is gaytarded" for a while.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

I also notice the different terms in different areas.

soda vs. pop (and even "tonic" in New England)
    faucet vs. tap vs. spigot
    bubbler (for water fountain)

Accents also fascinate me. I have a mild Philadelphian accent, which comes out more when I am around my family or in a neighborhood such as South Philly.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm not sure if this is slang so much as a language tic, but in southern California everyone adds "the" to the names of freeways. For example, they'll say "Take the 101 to the 405 and then exit at Washington" instead of just "Take 101 to 405 and then exit at Washington". My friend Greg found this so amusing that he started adding "the" to all numbers. "Hey, this shirt is on sale for the $19.95!" But they also omit "the" before the word prom. Here they say "She's going to prom with Jimmy" instead of "She's going to the prom with Jimmy." It was jarring to me because in the area I grew up, we didn't use "the" for roads but we did for proms.
    Hey, we do both of those here! Except prom may or may not have a "the" associated with it. So weird that we'd share a southern california mannerism....unless the area you grew up in is the odd one out!

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Hey, we do both of those here! Except prom may or may not have a "the" associated with it. So weird that we'd share a southern california mannerism....unless the area you grew up in is the odd one out!
    Maybe Canada always puts the "the" in front of road/highway names, as an affectation going back to British Empire days? There are a few British english words, mannerisms and spellings preserved in Canada that have been ditched in the US.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

sorostitute

sweeper (vaccuum)

coke (soda or pop- any variety)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    NICE

Some great Scottish words. Not sure whether they are slang or not:

"to scunner" - to annoy someone (inference: to make them miserable)
    "a scunner" - a derogatory term usually - but not always -applied to a female with a negative demeanour that threatens to spoil the general ambience (of party, pub, house, etc).

A variety of terms suggestive of drunkeness:

stotious; foo; blootered and many more...

"Hank Marvin" - feeling rather peckish

broon-breed - the Scots equivilant of "brown bread" - dead.

"Stank" - a metal drain cover. A west coast noun.

"barry gam" - an east coast expression, exclaiming satisfaction with a particular sexual act.

"Ya hoor ye" - an east coast term of endearment.

And so on.

Edits:

"a dunt on the heid" - an accidental knock on one's "top-piece".
    "Shite" - proto-Germanic (one assumes): a somewhat disappointing evening, old chap - "Shite nite, ya hoor"
    "Wallies" - false teeth; corruption of the term China Dog (Wally Dug) harking to past times when false teeth were manufactured using porcelain. Eg " Git yer wallies 'roon this" (a request for a particular sexual favour). Not dissimilar to Old Cockney - "Oi, git your laughing gear around this." Generally considered inappropriate outside a shared cultural niche.
    "heid the ba'" - a heart-on-your-sleeve loser of the Old School.
    "bam pot"/"tube" - see above.
    "wee ride" (M to F) - the object of one's affections, perhaps at a small but public celebration.
    Glasgow Smiles Better/Welcome to Scotland, etc - euphemistic terms, as if to compensate for the reality. PR companies paid lots of money to come up with this drivel.
    "Ned" - a volatile fellow who's powers of reasoning are somewhat suspect. English eq. = chav. Or Caveman.

MBTI
    INFP

Whoop there buh/gil= hi there male person/female person
    ta= thanks
    tata= bye
    that's all I can think of right now xD
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

MBTI
    INXP

Barnet - Hair(style)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Worked with a New Zeelander a while back, here are some fun words he flung around often:

Guts for garters = in big, fat motherfucking trouble
    Rack off! = "go away!"
    knackered = tired or exhausted, unsure which
    and he called people Wayne alot, which I found a wee bit strange. You know, like some people throw around the word "neighbor" or "friend" after a sentence, but more like in a low screaming kind of way when he was upset
    Example: "Jeez wayne, that's the SMARTEST thing i've heard today!" (sarcasm)

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come