User Tag List

First 6141516

MBTI
    INFP

We never use the word "creek." We say "crick" just like the good ol' boyz.

(My husband answers the phone in the same manner insulting anyone who is calling by saying they're a coward! The kids fall on the floor - behind his back.)
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    My Iowa farm wife MIL uses the word "jitney" for an old beat-up car.

That seems odd to me. The only other time I've heard this word used is by Black people to refer to a cab.
    In the Mid-Atlantic region, a "jitney" is a small van or bus that picks people up and drops them off over a set route. The Hampton Jitney, for instance, travels from New York City to the Hamptons, and it is one of the most popular and affortable ways to go there (not everyone has a helicopter to take).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP

I've wondered if she wasn't meaning "jalopy." But where that woman, who hardly left her home region, got that word is beyond me.

It's just set me to musing about how misunderstood words or phrases can, ignorantly in my word-police opinion, become common parlance.

Many of the descendants of prairie settlers use the word "chimbley" for chimney.

One that sets my teeth on edge is using the words "John Henry" for a signature. That is very common around here. Seems to me that the origin of that derives from John Hancock signing the Declaration of Independence.

Here's another used in my husband's hometown which was new to me:

When passing a dish at table, if it is very hot to hold one says, "Instructions on bottom."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yeah, "John Henry" doesn't make any sense at all, especially considering the American legend of his life. Any conceivable real-life John Henry would have almost certainly been born a slave, and thus would have been unlikely to have been able to read or write. His owners probably would have tried to keep illiterate, and many slave states actually had laws forbidding people (including slave owners) to teach slaves to read or write, even if they wanted to do it.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP

My BIL, who was for years an engineering executive in Silicon Valley, once asked for "pannycakes" at a corporate breakfast and was puzzled by the expressions on his colleague's faces.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    and I do say "Sawng" for song, all drawn out. My sister also says "Lahk." for Like, real southern belle twang.
    Yup, most people I know flatten out their I's.

"lock" = like
    "tom" = time
    "Froddy" or "Fraddy" = Friday

Oh and "Chewsdy" or "Choose + dee" = Tuesday
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFP

Schedule = shedjewel.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Schedule = shedjewel.
    Well, good for you! That's the correct pronunciation when used in a formal setting eg legalistic. Most people now use skedule, but shedule it is!

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Washer = Worsher
    Flag = Fleg
    Bag = Beg

Oh yes and,
    "I'm fixin' to do that."

Both my parents are from Illinois but I've lived in Georgia most of my life - I get a mixture of both slangs.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein