User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Vot!! Vere ist MEIN Wurst?
    hahahaha!!!!!!!! Geoff, you silly guy!!!!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Living down South, but raised by Northern parents, I've heard some interesting ones from friends and their families.

"jamby" = someone who is out of place with the rest of the crowd; they may be oblivious, or they may be trying too hard

"Bogartin" = hogging something all to yourself
    Example: Quit Bogartin the good seats!

"geetar" = guitar

"git-fiddle" = also guitar, I think this one's hilarious

My friend's dad once called the Golden Corral restaurant the "Golden Kee-ral"

"boah" = boy

"oal" = oil

"bowl" = boil

"sumbitch" = son of a bitch
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post

"Bogartin" = hogging something all to yourself
    Example: Quit Bogartin the good seats!
    Lol, I'm gonna use that. I have a wierd family like that too. It's half-southern half-northern. My dad's from Indiana and living down here he's somehow picked up this accent that we KNOW he didn't have before, and it's hilarious. My mom has a fairly strong southern accent because she lived in Birmingham, Alabama for a while, but her mom is from New Orleans and her dad is from Minnesota, so sometimes the strangest sound combinations come out of her mouth.

I just remembered, my dad's people in Indiana say "crick" for "creek."

"cracked up" - messed up, not necessarily in reference to drugs or alcohol. Kind of like "jacked up," really

Also, speaking of German words, "Scheisse!" got really popular in high school thanks to the German exchange students we had.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    We also pronounce on as "awn."
    I've rarely heard it pronounced any other way.

My cousins do say "wooder" for water, and it has always struck me as funny. They almost go as far as to say "witter" but not quite. My brother "Brad" is called "Brally" by them also. I see "prolly" used on the net. I wonder if this is just an abbreviation, or if some people actually say it like that. I've only heard it shortened to "probbly".
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I've rarely heard it pronounced any other way.

My cousins do say "wooder" for water, and it has always struck me as funny. They almost go as far as to say "witter" but not quite.
    That is the classic example of the Philadelphian accent. Strange tongue here, although at least we don't have the "Mary-marry-merry" merger like many places in the Midwest. God, that sounds so awful.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    infp

I use cockney the most, ruby murrey (curry), china plate (mate), dustbin lids (kids) but only when I'm talking to people I know will understand.

My favourite slang is twat, don't know why but I enjoy saying it, it comes out easy. I don't feel guilty using it, so I call alot of people twats.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Hmm. I'm a user of the word Janky.. I wonder what it is about North to south marriages?? My parents are also this way, my mother from Philly and my father from Orange, TX, which is pretty hick out there. He answers the phone saying "Yell-ow"!!

Out in Devine though, I've heard some interesting slang, including phrases like "Boggin'" Which apparently means sex, but is more referring to the quickie less-lovely like aspects of it.. and "Your ass is sore!" for Whatever or bullshit.. or "My ass hurts" for I'm lying.

"Mo' Bettah'" Is also pretty common..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    "oal" = oil
    Cimarron, when I was a kid we vacationed in Arkansas and I was at a teen center where I met some of da boyz from TX. I was in conversation with one and asked him something about oil wells and he yelled to his buddies to come over.

"Now say what you just said again." he requested.

"Do you live near any oil wells?"

Everybody started to laugh. What?

"She says, 'oyl' for aaaahl."

I say "ahnt" Mable and my cousins from Chicago say "ant" Mable.

Where I grew up everyone says, "Uffdah." Norwegian for "good grief" or maybe even a stronger expletive. Don't know if it's slang or not. I still use it.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

My Iowa farm wife MIL uses the word "jitney" for an old beat-up car.

That seems odd to me. The only other time I've heard this word used is by Black people to refer to a cab.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Lol!! LAME!! Who uses Oyl?!!

>.o Actually, I say oil, creek, and such like this, but I mispronounce other things and get made fun of for it by my fellow Texans. I tend to say "Asshoe" instead of "Asshole.".. I don't pronounce the L so well when saying it quickly. and I do say "Sawng" for song, all drawn out. My sister also says "Lahk." for Like, real southern belle twang.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge