User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Oh, that makes sense. *shoots self, dies*

My favourite slang word is, "mate".

And just as the eskimos have twenty words for snow, we have twenty meanings for, "mate".

It can mean anything from a life long friend for whom you would give your life, to being called, "mate", by the NSW Right as being the same as being sent flowers by the mafia.

And oddly enough it is often used with mild irony to call someone back to the right behaviour - the right behaviour of mates.

But most of all it is used as friendly term of address.

And it is when you don't call someone, "mate", that the ears prick up.

So, "mate", forms a kind of verbal background that foregrounds its absence.

"Right mate?" or "Is that right mate?", have two different intonations and two different meanings.

MBTI
    ESFJ

"beat" is a good, all-purpose slang word. Also, in Philadelphia, "jawn" is pretty widespread, as a slang version of "thing." I don't like "pocketbook" for "purse," though. It makes some sense (purses generally have lots of little pockets and zippers), but the pronunciation annoys the hell out of me here. Philadelphians make it sound like "pockabook" and that is just awful.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INXP

At lunch today, I said to someone that they were eating a very "diddy" bar of chocolate. To me, "diddy" means something small.. to the Irish lady I was talking to, it's slang for a breast.

Whoops!

MBTI
    ENFP

My favorite one was when I first met my cousin from england and he called me governor. I was like WTF... or was it gov, I forget.

Anyway, I hear that Califorinistan with all its valley girl and south central dialects can be intriguing.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    My favorite one was when I first met my cousin from england and he called me governor. I was like WTF... or was it gov, I forget.
    Is he a londoner? If so it was probably "guv" shortened form of governor, used as a mark of working class respect. eg "Alright guv?" as a version of "How are you today?"

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Is he a londoner? If so it was probably "guv" shortened form of governor, used as a mark of working class respect. eg "Alright guv?" as a version of "How are you today?"
    yes he was, and he was surprised when I asked for him to clarify.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    I say "Dude" and "Bro" a lot IRL. I also use "fucktard", and after reading an entry in ByMySwords blog, I picked up "Douche-cock", in fact I used on someone just earlier today.

It's been a long one.
    I'm a fan of "fucktard", but I've also picked up "asscrumpet" from school folk, and "asshat" from Customers Suck at livejournal.

Recently, I've discovered "cockbite" from Red vs. Blue.

But in terms of regional dialects, I grew up in the south. So, my vocabulary is peppered with things like "Y'all" and "I'mago" (which translated out to "I'm going to go and do...")

Then, of course, there are the foodstuffs that I talk about that instantly get the southern accent out. (I live in British Columbia now, so I've learned to repress the accent a bit so that people listen to what I'm saying and not the accent.) If I start talking about fried yellow squash, fried green tomatoes, and fried okra, it comes right out again.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    ENFP

what no more classical dipshit...

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    I'm a fan of "fucktard", but I've also picked up "asscrumpet" from school folk, and "asshat" from Customers Suck at livejournal.
    "gaytarded" is one of my favorites.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"