User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

It's definitely regional in the US, and primarily in California. I wonder if the Brits had it before us, or if they picked it up from us, since it appears the convention dates to at least the 1940s in the Los Angeles area...

Locality also affects it more - in many regions of the US "Interstate" and "I" are interchangeable, so "I-5" = "Interstate 5", which we would call "the 5". The east gets even more confusing since there are so many non-standard road numbering/naming methodologies, plus you have duplicates where there are lots of county and state roads that converge with the same numbers. "Old 10" and "New 10" was an example on my recent trip to MN, where one was County and the other was State, but locals don't use this terminology and don't recall which is which, except by which is old or new.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

From now on, "over that way" is as specific as I'm going to get in regard to my driving plans.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    epyT

Forgot to mention some of my favorite net-slang words.

flame war- argument occurring in an internet forum, message board, or chat room that has strayed from the original discussion topic and has degenerated into a personal-level argument

troll- a person who intentionally posts disruptive or provocative messages online, often for the purpose of self-amusement (think Andy Kaufman but less creative)

banhammer- a mighty weapon wielded by the mysterious "Admins"; it is keen, precise, and able to at least temporarily disable a troll with a single blow

and of course the endless abbreviations: FTW, WTF, RL, TL;DR, etc

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I love my banstick, banhammer, and bancannon.

One of my classic quotes was "I banned all of AOL, and I feel fine".
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Years ago in TX when I was dating my husband, we got stuck out in the ice. It was the middle of the night and back then no cell phones. Some nice people let us use their phone. My husband got really frustrated looking in their phone book for a "tow truck" and not finding any, when he vented about it, I said "uh, did you look under 'wreckers?'" Sure enough, tow trucks were listed under "wreckers."

He's from up north, this just blew him away, he never got over it.

I am an obsessive viewer of shows like "Are You Being Served?" and "Keeping up Appearances", as "Time Goes By." I always have to translate for other people watching them.
    HAHA, sweet. I loved those shows as well.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Shall I add a bit of German slang (as long as it is not vulgar)?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INXP

Coke. This word appears to be lots of fun.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Coke. This word appears to be lots of fun.
    Is it all pressing down on you like a nightmare, Geoff?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Shall I add a bit of German slang (as long as it is not vulgar)?
    Why not try vulgar - it won't shock us because it is in another language. And also I can try it out on German backpackers.

Go on, LL, be a sport.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Is it all pressing down on you like a nightmare, Geoff?
    Haha. No, I was not being sarcastic (for once) I was enjoying the coke/pop/soda thread as a classic example of dialectal variation.