Enneagram

Oh yeah, I just thought of one...

Butt-bread!

Not as dirty as it sounds...it's the two all-crust ends of a loaf of bread

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Hot damn! Good, Great, Well done, I approve.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    It's a California thing in general, but I believe it originally started in SoCal (specifically Los Angeles) due to the large number of freeways, state roads, county roads, and so-forth. What foreigners don't catch is that "the" does not denote "freeway", but means "any numbered road". In much of the rest of the country people will specify the prefix based on who owns and maintains it: CR, SR, Highway, Freeway (appears to be used to denote a federal controlled-access loop road), Interstate (roads that cross states in the same system), etc. We just call them by their number with "the" to identify them as one of the above, except certain rural interstate roads we call "routes", and named rural roads (which overrides the road number). For instance, Silver Strand Boulevard is called "the 75", in spite of having multiple names along it's route. This usage is so ubiquitous that most of us don't even know the official names of the freeways we use. I'd bet that almost nobody here could tell me the official names of the 8, the 805, and the 15 without looking them up.
    It's a British thing too. Whenever a highway has a number it takes "the". So my nearest motorway (like an interstate) is always THE M27 and not simply M27. It seems very odd to me that people wouldn't use "the".

After all we wouldn't say "sail on atlantic ocean until you get there" - it'd have the "the" too, right?

Language is odd!

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Mm. I think adding the 'the' before it makes it clear it's a noun. If you didn't use it:

"We're taking 101" sounds so incomplete. You're taking 101 umbrellas? Taking 101 steps?

Here, the freeways names are combined with 'the' - i.e. Mitchell Fwy becomes 'the Mitchell'.

I also just noticed how wierd a word Mitchell is. Hehe. Mitchell.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    Mm. I think adding the 'the' before it makes it clear it's a noun. If you didn't use it:

"We're taking 101" sounds so incomplete. You're taking 101 umbrellas? Taking 101 steps?

Here, the freeways names are combined with 'the' - i.e. Mitchell Fwy becomes 'the Mitchell'.

I also just noticed how wierd a word Mitchell is. Hehe. Mitchell.
    Doesn't work with surface roads, though. I wouldn't take "the La Brea." It's a strange inconsistency. And, to my American East Coast ears, "We're taking 95 North to New York" doesn't sound weird at all.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Doesn't work with surface roads, though. I wouldn't take "the La Brea." It's a strange inconsistency. And, to my American East Coast ears, "We're taking 95 North to New York" doesn't sound weird at all.
    Heh. I'd take the "La Brea" road. Just like I would sail down the river mississipi?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Heh. I'd take the "La Brea" road. Just like I would sail down the river mississipi?
    Would you take "the La Brea Avenue?"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Would you take "the La Brea Avenue?"
    I would never take either the avenue or the street... I don't take a bus on the Fifth Avenue... I never walk up the Lexington Avenue... and I certainly don't fancy a postprandial stroll down the Rector Street... I could, on the other hand, deal with an outing to Canal Street... mayhap even find myself following the Yellow-Brick Road...

I often go cross-country on the 66, but never on the Route 66, or the 66th Route...

Given two roads, I'd take the one less traveled by, that is, the road less traveled by...
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

I think that a definite article preceding the "way name" is only warranted in grand situations... it's THE Yellow-Brick Road, the ONE AND ONLY, the River Mississippi, Frost's adventurous lesson made me realize it's often more interesting to take the road less traveled by... THE road less traveled by... no big deal for me to go by a road less traveled... but I think most people would agree that LaBrea Avenue isn't of that status... it's a lesser "way", a second-class route...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

I suppose it does accentuate the main, important throughfares in an area - the freeways, etc. Little side-streets and stuff just get called by their name.

In conclusion - it's mostly stylistic and/or habit and apparently not regional at all.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    "Hella" is exclusively NorCal. You'd get your buttocks handed to you if you dared use such lame slang down here.
    Well, I kind of stopped using it in the 6th grade, so no difficulty there.