User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Unhappy Penn State Child Molestation Scandal & Ignoring Kids Being Run Over in the Street

Anyone see the video of the little girl in China getting repeatedly run over in the street by trucks...while many people walk by and do nothing. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

I chalked it up to something bizarre about the Chinese. For various reasons, they were afraid to get involved, and do the right thing. The child paid the price. There was a lot of soul searching that happened in China after this indecent.

Sadly, I'm feeling there a lot of similarities between the Penn State Scandal and...that video from China...except it happened here.

Think about it. The ONLY reason this is out in the open now and people are being fired left and right and charges brought against many people is bec. one brave victim and his mom took it to CPS. Had they not done that, Sandusky would probably be with some other poor kid tonight and tomorrow.

There is something so horrible about this that many people not only dont want to get involved, they dont even want to believe what they actually see and hear. They just rationalize it away. I think that is a big part of the reason that this case is so emotional for many. It hints that something about our society is allowing these horrible incidents to happen, and makes us all feel somewhat responsible.

While I do not think many here in the US would let a child lie in the street and get run over repeated as occurred in that Chinese video, it does seem to be frighteningly common for people to not act in matters of suspected child abuse. We have seen coverups like this in churches, schools, companies, boy scouts, etc. It is not something unique to Penn State.

Before you comment, if you are if you have not read it, I suggest strongly that you read the grand Jury Report. It can be found here: Grand Jury report

It will make you mad. It will make you disgusted. It will leave you asking a lot of questions. A lot of people have a hard time reading it. The worst part about it to me is how many opportunities went wasted to stop this guy many years ago

If you cant stomach reading the JG report, at least read this:
    Penn State Scandal Timeline
    I 60% / N 60% / T 64% / P 76%

You always get what you settle for.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Lauren Acquaviva, left, her husband Michael and 10-month-old son Matthias protest on the Penn State campus on Tuesday, objecting to the university administration's handling thus far of the sex-abuse scandal.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

After seeing the images of tear gas and stun grenades used against Oakland protesters trying to get redress for economic grievances (not to mention the arrests of veterans in Boston and the eviction of peaceful protesters in Denver), it is such a nice contrast to see the police hang back while students vandalized cars and threw rocks at reporters in protest of Paterno's firing. That's AMERICAN values for ya.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by weminuche View Post
    Think about it. The ONLY reason this is out in the open now and people are being fired left and right and charges brought against many people is bec. one brave victim and his mom took it to CPS. Had they not done that, Sandusky would probably be with some other poor kid tonight and tomorrow.

There is something so horrible about this that many people not only dont want to get involved, they dont even want to believe what they actually see and hear. They just rationalize it away. I think that is a big part of the reason that this case is so emotional for many. It hints that something about our society is allowing these horrible incidents to happen, and makes us all feel somewhat responsible.

While I do not think many here in the US would let a child lie in the street and get run over repeated as occurred in that Chinese video, it does seem to be frighteningly common for people to not act in matters of suspected child abuse. We have seen coverups like this in churches, schools, companies, boy scouts, etc. It is not something unique to Penn State.
    While I don't think you can say that all silence over potential abuse cases stem from the same attitudes and motivations, I'm also not sure why anyone is surprised that these things occur in the United States.

This is the way things work. People who have had power and prestige consistently get away with things that those without power and prestige do not. Not just here, but anywhere. It is pathetic but unsurprising.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    While I don't think you can say that all silence over potential abuse cases stem from the same attitudes and motivations, I'm also not sure why anyone is surprised that these things occur in the United States.

This is the way things work. People who have had power and prestige consistently get away with things that those without power and prestige do not. Not just here, but anywhere. It is pathetic but unsurprising.
    From Graham Green's "Our Man in Havana":

"Did you torture him?"

Captain Segura laughed. "No. He doesn't belong to the torturable class."

"I didn't know there were class-distinctions in torture."

"Dear Mr. Wormold, surely you realize there are people who expect to be tortured and others who would be outraged by the idea. One never tortures except by a kind of mutual agreement."
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Regarding the Chinese Girl incident, occurences like that happen a lot actually, not neccesarily with kids being run over, but with anyone in a dire situation while passerby do nothing. Like the murder of Kitty Genovese; or this one episode of What Would You Do? where they staged a homeless man passing out on a busy sidewalk: almost no one helped him or did anything, safe for one woman (whom was actually homeless IIRC) who tried to attract attention and help to the man in her raspy voice. Only then did some people actually intervene, but only after she had begged for help for at least several mintues.

There's a psychological term, I think, for phenomenon such as this, although I forget what it is called at the moment. Although from a Sociological perspective, I suppose that it would be theoretically possible that cultural standards may provide an explanation for why people generally do nothing in such situations. Either way, the core to this social problem needs to be found, and subsequently fixed.

I haven't really looked into the whole Penn State affiar, but I've seen enough legal injustices to gain an idea of what wrongs have happened. Like many social problems in the system (courts, police, ect.) it can be difficult to fix by means of the common people who live under such systems. But as long as one person can stand up against such injustices for what is right, there may still be hope; if a person can initate a heroic act then there is the possibility of stirring righteousness in others and developing some sort of change. But all in all, such social problem can be traced in the vices of apathy, conformity, and fear.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I think it's called the Bystander Effect or some such thing... but that's not exactly the case in this situation per se. For example, there was at least one incident where a single observer did witness an incident of sexual molestation/rape and did nothing or did the minimum. Basically the bystander effect occurs where so many people witness an incident that no one knows who is responsible to step in and help; the chances of aid increase dramatically, the less number of people who witness a crime or emergency.

No, this seems far more like My Lai, the incident in Vietnam where a bunch of war-stressed soldier shot the hell out of a small village of civilians and aging and children.... entirely butchered them. Women were raped, people were tortured, some mutilated; at some point, the remainders were lined up and then just mowed down and left. Around 350 people were butchered, although some estimates were higher. Eventually two letters were submitted to counter the 'glowing report' of the military investigation, one of the letters reached the Senate and White House, and eventually after another investigation, punishment was meted out.

But basically it was a situation where the responsibility was passed higher and higher up the chain until it left the realm of those at least somewhat within the group who had performed the atrocity and reached outside eyes. Everyone just said, "Oh, it's not really my decision to punish this, and I don't have jurisdiction, so my duty is done," and handed the ball off to someone else, and nothing was done.

Which seems to be the case here. People were too close to the situation to have any authority to do something about it, or were inclined to only do the bare minimum and not really go outside the system.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

These are just the things which come to light as a consequence of being scandalous, there's lots of anonymous abuse which doesnt make headlines, communities where almost everyone has been victimised by someone and it only stops when someone who is an outsider, somehow, goes to the authorities. Even then a lot hinges on the authorities response.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I found a great article on this:

http://www.chicagonow.com/south-side...andal-part-ii/

The Silence of Collusion is Deafening: Penn State Scandal, Part II

By SouthSideSportsChick, today at 3:48 pm

When I was working on my research for my PhD. at Loyola University of Chicago, I studied families who were court-ordered for molestation and abuse of their children. They received therapy for a minimum of one year, in a suburban agency, specializing in this issue.

Several of the teenagers, who were molested by their fathers or step-fathers, all reported: they held their mothers, their own mothers, just as responsible for the sexual abuse. “How so?” I asked. One 16 yr. old teen looked at me with anger and said, “Because she colluded. They all colluded.”

My eyes said it all. I wanted more information, but didn’t have the words. My mind was racing. Motherhood. I was a Mother. My friends were mothers. I had a Mother. My sister was a Mother. My 12 aunts were mothers.

I knew all the Mothers on my block at 89th and Clyde. Mrs. Rubicek had me over for cookies after Bobby Rubicek and I played ball together. Mrs. Schechter had me over for roasted chicken when my parents weren’t home. Mrs. Zilokowski made the best blueberry pancakes when I slept over at Lynette’s house.

I sat in silence, and they spoke up, one by one.

Teen Girl, age 16: “My Dad slipped into my bed at night, pulled down his pajamas, and rubbed his penis on me till “he came.” And that was when I was 8 yrs. old. He did it till I got to 7th grade. And then he stopped.”

“So how do you think your Mom would know?" I queried.

“She did the laundry. And she kept complaining that I went through ‘so many pairs of pajamas every week.’ I’m not dumb. That stuff from my Dad stinks and makes my pajamas get sticky and dries up ? so she knew.”

Teen Boy, age 17: My Mom worked swing shift as a waitress from 3 ? 11 pm. So our step-dad put us down at night. When he read me stories at bedtime when I was 5, he came into my bed and rubbed his hands up and down my legs and fondled me everywhere. I even told my Mom that I didn’t like him reading in bed with me and touching me . She scolded me, and said I was just jealous of him because I wanted my own Daddy back. And she said I was just making things up anyway ? because that’s what 5 yr. olds do.

Teen Girl, age 15: My Dad began “eyeing me” once I got a bra. It was weird. Then I hit 8th grade & he came into my bed at least 3 -4 nights a week and felt me up, especially my breasts. I could feel him "getting hard down there." It was disgusting. But he was real nice and gentle, and said “this is the way girls and Daddy’s show their love for each other once you get to be a woman. And now I get to show you what it will be like for you when you get married. You’ll know what to do with your husband.”

And I believed him. So one day I told my Mom about it, and she slapped me around real good. She told me to stop lying to her, and said he’d never do that ? and that I’d better be a virgin when I got married, and all that. She grounded me for 3 weeks, and I missed our volleyball tournament. I was real upset and didn’t know what to tell our coach or the team. What would I say?

Collusion. I got it. And now, you got it too.

How many people colluded in the Penn State scandal? I’ll run it down, as reported below by the Associated Press on November 7 and 9, 2011.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 ? Victim 6 is taken into the showers with Sandusky when he is 11 years old. When Victim 6 is dropped off at home, his hair is wet. His mother reports the incident to the university police, who investigate.

Detective Ronald Schreffler testifies that he and State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston, with the consent of the mother of Victim 6, eavesdrop on two conversations the mother of Victim 6 has with Sandusky.

Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, testifies he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky, and that Sandusky admits showering naked with Victim 6, admits to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admits that it was wrong.

The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charges.

Fall 2000 ? A janitor named James Calhoun observes Sandusky in the showers of the Lasch Football Building with a young boy, known as Victim 8, pinned up against the wall, performing oral sex on the boy.

He tells other janitorial staff immediately. Fellow Office of Physical Plant employee Ronald Petrosky cleans the showers at Lasch and sees Sandusky and the boy, who he describes as being between the ages of 11 and 13.

Calhoun tells other physical plant employees what he saw, including Jay Witherite, his immediate supervisor. Witherite tells him to whom he should report the incident. Calhoun was a temporary employee and never makes a report. Victim 8’s identity is unknown.

March 1, 2002 ?A Penn State graduate assistant enters the locker room at the Lasch Football Building. In the showers, he sees a naked boy, known as Victim 2, whose age he estimates to be 10 years old, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant tells his father immediately.

March 2, 2002 ? In the morning,the graduate assistant calls Coach Joe Paterno and goes to Paterno’s home, where he reports what he has seen.

March 3, 2002 ? Paterno calls Tim Curley, Penn State Athletic Director to his home the next day and reports a version of what the grad assistant had said.

March 2002 ? Later in the month the graduate assistant is called to a meeting with Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz. The grad assistant reports what he has seen and Curley and Schultz say they will look into it.

March 27, 2002 (approximate) ? The graduate assistant is never questioned by university police and no other entity conducts an investigation until the graduate assistant testifies in Grand Jury in December 2010.

Spring 2008 ? Victim 1 is a freshman in a Clinton County high school. After the boy’s mother calls the school to report sexual assault, Sandusky is barred from that school district and the matter is reported to authorities as mandated by law.

Early 2009 ?An investigation by the Pennsylvania attorney general begins when a Clinton County, Pa. teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period.

Nov. 5, 2011 ? Sandusky is arrested and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I count at least 14 different “authorities” who knew of the allegations of the sexual abuse performed by Sandusky, yet it took over 13 years to finally arrest him.

When money, politics, power, college athletics, national reputation, college alumni, and Division I football makes millions for the university, a few abused boys are trumped by 409 Collegiate Football wins and TV ratings. Why bother taking any legal or moral action? Father, Where Art Thou? A line in the sand has been drawn, period.

And as David Haugh says: Paterno deserves no pity. His Wikipedia should begin with just that. Paterno knew what was going on for 9 years, and never followed up with his one meager report.

So let me finish by returning to the Mothers from my research, and all the Mothers whose children remain confused by their Mother's inaction of not protecting them when knowing of the abuse. In my 30 years of work, my empathy goes out to them also, since nearly all of these mothers were victims/ survivors themselves. These Moms suffered the same fate as their children, in one form or another. They had no where to go, no one to talk to, and the only way to escape their own abuse was to marry the first guy who came along at 16 yrs. old; to take them away from their own monsters.

And for the scores of victims/ survivors of Penn State, the monster is not just Sandusky. He may be at the head of the class, but it's the multitude of the other 14 monsters who should have done their job, but didn't. It's Classless. And Deafening. And Colluding in Silence. And in this case, the Silence is Cowardly.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

This happened with the Boston Red Sox, too.

http://www.redsoxlife.com/2011/11/be...led-child.html
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."