User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 38

  1. #11
    Senior Member Spurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I don't see how democracy is hindered any less by regulating who can create and vote on laws than it is by regulating who can vote on those people.
    Good point.

    But that doesn't make your suggestion any less quasi-Fascist.

  2. #12
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    True, that's why I edited it
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  3. #13
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Minimum educational requirements that necessitate both:
    • A BA in Economics.
    • A BA in Law with a focus on Constitutional Law.

    Too many politicians are illiterate, as it relates to both fields.
    Dear God, that's a terrible idea. Unless you want a sure-fire way of guaranteeing that a single ideology dominates in the political arena.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  4. #14
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    This is where I stopped reading.
    I guess you'd fail the test.

    The purpose of these questions is to stimulate discussion about whether these ideas are good or not. Perhaps you'd like to actually provide a point of view?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    A politician should be held to the highest ethical standards
    What standards? (eg. how do we determine it empirically?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    1. Congress won't pass requirements into law that they don't meet.

    2. If politicians aren't good enough to be in office then people shouldn't vote for them.

    3. It might make more sense to put requirements on voters instead of politicians.

    4. Politicians can't possibly be an expert in everything that is important. That's why they have staffs.
    To expand then,
    1. We are talking about more ideal systems.
    3. What requirements?
    4. What requirements should they place on staff whom make recommendations and decisions in particular areas?

  5. #15
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    That's a short term win for a long term blowout loss. What about bioethics? Science? Engineering? We need people who know this shit inside and out in politics. Politicians should come from various fields of expertise and to prioritize one field is to ignore the concerns of another, which will only lead to huge problems later on. Today's economic crisis is tomorrow's bioethics crisis, where poorly regulated biological interventions irreversibly screw with gene pool diversity and other major problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Dear God, that's a terrible idea. Unless you want a sure-fire way of guaranteeing that a single ideology dominates in the political arena.
    Note the "minimum" educational requirements. Considering how these two aspects dominate legislation as it relates to running any country, I think it key politicians have the cursory knowledge provided by bachelor levels in both studies.

    As far as having a single ideology, not a chance. There are many schools of Economic thought.

  6. #16
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Note the "minimum" educational requirements. Considering how these two aspects dominate legislation as it relates to running any country, I think it key politicians have the cursory knowledge provided by bachelor levels in both studies.

    As far as having a single ideology, not a chance. There are many schools of Economic thought.
    You're seeing the value of economics because you're in that world. No one's disagreeing with it, we're just saying you're completely ignoring other equally or more important worldviews. Every empire crumbles eventually; history has shown us that. No one who understands the nuances of biological interventions like designer babies is going to say that economics is more important than biology. If the plan is to keep humans from irrevocably screwing themselves over, we need informed politicians regulating what kinds of interventions are okay and what kinds are going to kill humans as we know it. (As just one example.)

    That's also ridiculous about the multiple schools of economic thought. So what? There are 50 different kinds of biologists with 3 times as many different interpretations between them on how to negotiate ecology, genetics, etc. But you don't want only biologists running policy, do you? Despite their considerable differences, they share a one ideology about what kinds of things should be worth drawing everyone's attention towards and what kinds of things are less significant.

    Or maybe someone else thinks only religious leaders should run politics. Or maybe someone else things only education communities should decide how to run the country.

    Either people need to be in school earning BAs for decades to make everyone happy or your plan is far more harmful than helpful.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  7. #17
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    You're seeing the value of economics because you're in that world. No one's disagreeing with it, we're just saying you're completely ignoring other equally or more important worldviews. Every empire crumbles eventually; history has shown us that. No one who understands the nuances of biological interventions like designer babies is going to say that economics is more important than biology. If the plan is to keep humans from irrevocably screwing themselves over, we need informed politicians regulating what kinds of interventions are okay and what kinds are going to kill humans as we know it. (As just one example.)

    That's also ridiculous about the multiple schools of economic thought. So what? There are 50 different kinds of biologists with 3 times as many different interpretations between them on how to negotiate ecology, genetics, etc. But you don't want only biologists running policy, do you? Despite their considerable differences, they share a one ideology about what kinds of things should be worth drawing everyone's attention towards and what kinds of things are less significant.

    Or maybe someone else thinks only religious leaders should run politics. Or maybe someone else things only education communities should decide how to run the country.

    Either people need to be in school earning BAs for decades to make everyone happy or your plan is far more harmful than helpful.
    Money makes the world go round, particularly from a country's perspective as it relates to the world. If a minimal understanding isn't there, you end up with $15 trillion dollar national debt. Oh wait...

    As far as ethics are concerned, having a minimal education level in several studies, doesn't negate ethical concerns or judgments whether they encompass science or education.

  8. #18
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    I guess you'd fail the test.

    The purpose of these questions is to stimulate discussion about whether these ideas are good or not. Perhaps you'd like to actually provide a point of view?
    Sure.
    It's a sucky idea.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Tiger Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    There is already a system in place to guarantee only the 'best' politicians succeed.

    They must be able to:

    Lie convincingly
    Smile charmingly while they rob you blind
    Look good in expensive clothing, vehicles and advertisement paid for with your money
    Gain your support while they blatantly commit subversion and treason against their nation
    Be so slippery and well connected that even crimes that should = prison are laughed off
    Pick away at everything they took an oath to protect and still have the populace worship them

    Any politician who does not have these attributes or would stand against those who do is systematically discredited, maligned, slandered and shunned by popular media and the psuedo-democratic organizations that churn out voter fraud and patently false utopian ideologies.

    Hell of a system, yes?
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

  10. #20
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    If a minimal understanding isn't there, you end up with $15 trillion dollar national debt. Oh wait...
    Bread and Circuses.

    It's not a lack of economics knowledge that creates a massive debt. The politicians' career is hostage to the will of a people that only care about themselves.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 294
    Last Post: 10-07-2017, 08:07 PM
  2. is it possible to be a peaceful muslim?
    By Il Morto Qui Parla in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 09:11 PM
  3. Would you choose to be born?
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 05:34 AM
  4. Is it Illogical to be Dominantly Je?
    By Blackwater in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO