User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who's your GOP pick for 2012?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bachmann

0 0%
  • Cain

1 3.33%
  • Gingrich

0 0%
  • Huntsman

4 13.33%
  • Paul

23 76.67%
  • Perry

0 0%
  • Romney

2 6.67%
  • Santorum

0 0%
First 7151617181927 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    If you give that extra information you may call them cuts. But, without it people presume a cut will mean a decrease in spending from current rates not less of an increase.
    Ok.

I can accept that.

That kind of speak is always embedded in these debates, though.

Not that that makes it any better, but, unfortunately, the electorate wants soundbites: not numbers and graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    Its a very good thing. Our military budget is needlessly bloated. If we cut our budget IN HALF we would still be spending more than double the amount that Russia (2nd biggest military budget in the world) does. We dont need that much.
    This is such a ridiculous oversimplification, it's not even worth seriously responding to.

Once again, you show yourself to be little more than an ideologue.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

^it reminds me of the onslaught of advertising "buy more and save more" [for items discounted from its suggested retail price] where in reality the more we buy the less we save regardless of sale prices. Its a shell game and the intent is to deceive the taxpayer/voting public.

Why not just budget a 3 trillion for military spending and then before its dispensed cut it to 1 trillion. Wow the congress would be able to brag about saving 2 trillion out of thin air!

Its a shell game.

I wonder what the state of individual security within in the States when money becomes nearly as worthless as the paper its printed on. Thats something much more frightening the the boogieman terrorists dreamed up by the mastermind terrorist armed with EMPs of the the neoCon RINOs.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

You response might be meaningful if it weren't for everything I said about the actual level of spending, its various potential growth rates, the likely level of growth for the US economy, where we stand relative to historical levels of military spending, and where those various potential growth rates would take us. But keep on with that internally derived Ti logic! Who cares about reality!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    You response might be meaningful if it weren't for everything I said about the actual level of spending, its various potential growth rates, the likely level of growth for the US economy, where we stand relative to historical levels of military spending, and where those various potential growth rates would take us. But keep on with that internally derived Ti logic! Who cares about reality!
    None of that matters. What matters is that we have sufficient funding to defend ourselves. That's it. We have plenty to meet that demand. If billions can be wasted on new fighter projects (JSF) then it's safe to say the DOD has too much.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    None of that matters. What matters is that we have sufficient funding to defend ourselves. That's it. We have plenty to meet that demand. If billions can be wasted on new fighter projects (JSF) then it's safe to say the DOD has too much.
    No offense, but I'll give far more credence to Robert Gates' opinion on this matter than to yours.

MBTI
    ENTP

1) We are in massive debt.

2) We are spending exponentially more money on the military than is needed

Therefore:

Cutting Military spending would be a good thing.

What exactly are your complaints with this?
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

No offense, but I'll give far more credence to Robert Gates' opinion on this matter than to yours.
    Wow, a former secretary of defense wants more money for defense? Big surprise there. I'd never have dreamed it...
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Wow, a former secretary of defense wants more money for defense? Big surprise there. I'd never have dreamed it...
    He's also one of the greatest civil servants of the last 30 years, and if you knew what you were talking about you would know this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

He's also one of the greatest civil servants of the last 30 years, and if you knew what you were talking about you would know this.
    I'm not calling his character into question; I'm calling his objectivity regarding the defense of the country into question.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    What exactly are your complaints with this?
    The complaints are clear as day.

If you understood how the military works, you'd understand how damaging gutting it really is.

And if you actually understood the budget, you'd know that Medicare is far-and-away the biggest deficit driver over the coming decades.

And if you'd simply looked at the chart I supplied above, or read what I'd said, you'd know that defense is at historically low levels.

But I certainly wouldn't expect to hear you talk about reforming Medicare, even though it is the real long-term problem.

As such, as I told you before, you've shown yourself to be little more than an ideologue.

And, as I also told you before, I don't care to discuss politics with ideologues.