User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 63

  1. #51
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MsBleedingCrow View Post
    I've personally met a few who live on the streets because they want to... but I've found that they're a minority. Apparently it had something to do with feeling trapped in a house, apartment, etc and they'd rather be as close to the world as possible. I find it a bit strange also, but oh well. I respect their choice.
    And among that minority, only a fraction of them are being truly honest with themselves/others about wanting to live in the rain and snow.

  2. #52
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MsBleedingCrow View Post
    I've personally met a few who live on the streets because they want to... but I've found that they're a minority. Apparently it had something to do with feeling trapped in a house, apartment, etc and they'd rather be as close to the world as possible. I find it a bit strange also, but oh well. I respect their choice.
    Alot of the homeless are addicts. I see them out at night, panhandling, and some are so drunk they can hardly walk. There are shelters around here that will help them if they want help. Most of them refuse it, for one, because they are not dedicated to getting better.

    I don't think anyone chooses their initial state and situation, but i do think many refuse to improve their situations, for various reasons.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  3. #53
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Alot of the homeless are addicts. I see them out at night, panhandling, and some are so drunk they can hardly walk. There are shelters around here that will help them if they want help. Most of them refuse it, for one, because they are not dedicated to getting better.

    I don't think anyone chooses their initial state and situation, but i do think many refuse to improve their situations, for various reasons.
    There is some truth to that statement. Generally, a homeless shelter can only do so much if the homeless person doesn't want to change.

  4. #54
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    There is some truth to that statement. Generally, a homeless shelter can only do so much if the homeless person doesn't want to change.
    Yes. Some of them even have families that have tried over and over again to help them, but they just keep running off to do their own thing.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  5. #55
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Alot of the homeless are addicts. I see them out at night, panhandling, and some are so drunk they can hardly walk. There are shelters around here that will help them if they want help. Most of them refuse it, for one, because they are not dedicated to getting better.

    I don't think anyone chooses their initial state and situation, but i do think many refuse to improve their situations, for various reasons.
    Its difficult to generalise, I've known people who moved through the homeless shelter system, having problems of their own because they refused to conform to a lot of the staff of the shelter's expectations of all homeless persons being alike, ie chaotic, he got into trouble and was almost arrested for putting a lock on the door of the room he used because of his concerns that his belongings would be looted by other homeless people who where chaotic drug users.

    Now, do I think this individual is a paragon of virtue, perhaps not, he's tough and wasnt suddenly homeless for no reason, on the other hand he had a lot of good things to say about supposedly universal services which are open to anyone who goes in and out of the homeless or shelter scene during a crisis.

    Its no doubt a reality that a lot of, probably the majority of, homeless people fit that frame, although services and public expectations help to create and preserve that too.

    I've good reason to believe that anyone who's an addict remains an addict because their circumstances, no matter how detestable to anyone else, are to them pretty tolerable and the stability or mundanity of a bad situation is preferable to the threatened turmoil of change, even if its promises something better.

    Does that mean that services should be taken away or actions put in train which will make their circumstances more intolerable and compell them to change? I doubt that's possible for most of them, consequential thinking, even when literal survival odds are in question, isnt the strongest suit of a chaotic addict. Even if it was what's the cost? What is the objective social cost of letting destitution and depravity reign in addictions or other unsocial or antisocial behaviour? For the few bucks saved you're looking at some mean desensitisation being expected on everyones part, maybe that's already happened in some quaters hence the popularity of devil take the hind most libertarianism, but I think it could give rise to some pretty nasty norms.

  6. #56
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Yes. Some of them even have families that have tried over and over again to help them, but they just keep running off to do their own thing.
    To be honest I see a lot of those sorts of people as casualties of the cultural underpinnings of consumerism and capitalism.

    There's people in my own familial network who're addicts, I wouldnt argue that there's a touch of madness involved and piss poor emotional self-regulation (to speak nothing of self-reliance) but most of the time when they're abusing alcohol they will say, and I dont disbelieve them any longer to be honest, that they are attempting to pursue the good times which are promised to all.

    Their behaviour is totally and utterly ruinous, to more than simply themselves, but then I believe the message itself is ruinous, particularly if you've been convinced of it from an early age.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...n-police-video

    More violent class-warring thugs assault police officers today. Here we see a communist, socialist, muslim thug attacking Oakland's peace officers. Despite overwhelming danger, the Oakland PD protected and served this rebellious traitor. Miraculously, none of the brave officers were injured in this tense battle.

    How long must we live in fear of these protesting maniacs? If the protesters are willing to fight openly with the peace officers, imagine what they have in mind for you, a regular citizen. Be on your guard.

  8. #58
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,443

    Default

    Old news. Move on.

  9. #59
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...n-police-video

    More violent class-warring thugs assault police officers today. Here we see a communist, socialist, muslim thug attacking Oakland's peace officers. Despite overwhelming danger, the Oakland PD protected and served this rebellious traitor. Miraculously, none of the brave officers were injured in this tense battle.

    How long must we live in fear of these protesting maniacs? If the protesters are willing to fight openly with the peace officers, imagine what they have in mind for you, a regular citizen. Be on your guard.
    Occupy Oakland: Iraq war veteran Kayvan Sabehgi beaten by police - video

    Protester and three-tour American veteran Kayvan Sabehgi was beaten by Oakland police during the Occupy protest's general strike on 2 November. Sabehgi, who was 'completely peaceful', according to witnesses [and the video], was left with a lacerated spleen
    Worse yet, someone among the traitorous, unwashed masses dared to record the peace officer going at it with not even a countering move on the part of the vet. On a public street, no less. The nerve of some people.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  10. #60
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Old news. Move on.
    How can we move on when, even today, these vicious, jobless, bottomfeeders continue to assault our own peacekeepers? How can you possibly ignore the severity of this situation?

Similar Threads

  1. Word Association (no, it won't increase your post count)
    By Tigerlily in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 25779
    Last Post: 06-29-2017, 06:47 PM
  2. Protesting the Iraq War may be a Crime?
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 08:00 AM
  3. Swarm of violent protesters assault police
    By Beargryllz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 07:20 PM
  4. [INTP] INTP growing more cynical, losing more friends
    By intpgirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 08:54 PM
  5. MLK defence of non-violent protest and human dignity
    By Owl in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 10:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO