User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Default Celebrities & Politics - Do They Mix?

Let's assume everyone agreed on the definitions. (that'll prevent the INTP Semantic Nazis from storming in )

Do you think H/Bollywood (and international equivalents) is good for politics IYHO? Or do they cause star-struck bias contamination?

They probably do get more people to vote, albeit likely not 100% for the right reasons.

They also may raise issues that fans will be receptive to.

If you're a democrat, you'll probably say yes. The ends justify the means, yes?

And what about their running for office? Like Donald Trump, for instance, though he dropped out. :thumbsdown: :boo:

A bonus of that is that it's easier to find out more about them.

Your thoughts? And state your political leanings.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I think it's fine. I mean they're human too - if it's important to them it's pretty rough to expect them to keep their traps shut about it. However I do think it's important that such expressions are appropriate to the time and place. I'm thinking of all the various actors who who got themselves banned for many years from the Oscars for this - I admire their conviction and all, but it's kinda obnoxious.

I'm not sure how much it influences people - it doesn't really influence me, other than to perhaps draw my attention to a particular issue.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I wasn't under the impression that whether or not a Hollywood actor endorsed a candidate made much of a difference.

And if celebrity endorsement is enough to change your mind, please cancel your voter registration.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

They're certainly free to express their views, but I always look dimly on a celebrity who openly campaigns. Even if I happen to agree with them. Just because they're good at whatever it is they do doesn't mean they're a policy expert.

FWIW, I wouldn't classify Donald Trump as a celebrity involving himself in politics. He was a successful businessman before he ever got on TV.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    FWIW, I wouldn't classify Donald Trump as a celebrity involving himself in politics. He was a successful businessman before he ever got on TV.
    I don't understand. How does his being a successful businessman before he ever got on TV mean that he's not a celebrity involving himself in politics?

Frankly, I don't give a shit about celebrities who want to spout off their political views. Why wouldn't they? They have the advantages of influence and access to widely viewed media channels. Of course, I'm personally not about to take what any of them say at face value, since they're not experts and (because of the short medium) usually don't say more than just soundbites, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't voice their opinion (even if I think it's a heinously stupid one.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I like it a lot. They're modeling political interest and civic responsibility (to varying degrees of success, but whatever, elementary school teachers model life skills and learning strategies to varying degrees of success too. Their contributions are still necessary for many people).

The intellectual responsibility of having a just reason for one's political philosophy and policy stances can come after the general interest and general civic responsibility.

Like it or not, if one is pragmatic they'll recognize that general political interest has to come before informed political interest. Borrowing an admired celeb's politics for a few years while one matures is a practical and common stepping stone to being a good citizen.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I like it a lot. They're modeling political interest and civic responsibility (to varying degrees of success, but whatever, elementary school teachers model life skills and learning strategies to varying degrees of success too. Their contributions are still necessary for many people).

The intellectual responsibility of having a just reason for one's political philosophy and policy stances can come after the general interest and general civic responsibility.

Like it or not, if one is pragmatic they'll recognize that general political interest has to come before informed political interest. Borrowing an admired celeb's politics for a few years while one matures is a practical and common stepping stone to being a good citizen.
    Agreed.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I think some celebrities have influenced me to not care about politics. "I want to not give a shit, just like this guy who writes songs about not giving a shit." Does that count?

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    I wasn't under the impression that whether or not a Hollywood actor endorsed a candidate made much of a difference.

And if celebrity endorsement is enough to change your mind, please cancel your voter registration.
    Many of my friends voted for Obama just because their favorite celebrities did. One guy announced this intention and then it later came out that he never even knew that he was a democrat.
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    They're certainly free to express their views, but I always look dimly on a celebrity who openly campaigns. Even if I happen to agree with them. Just because they're good at whatever it is they do doesn't mean they're a policy expert.

And actors are actors before they get on TV (ie, famous).
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN: