User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I like it a lot. They're modeling political interest and civic responsibility (to varying degrees of success, but whatever, elementary school teachers model life skills and learning strategies to varying degrees of success too. Their contributions are still necessary for many people).

The intellectual responsibility of having a just reason for one's political philosophy and policy stances can come after the general interest and general civic responsibility.

Like it or not, if one is pragmatic they'll recognize that general political interest has to come before informed political interest. Borrowing an admired celeb's politics for a few years while one matures is a practical and common stepping stone to being a good citizen.
    My thoughts exactly. It's like fashion, people may copy celebrity fads without realizing how hideous they look in them, but they eventually figure out a way to borrow the idea, but be more mindful about how to wear the style.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I don't understand. How does his being a successful businessman before he ever got on TV mean that he's not a celebrity involving himself in politics?
    Because he has a background that is much more likely to make him conversant with the issues than someone whose sole career is as an actor or a singer. Everyone knew who Donald Trump was before he had a TV show, and he could have involved himself in politics just as successfully if he had never done the show. The show wasn't the source of his success, it was a result of it. I think that's materially different than an actor without any demonstrable related experience trying to influence opinions.

To draw a parallel, Mike Huckabee was governor of Arkansas, ran for president in 2008, and is now the host of a TV show. If he were to run again, it would be misleading to say that he is a celebrity involving himself in politics, because that show is not the original or primary source of his public persona. Whatever you think of them, both he and Trump became public figures for achievements that are much more likely to give credence to their political opinions than acting on a TV show or having a hit song.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Because he has a background that is much more likely to make him conversant with the issues than someone whose sole career is as an actor or a singer. Everyone knew who Donald Trump was before he had a TV show, and he could have involved himself in politics just as successfully if he had never done the show. The show wasn't the source of his success, it was a result of it. I think that's materially different than an actor without any demonstrable related experience trying to influence opinions.

To draw a parallel, Mike Huckabee was governor of Arkansas, ran for president in 2008, and is now the host of a TV show. If he were to run again, it would be misleading to say that he is a celebrity involving himself in politics, because that show is not the original or primary source of his public persona. Whatever you think of them, both he and Trump became public figures for achievements that are much more likely to give credence to their political opinions than acting on a TV show or having a hit song.
    I guess I just don't like the whole businessman canard in politics. I don't understand why business experience is widely held by the public as being valuable to a political career. Oh well.

You're right about Trump, though. He was always vaguely involved in politics even before he became famous (notoriously, actually.) So he used his notoriety as a big time piece of shit and political skeeze to become a celebrity.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Anew Leaf

What I have a problem with is when the celebrity campaigns and endorses... and then gets butthurt when some people choose to dislike them for this. They can believe and do whatever they want, but I don't have to fork out my $10 for a movie ticket if I decide they are too stupid in real life to watch for 90 minutes.

Case in point the idiot actor who pointed to the Haitian earthquake as a symptom of global warming. Lrn2scyentz.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Let's assume everyone agreed on the definitions. (that'll prevent the INTP Semantic Nazis from storming in )

Do you think H/Bollywood (and international equivalents) is good for politics IYHO? Or do they cause star-struck bias contamination?

They probably do get more people to vote, albeit likely not 100% for the right reasons.

They also may raise issues that fans will be receptive to.

If you're a democrat, you'll probably say yes. The ends justify the means, yes?
    And what about their running for office? Like Donald Trump, for instance, though he dropped out. :thumbsdown: :boo:

A bonus of that is that it's easier to find out more about them.

Your thoughts? And state your political leanings.
    Why single out democrats? Especially since its usually been the libertarians bag to make connections like that, even in a thread on this forum.

To be honest I think that politicans and politics morphed into advertising and public relations a long time ago.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why single out democrats? Especially since its usually been the libertarians bag to make connections like that, even in a thread on this forum.

To be honest I think that politicans and politics morphed into advertising and public relations a long time ago.
    Don't get so damn butthurt. The majority of Hollywood, or at least the ones who speak out, tend to be democrats. Of course politics morphed into advertising & PR - that's basically all campaigning is.
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Don't get so damn butthurt. The majority of Hollywood, or at least the ones who speak out, tend to be democrats. Of course politics morphed into advertising & PR - that's basically all campaigning is.
    Well, I suppose you're posting is true to type.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well, I suppose you're posting is true to type.
    Elaborate.
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Elaborate.
    You projected emoting heavily in that last post.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

do they mix? yes
    should they mix? no
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire