User Tag List

12 Last

Default Who needs counselling and why?

Inspired by a tangent in another thread.

From the days of Freud there where debates about therapy terminal and interminal, just who needed therapy and who didnt, some of them argued that anyone could benefit, others that not everyone needed therapy and it was an option to be made recourse to when a crisis occured or symptoms indicated it was required. What do you think?

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Justin Bieber. I'm going with Justin Bieber. Those childhood stars always end up crazy eventually.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Justin Bieber. I'm going with Justin Bieber. Those childhood stars always end up crazy eventually.

Yeah, definitely!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Top 10 Reasons INDIVIDUALS Seek Counseling

"Fact is that people seek counseling for many reasons. Here are a few:

Down moods and depression
    Marriage or other relationship problems
    Low self-esteem
    Need to understand themselves better
    Feel anxious and / or suffering panic attacks
    Dissatisfied with career or job
    Working through major life changes
    Want to become more assertive
    Grieving the loss of a loved one or pet
    Experiencing too much stress

Professional counseling may be able to help with issues like these.You can have a happier life! Why suffer any longer?"

I think alot of people need counseling who don't think they do, and don't seek counseling, therapy, or psychiatry. If you look at the list above, I think you may see why. How many people do you know with low self esteem? How many people do you know who are non-assertive and it affects their life choices in a negative way? How many people do you know that need to understand themselves better? Have marriage or other relationship problems, (or are bitter sob's from their last relationship, and are carrying around a hefty amount of baggage)? Experience down moods or depression? Or they just aren't moving in the right direction? Have issues from their childhood? Have problems finding a job? Problems staying motivated? Simply need to change? etc etc etc
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Honestly, based on that list... I'd say every single person in the world probably needs therapy.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Honestly, based on that list... I'd say every single person in the world probably needs therapy.
    It does seem that way.

I generally think people need counseling/therapy when they have blaring issues that need to be worked out but probably won't be, for a long time, because the person either isn't aware of them or doesn't want to change, and doesn't think anything could be improved. That's about 50%. (Just based on my silly guesstimates, of course). The other 25% are honestly insane, or have very serious issues, and need therapy and psychiatry. But.... check out this article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28002991.../#.TrLDkrLO670

Almost one in five young American adults has a personality disorder that interferes with everyday life, and even more abuse alcohol or drugs, researchers reported Monday in the most extensive study of its kind.
    The disorders include problems such as obsessive or compulsive tendencies and anti-social behavior that can sometimes lead to violence. The study also found that fewer than 25 percent of college-aged Americans with mental problems get treatment.

Study co-author Dr. Mark Olfson of Columbia University and New York State Psychiatric Institute called the widespread lack of treatment particularly worrisome. He said it should alert not only "students and parents, but also deans and people who run college mental health services about the need to extend access to treatment."

Counting substance abuse, the study found that nearly half of young people surveyed have some sort of psychiatric condition, including students and non-students.

Personality disorders were the second most common problem behind drug or alcohol abuse as a single category. The disorders include obsessive, anti-social and paranoid behaviors that are not mere quirks but actually interfere with ordinary functioning.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, an estimated 1 in four U.S. adults suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think anyone can use therapy unless you're something Godlike- whole in every way.

That being said, if you're like me, therapy can be a bad thing- I think it's for people who enjoy unbiased impersonal sources to talk to. (That's a lot of people.) I like opinions from people who know me on a very deep level- I don't think we can achieve that sitting in cozy arm chairs in an office. I can tell them what's going on now, and briefly recap my entire life- but those who have known me 10+ years have a better view of my past and actions and reactions and thoughts- can get a more accurate response to issues.

Very complicated mental issues and chemical imbalances definitely need the work of a skilled professional in every case.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think that having good friends to discuss your problems with is an ideal situation. I have a number of friends who I've done a lot of that with over the years, at times, and it has been fairly mutual.

On the other hand, I would say that if you are treating your friend(s) like a therapist (ie. expecting them to be available for venting at any time you feel you require it, constantly needing affirmation from them, dumping all your negativity on them, telling them about your problems but refusing to take responsibility for changing them) - or if you are trapped in harmful patterns of behaviour that have a distinctly negative effect on your life and those of others, there's at least a good chance you need therapy.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    That being said, if you're like me, therapy can be a bad thing- I think it's for people who enjoy unbiased impersonal sources to talk to. (That's a lot of people.) I like opinions from people who know me on a very deep level- I don't think we can achieve that sitting in cozy arm chairs in an office. I can tell them what's going on now, and briefly recap my entire life- but those who have known me 10+ years have a better view of my past and actions and reactions and thoughts- can get a more accurate response to issues.
    This is what I do too. I get feedback from people I am close to. I don't use counselors or therapists, but I try to stay in-touch with myself. I do think it takes a certain type of person to give the right feedback; a special type of relationship, with the right person. Many people build these with therapists or counselors.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It depends a lot of how you define therapy. There are lots of different styles that are so different, it's weird to even call them the same thing. Freudian psychoanalysis and behavioral therapy are a good example. They try and resolve your issues, but that's about all they have in common. Their concept of what needs to be addressed and how is very, very different. Nearly everyone wants--or needs--something that some psychologist offers.