User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    It depends a lot of how you define therapy. There are lots of different styles that are so different, it's weird to even call them the same thing. Freudian psychoanalysis and behavioral therapy are a good example. They try and resolve your issues, but that's about all they have in common. Their concept of what needs to be addressed and how is very, very different. Nearly everyone wants--or needs--something that some psychologist offers.
    Yes, it depends on your mental disorder or issue, as to what type of therapy you need.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Yes, it depends on your mental disorder or issue, as to what type of therapy you need.
    That's kind of simplifying what I said and meant. Some people have local issues like "how do I be more assertive with my brother?" They don't need to see a therapist for that, but they can. Some will help them and some will waste their time. Other people have more global issues like "what should I spend my life doing?" and "how do I achieve intimacy with people?" Then there are people who don't want therapy but need it, like politicians and attorneys. Perhaps they need the most therapy from the most qualified therapists, but in my opinion, we haven't really articulated what their problem is (honesty, integrity) or developed adequate treatments.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    That's kind of simplifying what I said and meant. Some people have local issues like "how do I be more assertive with my brother?" They don't need to see a therapist for that, but they can. Some will help them and some will waste their time. Other people have more global issues like "what should I spend my life doing?" and "how do I achieve intimacy with people?" Then there are people who don't want therapy but need it, like politicians and attorneys. Perhaps they need the most therapy from the most qualified therapists, but in my opinion, we haven't really articulated what their problem is (honesty, integrity) or developed adequate treatments.
    It's a lot more than just politicians or attorneys that need therapy, but don't think they do. I estimate that 50% at least need it, but either don't know it, don't think so, or couldn't care less.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    It's a lot more than just politicians or attorneys that need therapy, but don't think they do. I estimate that 50% at least need it, but either don't know it, don't think so, or couldn't care less.
    You may be right. I wasn't listing politicians and attorneys to be exhaustive, just to give an example of people who we don't normally think of as needing therapy. Couples, parents, teens, kids, older people, a lot of them can use some therapy too. And if we're talking about global issues, we could probably include everyone.

I think that people need therapy when their irrational thoughts hamper their physical or emotional life.

Some people are good at helping another rationalize irrational thoughts.