First 12

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    What causes boredom though? Depression? Does the state have the right to force those with depression to have treatment?
    I mentioned depression and you mentioned the state in the OP.

I take back my comment.

Even with piles of fascinating information sitting here for me to read,

I'm depressed and bored out of my mind.

Maybe it's an extrovert thing? When I'm alone I'm bored out of my mind.

FigerPuppet

Whoever has lived in a rural society knows that boredom is a huge social problem because of the effects it has on a large part of the youth - not so much adults. Many teenagers do stupid things when they're in a group and there's nothing to do except mostly stupid things. This is happens in the evenings when they cannot hang out at one of their houses because their parents want peace, so they are thrown outside where there's absolutely nothing sensible to use ones time on. It is therefore very important that there exist social clubs controlled by adults where the teenagers can go in the evenings to hang out, because this will remove most of the pull that teenagers feel toward stupid and potentially illegal acts. These clubs, though, are unfortunately becoming less common thanks to budget cuts.

Let me add that this problem isn't just restricted to rural areas. Lower-class ghettos experience the exact same problem for the exact same reason, except the problem manifests itself in much more dangerous ways due to the increased amount of stupid things that someone can spend his time on there. One consequence of youth boredom in a ghetto is an larger pool of potential gang recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Whoever has lived in a rural society knows that boredom is a huge social problem because of the effects it has on a large part of the youth - not so much adults. Many teenagers do stupid things when they're in a group and there's nothing to do except mostly stupid things. This is happens in the evenings when they cannot hang out at one of their houses because their parents want peace, so they are thrown outside where there's absolutely nothing sensible to use ones time on. It is therefore very important that there exist social clubs controlled by adults where the teenagers can go in the evenings to hang out, because this will remove most of the pull that teenagers feel toward stupid and potentially illegal acts. These clubs, though, are unfortunately becoming less common thanks to budget cuts.

Let me add that this problem isn't just restricted to rural areas. Lower-class ghettos experience the exact same problem for the exact same reason, except the problem manifests itself in much more dangerous ways due to the increased amount of stupid things that someone can spend his time on there. One consequence of youth boredom in a ghetto is an larger pool of potential gang recruits.
    I hear what you're saying but where's the imagination and spontaneous order among the young then? Why are they so highly dependent upon adults or gang leaders to supply them with something to do (criminal or otherwise)?

I loved being young and living in a semi-rural place, small town, because we, myself and only two or three friends, could hang out by the river and talk shit or build bridges or dams until it was dark. When I think about how much free time I had and how well satisfied by extrovert drives where it seems positively idyllic in contrast with the rest of my life.