User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

How stupid. It seems like the OP already made up his/her mind about the question before the thread was even started. Why even ask?

Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Certainly seems to be drawing attention doesn't it? It's still yet to be seen whether or not they can use the attention properly, but that they got the attention at all amounts to something.
    Note that it also functions something like a rally, too. Is that useful? What do you think of the various Tea Party rallies?

I don't know if this is just a suggestion or something, but as far as the law is concerned, if protests were criminalized or even restricted in certain ways, I'd take that as a threat to democracy and representation.

Also, regarding the last comment about the protest being a breakdown of the process, I think that's quite wrong. It's part of the process. This has yet to become an insurrection, or even a riot (it is perhaps teetering on that in Oakland). And in case it does become a riot or an insurrection, remember that our founding fathers made this country that way. So maybe you disagree with the cause, but disavowing it because of the method seems odd.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What a refreshing change to read something constructive.
    Thank you for posting it, and welcome to the forum.
    I wonder if you'll ever know that constructive and unconstructive are not directly linked to whether or not you are in agreement with someone.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't know if this is just a suggestion or something, but as far as the law is concerned, if protests were criminalized or even restricted in certain ways, I'd take that as a threat to democracy and representation.
    It would certainly be a threat to democracy.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Democracy is a joke anyway. In EU they went all batshit insane on Greece because they planned to do a public vote on whether they want to accept the cost-cutting program or rather risk going out of the Euro (and it was clear they would vote against it). After lot of pressure this vote won't come now, and media present it as good news. Democracy is only wanted by politics as long as the expected result is one that they want. But next war they will again claim they fight for democracy, while breaking democracy in their own countries.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Anyway, to answer the question in the OP, yes, it is a "legitimate form of communication." The question, in fact, does not make sense to me. How can a form of communication be "illegitimate?" Sure, the content can be, but as with any medium, it's merely a tool to be used for good or for ill.
    Protests are legitimate in the sense that they are presently legal (barring certain restrictions set by various municipalities). Again, considering the definition of legitimacy, any form of communication that violates the law would be illegitimate. I think the word "reasonable" would have been a better word choice in the title of this thread.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DonCoryon View Post
    Protests are legitimate in the sense that they are presently legal (barring certain restrictions set by various municipalities). Again, considering the definition of legitimacy, any form of communication that violates the law would be illegitimate. I think the word "reasonable" would have been a better word choice in the title of this thread.
    Any form of communication that gets your point across as intended is a legitimate communication.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Any form of communication that gets your point across as intended is a legitimate communication.
    Incorrect, for reasons already stated and quoted by you.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DonCoryon View Post
    Incorrect, for reasons already stated and quoted by you.
    Ehh, I'll read next time, I was on the run and I regretted the comment as soon as I hit the button. In anycase, legitimacy and even reasonableness are very value and POV weighted words. Chances are, the more something is worth protesting, the less likely the powers will deem the expression legitimate or reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I wonder if you'll ever know that constructive and unconstructive are not directly linked to whether or not you are in agreement with someone.
    Get a job.