User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I think that protests are a legitimate form of communication, but are only optimally effective if used after other less dramatic measures have been used to no avail. That being said, having a clear message and a good public image help, and the OWS movement certainly has room for improvement in these areas.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I think that protests are a legitimate form of communication, but are only optimally effective if used after other less dramatic measures have been used to no avail. That being said, having a clear message and a good public image help, and the OWS movement certainly has room for improvement in these areas.
    Yes, I think actions can also hurt the movement, if it is not properly orchestrated and led. The movement in Oakland lacks good leaders and managers. No one is standing up to speak particularly on the violence, from their side. In fact, the OWS Oakland FB page has renamed the plaza where they stand "Oscar Grant Plaza", which has nothing to do with the movement, but it's about another movement, and fighting the police. lol......... And people wonder why it is being dismissed.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Public demonstrations are legitimate and have been used effectively throughout history, but they shouldn't be used so frequently and for petty grievances. Rare public demonstrations are effective when used as a movement's climax and in conjunction with other forms of protest. Letter writing, voting, sedition, violent revolt, etc are all effective and legitimate when used at the appropriate time and place. Disorganized mobs are almost always inappropriate, unless you live in Seattle.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

The sad thing is, you don't get any attention in the classic media (and most of the older population for example is only reachable by those platforms, and without these people you cannot reach anything) by writing a blog, or making a YouTube video where you don't make a fool out of yourself by dancing like a retard (then you might still get into TV). If you on the other hand become violent, you are on TV for the whole day with 100% guarantee, and politics will have to take notice of this as well (not that they would change anything because of that, for that you would need to have money in the current system). This is no excuse for choosing violence as means to raising awareness to a problem, but you can understand something without supporting it. I can understand the frustration of people for sure, but I don't support violence.

edit: Just noticing (I am already tired) that it is about protests in general, not necessarily about protests which become violent. Well, protests are legitimate in my opinion. Of course, you can be against the way of communication, I am with you here too, but it follows the same way as what I said before, only the loudest ones get heard. If you are not shouting, they think you are still not unhappy enough with your situation. And when you look at established politicians, that is their way of communicating with each other as well, they are not able to communicate on a normal way with each other, so why would they be able with the general population?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

The only protest I've ever seen was from a religious group trying to tell everyone that they will go to hell for their sins unless they do something about it. I know they think they are being great people for trying to save our souls, but it's really the most intrusive, greedy thing they could do. The way they protested was EXTREMELY loud and disruptive. If they really want to be heroes and save souls, they can volunteer themselves to people in need, instead of forcing their beliefs down everyone's throats. Saving someone from dying in a house fire is much more productive than polluting the streets with noise, but I doubt they will ever believe that.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    The only protest I've ever seen was from a religious group trying to tell everyone that they will go to hell for their sins unless they do something about it. I know they think they are being great people for trying to save our souls, but it's really the most intrusive, greedy thing they could do. The way they protested was EXTREMELY loud and disruptive. If they really want to be heroes and save souls, they can volunteer themselves to people in need, instead of forcing their beliefs down everyone's throats. Saving someone from dying in a house fire is much more productive than polluting the streets with noise, but I doubt they will ever believe that.
    This is a good point. I do think better results come from alternate measures.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

"I can understand the frustration of people for sure, but I don't support violence."

I support violence in certain cases because sometimes it's necessary to tear down old institutions and make new ones.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I support violence in certain cases because sometimes it's necessary to tear down old institutions and make new ones.
    Yea, I do support violence when a situation is so-far-gone that there is no hope left.
    However, I don't see this situation as being there. Especially when most of the protestors have an iphone in their back pockets.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

The non-violent methods of control we have now are much more effective and totalizing than outright violence or oppression. It's hidden by design. That's why violent revolution will never seem appropriate, though objective conditions may warrant it.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What a refreshing change to read something constructive.
    Thank you for posting it, and welcome to the forum.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I think OWS is a legitimate mode of protest. People are frustrated and need to let that out, and calling it a 'temper tantrum' is condescending.
    The definition of tantrum is "An uncontrolled outburst of anger and frustration, typically in a young child." It shouldn't be condescending when your definition of what the protesters are doing is the definition of tantrum.