First 678910 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Treating her parents with respect: saying "yes sir, yes ma'am" and not stealing things she didn't work hard to pay for. At 16, she should know better.
    I guess we saw how effective her father's past discipline must have been.

A whippin' is minor compared to what one should expect to get in the real world for such offenses (as an adult). Talk back to the wrong person on the streets and get your butt kicked or killed. Steal and get thrown in jail where you also might get your butt kicked or killed. There's no friendly "time out". Weak.

I predict she'll learn all of this the hard way and regret. You watch, this won't be the last time her face makes the news.
    From what I understand, she's 23 now and doing fine. Despite living in a dangerous world where looking at someone the wrong way on the street in Podunk USA or being rude to someone at the local Wal-Mart is really putting your life on the line.

How many kids do you have, NG?

What’s rebellious girly doing now? Betraying her Dad in the worst way. That’s what I call "socially irresponsible and morally unjustifiable."
    Lessee... Daddy abuses kids and mom so long that mom eventually leaves daddy and takes the two girls with her (at least that's what I think I read) because of the abuse, but it's the 16-year-old who was whipped all the time with a belt like she was a dog who was "socially irresponsible and morally unjustifiable." Good thing she didn't do something really awful, like fool around with a boyfriend, or he might have thrown her out an upstairs window or shot her, or something truly drastic.

But hey, she would have deserved it. After all, the world's a dangerous place, and she needs to learn better.

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I notice that Nancy Grace is now jumping on the bandwagon of journalists who wish to exploit this story. This gives me pause to consider if this is really just a black and white one sided story and what the social implications of an overreaction would be.
    Nancy Grace? Now I truly feel dirty.

Anyway, the story was worth a day of discussion, but the bs of media exploitation really does get old with stuff like this.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    You might be right but in particular after the substantial passage of time and having moved on and out as an adult it seems like a pretty shitty thing for a person to do to their father.
    Agreed. I'd hate for this to be camera effects.. Situations like that make me not want to give a shit..

I dunno. I don't know where to stand with things like that. It's obvious he was angry, and punishing her was taken way out of hand--not from the spanking itself, it looked pretty standard to me.. but how outlandish he was acting during it.

But.. I don't think I would accept money or help from someone who I felt beat the shit out of me either.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    But.. I don't think I would accept money or help from someone who I felt beat the shit out of me either.
    Yeah but accepting the Mercedes would be tempting if it was this model. Shucks who am I fooling? guilt would never be enough; I would have to use some serious blackmale to ever get a Mercedes from my Dad ;-).
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Yea, you would be surprised what young, abused people do. It's not really something you can judge from the mind of someone who wasn't in those same shoes.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I guess we saw how effective her father's past discipline must have been.
    I don't deny, the nature of a few are beyond nurture.

From what I understand, she's 23 now and doing fine. Despite living in a dangerous world where looking at someone the wrong way on the street in Podunk USA or being rude to someone at the local Wal-Mart is really putting your life on the line.
    That's correct, she's 23. I saw her on the local Texas news talking about her dear Dad and she doesn't sound fine. She sounds immature, self-righteous, resentful (about current family issues), and vengeful. Under the circumstances, I think it's bad bull the way she's playin the victim card years after the fact and in the heat of a fight with her family about something non-related.

How many kids do you have, NG?
    I don't have any kids, but obviously I used to be one. I was a handful: hard-headed, and curiously all over the place. After a couple of good old fashioned whippin's with a cowboy belt, I was the poster child for good behavior. It's only because I felt the painful consequence of disobedience that I remembered the rules, for I am beyond the rules. :D

I am proud of my parents for being brave and strong and not catering to me when I didn’t deserve it. I felt loved and secure in a place like that despite my natural tendency to find a worm hole out of tight spaces. I resorted to the fact that there was no way out and the rules were going to work for me.

When I started playing within the rules, indeed they did work for me! I had a lot of freedom and reward by the time I got to high-school. And eventually, a nice car! No way was I going to risk losing my parent's trust or ruin a sweet deal like that by breaking rules. :)

I think the belt prepared me for the real world by forcing me to learn social graces that make for positive interactions and healthy relationships; despite any natural tendencies to do less. -laughs- Not only do I respect others, I respect myself, which means I don't tolerate it well when people treat me poorly.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

That's correct, she's 23. I saw her on the local Texas news talking about her dear Dad and she doesn't sound fine. She sounds immature, self-righteous, resentful (about current family issues), and vengeful. Under the circumstances, I think it's bad bull the way she's playin the victim card years after the fact and in the heat of a fight with her family about something non-related.
    I think it would be naive not to think she wouldn't be screwed up, after what I've read about her family. She has many years of pain ahead of her. i don't think she's one to grin and bear it. I like that.

Do you expect victims to act like other-than-victims? Some people get stuck in victim roles for their whole lives (look at the mother in the scenario, for instance). She is doing great. Vengefulness is sometimes the step between doormat and forgiveness. Anger is natural, and it's best to feel the anger than to bury it under another emotion, or use a defense mechanism to push it away, and pretend that it doesn't exist at all. Some people don't want to address negatives, and many times, that makes it much more difficult to get to the finishline. These types many times will stay in a bad situation forever. Reality-based people tend to have it rougher, but eventually change and adapt, simply because they can't ignore negatives. Their situations are viewed through a different set of eyes.

Everyone in the world isn't acting from playing-a-card, because they aren't like you. Some people are just being themselves when they act like victims. That's how they are.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Wait a minute ... you say he recorded that of himself??

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Do you expect victims to act like other-than-victims?
    Yes, I do. The past is the past. Focus on the horizon and trust God that ALL THINGS will work together for good.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Actually, reading @nerdvana 's post, I take everything back. Maybe some kids should get their *** taught a lesson. I just remembered what happened last week - I was on an airport shuttle, sitting at the back, and a 16-17 year old sat a few seats up, alone.

He caught me cramming a candy bar wrapper I just finished into the crevice between the seat & the wall. And kept looking at me, smirking. I checked to make sure there wasn't food on my face or anything, nope.

So I gave him the finger as I walked past him when getting off.

Kids these days have no manners.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg