Never repeatedly abuse someone with a tech knowhow =}

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Wow, this is not what I hear from parents. Some schools here must be clamping down on it, however. Parents I know are very squeamish about doing anything that would stand out to teachers or counsellors as being abusive, and some have stories of being called-in and police visits, etc. for stuff that isn't what I really consider abusive (such as taking away a cell phone).
    I think a lot of these teachers are misinformed or simply would rather err on the side of being overcautious because they have been trained that they have third party liability (via Tarasoft suit). I have a friend with a very mischievous kid who constantly telling her mother to "fuck off" whenever she tries to discipline her kid (sometimes the kid tells her to 'fuck off' and starts breaking stuff and other bad stuff when the kid is in a bad mood). The kid ran away when she took the kids phone. She called the police and the police said they couldn't do much about it. The police recommended her spanking the kids (as long as it didn't show) and taking away all of the kid clothes besides a sweat suit until the kid began to behave. He said parent only responsible to provide kid with bare necessities of food/shelter and clothing.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

The question I think we should be asking is: if the man was not a judge and the daughter was not disabled, would this have even made the local newspaper? Does that make his actions any less reprehensible? If the answers to these questions conflict, why is this and what can we do about it?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I think a lot of these teachers are misinformed or simply would rather err on the side of being overcautious because they have been trained that they have third party liability (via Tarasoft suit). I have a friend with a very mischievous kid who constantly telling her mother to "fuck off" whenever she tries to discipline her kid (sometimes the kid tells her to 'fuck off' and starts breaking stuff and other bad stuff when the kid is in a bad mood). The kid ran away when she took the kids phone. She called the police and the police said they couldn't do much about it. The police recommended her spanking the kids (as long as it didn't show) and taking away all of the kid clothes besides a sweat suit until the kid began to behave. He said parent only responsible to provide kid with bare necessities of food/shelter and clothing.
    Wow, you must be in a different area than I am...... The one particular situation I am speaking of with the kid who got sent to military school: they were coming down hard on the parents, to the point where they couldn't even punish their child at all anymore. And I hear other parents who are extremely anal about it, in fear of being prosecuted through the schools and the police, even.

Maybe it's more of a situation of community values than anything, along with what you said, a teacher/counsellor situation.

Either way, I think it's horrible lol..... A little pat on the butt is one thing (and I personally, wouldn't even do this), a belt is a different thing. I think there are non-violent ways to punish kids.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I wonder if he will suffer any consequences for his crimes.

Doubtful. I'm under the impression that sentiments similar to those of @Tiltyred are much more mainstream than many people thing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Wow, you must be in a different area than I am...... or are speaking of a different school system, or something...... The one particular situation I am speaking of with the kid who got sent to military school: they were coming down hard on the parents, to the point where they couldn't even punish their child at all anymore. And I hear other parents who are extremely anal about it, in fear of being prosecuted through the schools.
    At one time I was particularly concerned about child abuse and had some training as a guardian guardian ad litem. I have formed the opinion in some ways its good in that teachers are vigilant to report child abuse and choose to be more quick to report when in doubt. Some parents are paranoid and kids seem more open to at least threaten to call CPA. Even within the same jurisdiction the enforcment can be uneven (often varing between an overreaction and or utter lack of action)

I, however, sense that physical violence is lowering as a trend. The type of abuse seems to effect a greater mass of late is neglect and the parent absolving themselves of any discipline. This results in a generation of bunch of young adults having no discipline or manners and ending up in prison or on the streets (both places where they are ultimately more likely to receive a severe beating). The homeless used to be a bunch of old hobos are now more and more becoming young able bodied people pan handling.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Doubtful. I'm under the impression that sentiments similar to those of @Tiltyred are much more mainstream than many people thing.
    I think punishments like that do nothing but obviously generate hate on the part of the child, and make them more rebellious, violent, and abusive themselves in a lot of cases. If my parents would've done that to me at 16, I would've left immediately. I ran away from home anyways lol..... but this time, I don't think I would've returned.

At one time I was particularly concerned about child abuse and had some training as a guardian guardian ad litem. I have formed the opinion in some ways its good in that teachers are vigilant to report child abuse and choose to be more quick to report when in doubt. Some parents are paranoid and kids seem more open to at least threaten to call CPA.
    I agree. I wanted help myself to end the violence/abuse within my own household, but I was too afraid to do anything about it.

I, however, sense that physical violence is lowering as a trend. The type of abuse seems to effect a greater mass of late is neglect and the parent absolving themselves of any discipline. This results in a generation of bunch of young adults having no discipline or manners and ending up in prison or on the streets. The homeless used to be a bunch of old hobos are now more and more becoming young able bodied people pan handling.
    Very interesting, because I was one of those kids who was rarely punished, and only spanked twice in my life. That's possibly why I find it horrible. I think I was neglected as well, and abused verbally, and subjected to watching a lot of verbal abuse and some violence, as I had an alcoholic home. I had very little discipline or manners, especially when I was in my 20's lol...... but I managed to make it through college, so I didn't do too bad. I still have issues here and there with manners and discipline. I've had to make a lot of changes since. I could see pan-handling, with no parenting resulting in a lack of values, motivations, or drives. Certainly how I ended up in a lot of ways. I've had to work harder as a result, to change it.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I wouldn't have left, I'd have done things that would scarred them worse. I'd go for more mental retaliation though- it's much harder to top, especially when you're a guardian legally responsible. And mental scars tend to stick around longer.

I'm very protective of my personal space. Anyone who messes with my sense of personal space in such a severe manner is going down, period.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I'm of the attitude that if you can't do it to adults, it's even worse to do it to defenseless kids.

Would I like to smack a rude waitress in the face? Yes, but that's a violation of her basic right to not be harmed. So too with little snots.

My birth parents spoiled me, but I was adopted later on. From then, I had a harsh upbringing - being dragged out of bed at 5am and shoved into an ice cold shower, being pinned down and tickled to tears, a few occasions getting slapped, etc. He liked to pull my ears a lot...lol.

But no brutal beatings like that. And for things worse than that girl did, like refusing to study when I was told to, or sneaking out, or getting a call from school for my skipping school.

And even just that made me flee right on my 18th birthday and disown my adoptive father for some time. If he had come at me with a belt, I guarantee I'd not only fight back, and try to fuck him up badly, I'd never speak to him again.

Slapping here and there isn't actually such a big deal - sometimes I do lose my temper when watching my niece for long periods of time. But what that "judge" did was just obscene. I guarantee you, that girl is scarred for life.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I got news for you. That's not what I'd call a beating. That was really mild. I don't approve of it in the slightest, but that was seriously not much as far as getting a whipping goes.
    I think what bothers about me most about it is the tone/words of the father, and his general attitude toward it. It just seemed rather malicious and sadistic. He admits he is hitting her not as a correction or discipline but as a means of relieving his frustration and irritation. He tells her he is so angry he should repeatedly beat her. He then beats her further. He uses the word "beat." This was NOT about discipline, it was about anger. As one point he says that if she doesn't bend over, he's going to hit her across the FACE with the belt. It's the man's dialog more than anything that bothers me.

I've been spanked with a belt before when I was a child. The attitude from my parents about it was NEVER one of malice/sadism like this man portrayed. They were never ANGRY.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~