User Tag List

Identity on the Net

I have noticed many respected media comentators have been drawing attention to the epidemic of personal attacks and group bullying on the internet.

But why is this?

The internet brings together disparate peoples from all over the world. And this beings about a crisis of identity.

And one way to establish our identity and our group identity is through personal attacks and group bullying.

So personal attacks and group bullying are an inherent part of the net.

Moralising about this will do no good whatsoever. What we need to do is to find non destructive ways of establishing personal and group identity.

I have no idea how to do this.

How do you think we might find constructive ways of establising our identity on the net?

MBTI
    INTP

Transparency.

I participate on a very large forum where not everyone knows everyone else personally, but you're never more than a couple posters removed. It tends to keep things in check. Obviously this isn't a solution to the larger issue, but it really helps. Sometimes you end up with friends of cockbag x defending cockbag x by saying "oh he's not so bad in real life" but generally people behave.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I have noticed many respected media comentators have been drawing attention to the epidemic of personal attacks and group bullying on the internet.

But why is this?

The internet brings together disparate peoples from all over the world. And this beings about a crisis of identity.

And one way to establish our identity and our group identity is through personal attacks and group bullying.

So personal attacks and group bullying are an inherent part of the net.

Moralising about this will do no good whatsoever. What we need to do is to find non destructive ways of establishing personal and group identity.

I have no idea how to do this.

How do you think we might find constructive ways of establising our identity on the net?
    Identity is a measure of the other.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

@Victor

I've noticed this everywhere. To really find a cohesive group you have to be against what they are against. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. This is not just on the internet and it is not new. Group identification tends to be like tribalism. You develop a cultural identity which is different. Then you demonize the others. You can't root for two opposing sporting teams. To really get in the group you must cheer for the one and hate the other.

I'm basically alone. I'm trying to find a group that accepts me for not wanting to hate "the other."