User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    So, customers want coffee that is hotter than they will ever drink it? Customers want coffee that is 190 degrees as opposed to say, 120 degrees? This is a selling point?
    McDonald's claimed that their customers tend to be commuters who want it hot so that it will be at the right temperature once they reached their destination.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    McDonald's claimed that their customers tend to be commuters who want it hot so that it will be at the right temperature once they reached their destination.
    That rationale is just BS thought up by McDs attorneys. The reason it was so hot was to mask its shitty taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    But is that a good thing? The fear of litigation has caused them to stop offering something that many customers want.
    Now, they just serve better tasting coffee served at a reasonable temperature.

Litigation which has affected the market where the general population has acquired beneficial results.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

While the burns were tragic, I still think that MacDonald's wasn't negligent. How can people be held liable for another adult's incorrect usage of their product? IF coffee is hot enough to cause burns of that nature with fairly quick contact, you can feel it through the cup. She was also an elderly lady so why was she the one tending the cup without a stable surface? I'm also wondering how long these burns were left untended to get to this severity level. Did they drive right to the hospital or were these burns left to fester?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Now, they just serve better tasting coffee served at a reasonable temperature.
    All that caffeine can't be healthy. They should be sued for making it more addicting.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    While the burns were tragic, I still think that MacDonald's wasn't negligent. How can people be held liable for another adult's incorrect usage of their product? IF coffee is hot enough to cause burns of that nature with fairly quick contact, you can feel it through the cup. She was also an elderly lady so why was she the one tending the cup without a stable surface? I'm also wondering how long these burns were left untended to get to this severity level. Did they drive right to the hospital or were these burns left to fester?
    Agreed. Basically exclusive fault of the victim, for the burn and possibly for the aggravation.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Agreed. Basically exclusive fault of the victim, for the burn and possibly for the aggravation.
    IMO, this is no different than suing a needle company for poking out an eye. Where was the warning label for the sharpness of the needle and why are needles made so sharp? They should be blunted so people can't poke their eyes out. :facepalm:

MBTI
    INTP

They should pay for her med bills. Those burns were horrific. It is sad that we've been making fun of her all these years for "not knowing coffee was hot," when clearly coffee THAT hot has no business being in someone's moving vehicle.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    IMO, this is no different than suing a needle company for poking out an eye. Where was the warning label for the sharpness of the needle and why are needles made so sharp? They should be blunted so people can't poke their eyes out. :facepalm:
    Heh. There are implicit and socially acceptable risks for basically everything. If I sell closets there will be someone that will mess up and let it fall over. If I sell fishs there could be someone incautious dying from fishbones. And those are risks we don't stop to think but they are pretty obvious. I can't demand McDonalds to offer a cup designed by NASA.
    Also I can't demand them to give obvious warning. Even though some people don't mind:
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

I've seen the whole documentary. The film takes the view that the notion of "jackpot justice" has been created and spread by corporations that do not want to be held liable in legitimate tort cases. I understand its intent and found it compelling. The scariest part was the last segment on Jamie Leigh Jones's fight to get her day in court,which did eventually happen this summer.

the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

@Vasilisa, you might want to read this version of Jones's trial and evidence. It's not always the big bad corporation that's at fault, regardless of deep pockets:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011...e-trial?page=1