User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    They did an analysis and found it would be more profitable to keep the coffee hot and pay off any claims. They had had upwards of 700 burn/injury cases to do with the coffee before this ever happened.
    Can't the same be said of many things? Booze, fast cars, used cars, guns, knives, etc. Do we stop selling things that people want, simply because they are known to cause injuries?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Is handing someone boiling water through a drive-through window negligent?

That question has already been answered. I know the answer. Do you?
    According to Wikipedia, the case was appealed and eventually settled for an undisclosed amount less than $600K. The question remains.

Shouldn't it be obvious to customers that hot coffee can be dangerous?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the case was appealed and eventually settled for an undisclosed amount less than $600K. The question remains.

Yeah, but you still can't prevent accidents from happening- and coffee spills are a frequent human error that you practically can't avoid. Did you see those wounds? As a nurse who has dealt with a lot of wounds I have to say that they could have killed her in the end. I don't know if you've ever spilled a reasonably hot drink in your lap, (or anywhere on your skin), but I do it all the time, stuff just heated (and I'm an idiot, but that's beside the point) and the worst that should happen is you have these hot and painful reddened second degree burns, not deadly wounds down to your tendons. In any business there are water temperature regulations for different things. (Showers in apartment buildings, etc.) I'm not saying that McDonald's is an evil corporation for having very hot coffee/ not having thought of that, I'm saying that incidents like these should warrant a change and payment to the victim and reasonable unbiased media coverage. You can't drink it at that level of hot anyway. What is the point? Make it really hot without causing deadly burns- just take it down a few degrees, man.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP

Today, does McDonald's serve coffee at 190 degrees Fahrenheit through the drive through, or does it not?

Can't the same be said of many things? Booze, fast cars, used cars, guns, knives, etc. Do we stop selling things that people want, simply because they are known to cause injuries?
    The difference is that booze, cars, guns and knives are presumed to be dangerous if used by those who are negligent or untrained in their use. A cup of coffee is not presumed to be a potential danger that requires extraordinary care or training to safely use. Anyone can drop it.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    but I do it all the time, stuff just heated (and I'm an idiot, but that's beside the point) and the worst that should happen is you have these hot and painful reddened second degree burns, not deadly wounds down to your tendons.
    Exactly. Severe injuries are very rare. That's why it's not clear that they were evil.

I'm saying that incidents like these should warrant a change and payment to the victim and reasonable unbiased media coverage.
    It would have been nice if they gave her money, but are they ethically or legally obligated to do so if they were not at fault?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Today, does McDonald's serve coffee at 190 degrees Fahrenheit through the drive through, or does it not?
    But is that a good thing? The fear of litigation has caused them to stop offering something that many customers want.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Exactly. Severe injuries are very rare. That's why it's not clear that they were evil.

It would have been nice if they gave her money, but are they ethically or legally obligated to do so if they were not at fault?
    Yes, ethically at least. Perhaps accidentally at fault, but still at fault- the lady should not have to pay tens of thousands of dollars over a coffee spill.

Severe injuries are rare because coffee is usually just not hot enough to cause severe injuries.

(well, not even accidentally according to what @Patchesis saying.)

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

But is that a good thing? The fear of litigation has caused them to stop offering something that many customers want.
    So, customers want coffee that is hotter than they will ever drink it? Customers want coffee that is 190 degrees as opposed to say, 120 degrees? This is a selling point?

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    The difference is that booze, cars, guns and knives are presumed to be dangerous if used by those who are negligent or untrained in their use. A cup of coffee is not presumed to be a potential danger that requires extraordinary care or training to safely use. Anyone can drop it.
    Yes, but anyone can accidentally crash a car, cut themselves with a knife or shoot someone with a gun.