User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Reading the comments.... okay now I see the problem: virtually ALL the comments are like the ones listed in the OP, mostly treating it like this is some sort of discipline issue. (Just say "no" just because with no real reason for denying the child of something? That's the real issue here? And like that's what parents are totally supposed to do, right?? )

Looks like actually treating children with some bit of decency has taken a long vacation from yahoo comments at the least.

Sniffles

First it was about youtube comments, now it's Yahoo comments. Gotta love the internet.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Let's hope that Girl Scout troop doesn't have any reason to bathe together on a camping trip. One girl, in particular, might have a bit of a problem explaining her teenie peenie to the others.
    That's an isolated issue to work, and the adults should be in a position to avoid situations like that. Plus the culture has been changing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I wouldn't blame ignorance on conservative people. Plenty of liberals are ignorant too. The comments just sound like older people or dumb people, or uneducated people.
    Anytime I read "Yahoo comments", I am astounded.
    Just to be clear you're associating age with being dumb and uneducated?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

See to be honest, this world, this alternative to life as it is that is the alternative implicit in some of the "right on" posting here does not sound like it would be desirable at all or capable of functioning for very long.

A world in which everything goes, everything is permitted and/or permissable, everything is integrated no matter how alien or alienating it is and no one can manage their own personal difference or process frustrations personally without another as a point of reference, whether thats individuals or authorities.

That just sounds like holy hell and to be honest I'd challenge anyone to provide examples even a single household which successfully survives, thrives and prospers on this basis. No one could successfully parent on that basis let alone the suggestion that a community or society should conform to or be restructured on that basis.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Just to be clear you're associating age with being dumb and uneducated?
    No, that's why the "or" is there, but it could be both. I don't think older people are necessarily dumb or uneducated, but it seems that way sometimes. Some of them refuse to learn anything new, and they hang on to old beliefs. When most of your beliefs seem to stem from the 50's, it can seem as if you are dumb or uneducated.

I'm sure there are some hip grandmas out there, but I'm not coming in contact with many. My mother, for instance, is still having issues with sex before marriage. She doesn't want to believe I did it. Same situation with my liberal mil. She's just as backward as my conservative mother.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    No, that's why the "or" is there, but it could be both. I don't think older people are necessarily dumb or uneducated, but it seems that way sometimes. Some of them refuse to learn anything new, and they hang on to old beliefs. When most of your beliefs seem to stem from the 50's, it can seem as if you are dumb or uneducated.

I'm sure there are some hip grandmas out there, but I'm not coming in contact with many. My mother, for instance, is still having issues with sex before marriage. She doesn't want to believe I did it. Same situation with my liberal mil. She's just as backward as my conservative mother.
    There's obviously a big gulf here and it could be the sort of typical thing which makes for communication difficulties, describing the thinking of older people as "backward" is a value judgement, a disdainful one, assuming that tenacity in holding to beliefs is a flaw would seem strange to you I'm sure if the beliefs were different from those you are considering disdainfully.

There's almost a cyclical pattern of degeneration and regeneration when it comes to culture, its not a good cycle, it can be destructive and personally I think a great deal of time is wasted swinging from one extreme to another without any balance between tradition and innovation being achieved. However, there is a cycle. So what todays hip and trendy everything goes liberals believe could be considered totally and utterly backward by a future generation which that generation of "old liberals" could consider conservative but who they themselves might consider pretty moderate and reasonable.

The thing about the "new" or "novelty" to most older people is that they have probably experienced more than one "shock of the new" in their own lives and its not unreasonable to therefore suspect that they are less impressed with it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Comments sections on Yahoo, Youtube, and the like, are pretty much the sewer of the internet. That being said, sometimes I worry that it's not very far from being reflective of the general public.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

There's obviously a big gulf here and it could be the sort of typical thing which makes for communication difficulties, describing the thinking of older people as "backward" is a value judgement, a disdainful one, assuming that tenacity in holding to beliefs is a flaw would seem strange to you I'm sure if the beliefs were different from those you are considering disdainfully.

There's almost a cyclical pattern of degeneration and regeneration when it comes to culture, its not a good cycle, it can be destructive and personally I think a great deal of time is wasted swinging from one extreme to another without any balance between tradition and innovation being achieved. However, there is a cycle. So what todays hip and trendy everything goes liberals believe could be considered totally and utterly backward by a future generation which that generation of "old liberals" could consider conservative but who they themselves might consider pretty moderate and reasonable.

The thing about the "new" or "novelty" to most older people is that they have probably experienced more than one "shock of the new" in their own lives and its not unreasonable to therefore suspect that they are less impressed with it.
    Yes, I understand this. I try to keep up with what is going on in terms of education. I am not always successful, but I try. I think many of them do not, and that's what causes the divide. In their time, transsexual meant freak-of-nature. Today, we know alot more about it, yet they still tend to hold on to old beliefs. In other words, I seem to accept and integrate new information and try to change my world view, while they, do not. I think it could be that particular generation.... This doesn't mean I agree with new world views in-terms-of what is cool or popular, but I do try to integrate new knowledge. This is where they seem to fail.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

See to be honest, this world, this alternative to life as it is that is the alternative implicit in some of the "right on" posting here does not sound like it would be desirable at all or capable of functioning for very long.

A world in which everything goes, everything is permitted and/or permissable, everything is integrated no matter how alien or alienating it is and no one can manage their own personal difference or process frustrations personally without another as a point of reference, whether thats individuals or authorities.

That just sounds like holy hell and to be honest I'd challenge anyone to provide examples even a single household which successfully survives, thrives and prospers on this basis. No one could successfully parent on that basis let alone the suggestion that a community or society should conform to or be restructured on that basis.
    I think there are more options than "nothing goes" or "everything goes."

Discussions like this are about deciphering what changes make sense and are necessary. I don't see the point in consistently obsessing about the bottom end of the slippery slope, it avoids responsibility for using discernment to come to a best course of action in a sometimes ambiguous world.

Yes, entropy is a fundamental aspect of the universe. It's rather beside the point.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft