User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Could someone be hypnotised to kill?

I've always believed or been told that under hypnosis people wont do something which is against their conscience or nature, however recently Derren Brown hypnotised someone to do exactly that, they staged an assasination with blanks, a firearm, a celebrity victim and a shooter who couldnt recall the event.

http://www.theyorker.co.uk/news/tv/7663

Now the story that they use in the TV show is the shooter of Robert Kennedy who alledges he has no recollection of the shooting and conspiracy theorists suggest was programmed by the CIA. However, I thought about the shooting of John Lennon and also the shooting of UK news broadcaster Jill Dando.

Thats before you consider 9/11, The Oklahoma City Bombing, other incidents like that.

It also made me wonder, was there a time when people were less suggestible or had a stronger character and therefore would have proven much more resistant to this kind of thing?

Derren Brown is fascinating.

I watched a program about past attempts to create a Manchurian candidate type of assassin, the truth behind the Bourne series, that kind of thing. (no, not naked gun, lol) I try to beware conspiratorial thinking, but (and) stay open minded. The prospect has a rather amazing history, more interesting to me than fiction.

April 13, 1953: CIA OKs MK-ULTRA Mind-Control Tests
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 10-25-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Enrico Pallazzo!
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

It's reality TV, therefore, fake.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

It would be a way to create the ultimate sleeper agent, like the "Moon man" in Stephen King's The Stand when a highly suggestible learning disabled individual who has a moon fixation and thinks everything is spelt "m-o-o-n" is sent to act as a spy in territory were someone can read minds.

What I found remarkable in Derren's show was he programmed the guy with marksmanship and when this was triggered with a ring tone he was a total dead shot and could hit targets like a pro. If skills like that could be instilled as easily it would be simultaneously awesome but scary, if it were abused it would be horrifying but if it were appropriately used bad habits could be unlearned and good ones learned so easily.

MBTI
    ISTx

Shit, if I was a murderer, I sure as hell "wouldn't be able to recall doing it". Nice alibi.

Hypnotism in a controlled setting may be plausible but even if you could get someone to a state where they can kill without consciously being aware of it, I doubt it could be "programmed" into the person to where they will go out into the world, scheme, plot and kill all while under a state of hypnosis.

But what do I really know about all that? Not much.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I think with drugs, threats, and mind-control, over an extended period of time, you can make anyone do anything. I think not doing it would be a rarity.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I think with drugs, threats, and mind-control, over an extended period of time, you can make anyone do anything. I think not doing it would be a rarity.
    Is that hypnotism or someone just losing their shit?

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Could someone be hypnotized to kill? Possibly. But everything I've read on hypnosis indicates that the person being hypnotized still has control of themselves. They are just highly suggestible. They have done some fascinating fmri work on what is happening in the mind that reveals hypnosis is not just a bunch of voodoo, and also found that dom right brainers are much better at it than left brains. Imo, it all leads back to the same thing: consciousness can exist independently from the brain.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neur...wmcdonald.html
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Is that hypnotism or someone just losing their shit?
    Some of both.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Some of both.