User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENTP

Gah, why is the KJV the best selling version of the Bible? Do people think that it's better because it sounds fancy?

MBTI
    INTj

I wonder if La Bron could pull royalties from that while he's waiting for the season to start?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

This is the most accurate list I have ever seen. It ranks above all other lists in its splendid accuracy and sublime impeccability. Even Schindler's most famous list pales in comparison.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    Gah, why is the KJV the best selling version of the Bible? Do people think that it's better because it sounds fancy?
    Because several branches of Christianity think that the KJV is the only right version and that God himself dictated it, even the spelling errors and the typos. They think that the KJV trumps the original Greek and Hebrew.
    +10% Crit Chance

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    Because several branches of Christianity think that the KJV is the only right version and that God himself dictated it, even the spelling errors and the typos. They think that the KJV trumps the original Greek and Hebrew.
    Which is curious because the bible probably existed in Latin before its translation to olde english and German. I'm not sure that Christians believe in the bible being dictated by God, although I'm not from a literalist tradition and cant speak for them I did know a literalist once who suggested that the bible was important as it was what was "left" by Jesus, now they where a protestant evangelist which perhaps explained that too because I've always thought it more logical that the tradition preceeded the bible and not the bible preceeded the tradition of Christendom.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Which is curious because the bible probably existed in Latin before its translation to olde english and German. I'm not sure that Christians believe in the bible being dictated by God, although I'm not from a literalist tradition and cant speak for them I did know a literalist once who suggested that the bible was important as it was what was "left" by Jesus, now they where a protestant evangelist which perhaps explained that too because I've always thought it more logical that the tradition preceeded the bible and not the bible preceeded the tradition of Christendom.
    There are lots of denominations that interpret the Bible as CONTAINING the word of God but still being written by men. But the large majority of denominations maintain that the Bible IS the word of God, that he was guiding the hands of the men who wrote it every step of the way. Within that camp there is a subset that believe that the KJV was the super bestest version ever and that God guided the translators much like he guided the authors.
    +10% Crit Chance

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    That just sounds like snobbery. Sometimes international bestsellers are bestsellers because they *are* good. I'm not saying that every international bestseller is good literature but some are.
    Perhaps it is snobbery but I certainly don't dislike popular fiction simply because it is popular (nor the reverse).

Of course some bestsellers are good but it's rare. It's the same with films. Look at the top 10 highest grosses for any one year; few of those will match the top 10 most critically acclaimed or awarded films of the year. I will own that with books the problem is exaggerated - a mediocre film isn't half as painful to watch as a mediocre book is to read.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte