User Tag List

123 Last

Default China Soul-Searches Over Hit-And-Run Toddler

Did anyone of you read about the toddler being run over by two vans in China and being left bleeding for 10 minutes before anyone helped her?

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16091304 (I didn't watch the video they posted because it would be too upsetting.)

Are there any Chinese people on this forum, because I am wondering what in Chinese mentality might have contributed to people not helping the toddler. And yes, I am aware that there are good and bad people in every culture, I am just genuinely interested what might have prevented people from helping her. I remember when travelling to Japan being warned that when someone gets mugged in the street or something similar people are more likely to mind their own business and walk past them then to help them. I am just wondering why.

I'll be honest, its maybe not got to that point yet in the west or even in all of China I'd hope, but I think that sort of indifference is on the march everywhere.

I don't know, I live in London which can be a pretty tough city where people are distrustful of strangers but I am pretty certain that in bright daylight on a busy street that wouldn't have happened in London. If there is a genuine, urgent need (and people can see that you are not just out to get their money) Londoners will very likely help you. I remember fainting on a crowded train once and I was immediately offered a seat and some random lady actually offered me some Tic Tacs because she didn't know how else to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I don't know, I live in London which can be a pretty tough city where people are distrustful of strangers but I am pretty certain that in bright daylight on a busy street that wouldn't have happened in London. If there is a genuine, urgent need (and people can see that you are not just out to get their money) Londoners will very likely help you. I remember fainting on a crowded train once and I was immediately offered a seat and some random lady actually offered me some Tic Tacs because she didn't know how else to help me.
    That is good and I take heart in hearing it, on the other hand was there not some serious rioting in England lately?

I'm very humanistic in nature and conviction, my heart goes out to people, even when my mind tells me to be cautious and I dont like what I see as the general hardening of the heart that is going on. There are populations of people, and its no longer small pockets or isolated families, which well boast about making other peoples lives miserable and pass their time that way if they can.

Frequently, because that can be difficult keeping that sort of behaviour up, using online forums or facebook as a sort of "support group", where everyone can laugh about what someone is being made to endure, often the sort of abuse which the same individuals themselves couldnt endure. Its part of the online-offline transference of "trolling" which interests me. Perhaps low or intensive level anti-social behaviour is different from complete indifference but I see them all as being part of the same broad spectrum breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That is good and I take heart in hearing it, on the other hand was there not some serious rioting in England lately?
    Yes, but there was a strong crackdown on the rioters and a public outcry over all the people who had lost their businesses because of the riots, people donated a lot of money to help them get back on their feet. As I said, there is good and evil in each society and one should never underestimate what bad things people are capable of but I still don't think that in London people would let a 2-year old almost bleed to death in bright daylight.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I agree with @Lightyear, London can be tough and cold but I find it unlikely that such a thing would happen. (I think the rioting was quite a different scenario, though with many disturbing implications.) Even if two people walked past, the third would help. I helped a woman with her baby's stroller in the Underground today. Sometimes I do things like that, sometimes I don't do it and later regret it. Sometimes someone else gets there first. London is actually a lot better than people give it credit for being, I think.

I'm not so sure about Japan. People are incredibly community-spirited there, so I'm not sure I could see something like that happening. I think they are quite different from the Chinese. I don't honestly know much about the Chinese mindset. But apparently in the situation with the toddler in China, some people said they didn't help or wouldn't have helped because of legal implications - they didn't want to be involved and somehow made liable or made to blame. I think that's an attitude which could be quite reflective of many countries and parts of society today, and this was just an extreme and shocking example.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Yes, but there was a strong crackdown on the rioters and a public outcry over all the people who had lost their businesses because of the riots, people donated a lot of money to help them get back on their feet. As I said, there is good and evil in each society and one should never underestimate what bad things people are capable of but I still don't think that in London people would let a 2-year old almost bleed to death in bright daylight.
    That is true, the evil is difference when its indifference, its still evil.

The moral problem I have with some outrage at things like this is they can be used as "we're better than them", especially when they take place across geo-political or cultural divides.

There's some terrible child sacrificing and trafficking going on in Uganda, people are starving for want of some kind of order and government with a food security policy like the EU has out in Somalia, those involve children too, China's single child policy and regulations have given rise to some pretty terrible deaths and deprivations, particularly of baby girls, although there will eventually be a natural consequence when the demographic shift means that they cant reproduce themselves.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

It appears this mindset is normal in China, at least from the many videos I have seen and even the comments from Neitzens who have also noted the lack of compassion for thine fellow man. Aside from plain 'ole indifference, this seems to be because of the possibility of being sued or imprisoned if the victim decides to point their fingers at them.

Source
    2006 November 20, also Nanjing, a young person named Peng Yu [picture above] kindly helped up an old woman who had fallen down, and at the request of the old woman took her to the hospital. The result was that this old woman then maintained that it was Peng Yu who the person who had knocked her down. Peng Yu strongly denied that he knocked over the old woman. Both sides eventually went to court and Peng Yu was fined in the first instance to bear a portion of the old woman’s medical expensies, totally over 40,000 yuan, on the basis “common sense” that: “According to society’s logic/reason, if Peng Yu was doing a good deed, Peng Yu could have let the old woman’s family send her to the hospital after they arrived, and then leave on his own. However Peng Yu did not make such a choice, and his actions contract what is reasonable”; “Peng Yu, on the day of the incident, paid the old woman over 200 yuan and even did not request that the old woman pay him back”; etc. What is worth raising is that the Peng Yu Incident triggered discussions on various major websites. One website’s blog homepage headline impressively was: Survey: 80% of bloggers choose not to be good people anymore.
    Which has led to hurt people having to proclaim that no one is at fault for their injury or whatever the case may be, like in the case of a 75-year old man who fell off a bus. After he stated he fell on his own, people immediately rushed over to help. Which can explain why people world-wide are hesitant to get involved, as there are also many U.S. cases involving people who were sued by the very people they attempted to help.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Maybe they should do a police search instead.

The bystander effect is present in any culture. I remember reading in Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion the best response in an emergency situation is to call someone out of the crowd to specifically to help you.