User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I agree with @Lightyear, London can be tough and cold but I find it unlikely that such a thing would happen. (I think the rioting was quite a different scenario, though with many disturbing implications.) Even if two people walked past, the third would help. I helped a woman with her baby's stroller in the Underground today. Sometimes I do things like that, sometimes I don't do it and later regret it. Sometimes someone else gets there first. London is actually a lot better than people give it credit for being, I think.

I'm not so sure about Japan. People are incredibly community-spirited there, so I'm not sure I could see something like that happening. I think they are quite different from the Chinese. I don't honestly know much about the Chinese mindset. But apparently in the situation with the toddler in China, some people said they didn't help or wouldn't have helped because of legal implications - they didn't want to be involved and somehow made liable or made to blame. I think that's an attitude which could be quite reflective of many countries and parts of society today, and this was just an extreme and shocking example.
    That's something too, the socially conscientious are generally respectors of rulse and fearful of breeching them too, there's been some interesting studies about the willingness of people to stop children running into traffic in the UK and there was a novelisation of an incident called The Smack about someone who physically reprimanded a child who was misbehaving at a barbeque who was not his own child.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That's something too, the socially conscientious are generally respectors of rulse and fearful of breeching them too, there's been some interesting studies about the willingness of people to stop children running into traffic in the UK and there was a novelisation of an incident called The Smack about someone who physically reprimanded a child who was misbehaving at a barbeque who was not his own child.
    I do find it pretty shocking how people's number one concern seems to have become their liability. In some cases it's not that surprising because the way society is constructed has almost forced them to it. It's really messed up though.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I do find it pretty shocking how people's number one concern seems to have become their liability. In some cases it's not that surprising because the way society is constructed has almost forced them to it. It's really messed up though.
    What's worrying is the division between lawful and chaotic people which is emerging, the only people willing to risk falling foul of the rules are those who do good anyway.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Are they still stabbing children to death in schools in China, or has that meme run its course?

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Are they still stabbing children to death in schools in China, or has that meme run its course?
    I don't think it was in a school but if I'm not mistaken something similar happened again on the street in China recently.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ISFP

"The Oriental doesn't put the same high price on life as does a Westerner...We value life and human dignity. They don't care about life and human dignity." - General Westmoreland

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    The bystander effect is present in any culture. I remember reading in Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion the best response in an emergency situation is to call someone out of the crowd to specifically to help you.
    Yes, this is what they train you to do in FA training here in the states. If you just shout out "somebody do this..." then nobody will act. You have to point at someone and say "you, go do this..." they will do it.

Around here I am 99.9% sure that that sort of thing wouldn't happen. The first person that came along would stop and help the kid.

When I was living in China, I saw a man being struck by a car while riding his bicycle. He wasn't badly injured (but was bleeding), and my first reaction was to run over and help him up, call an ambulance, etc. I expressed this to the girl I was walking with, in hopes that she'd help out by calling the ambulance (since I obviously couldn't manage it in Chinese myself).

She just looked uncomfortable and said, "I think we'd better not. He'll be ok. We might be at fault if we go help him."

And that was that. We walked on. I have to say, I was actually pretty stunned by this cultural nugget of information. And I'm pretty sure that's what was happening in that video. China is very different than the West. And it's true, there is a much lesser emphasis placed on the individual life over there.

It seems hard to fathom, as a Westerner, but there you go.

I think about it and maybe it had something to do with China's whole cultural emphasis on "saving face." You aren't supposed to do anything that will alter the harmony of the group, or it will cause you to lose face.

Perhaps when there is an accident like that, people think that whoever is drawing a lot of attention to it is playing up that fact that it happened. And they don't want the fact that it happened to be played up, because it would insinuate that there is a problem - a breach in harmony. I know that the government and the media seriously downplays tragic events (while I'd say the opposite is true in the West).

Perhaps it's for the same reason. It's just more natural to their culture to sweep bad events under the carpet by ignoring them. "It's not a big deal if you don't make it a big deal", etc.

I don't know. I was only there a year. Maybe someone with more experience can provide better insight?

Sniffles

The Chinese writer Lu Xun once remarked about how stunned he was when viewing pictures of Japanese soldiers beheading people in front of a Chinese mob, he noticed the facial expressions of his fellow countrymen was one of indifference.