User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default If money doesn't make you happy then you probably aren't spending it right

"If money doesn't make you happy then you probably aren't spending it right"

(Journal of Consumer Psychology)

The relationship between money and happiness is surprisingly weak, which may stem in part from the way people spend it. Drawing on empirical research, we propose eight principles designed to help consumers get more happiness for their money. Specifically, we suggest that consumers should (1) buy more experiences and fewer material goods; (2) use their money to benefit others rather than themselves; (3) buy many small pleasures rather than fewer large ones; (4) eschew extended warranties and other forms of overpriced insurance; (5) delay consumption; (6) consider how peripheral features of their purchases may affect their day-to-day lives; (7) beware of comparison shopping; and (8) pay close attention to the happiness of others.
    When asked to take stock of their lives, people with more money report being a good deal more satisfied. But when asked how happy they are at the moment, people with more money are barely different than those with less (Diener, Ng, Harter, & Arora, 2010). This suggests that our money provides us with satisfaction when we think about it, but not when we use it. That shouldn't happen. Money can buy many, if not most, if not all of the things that make people happy, and if it doesn't, then the fault is ours. We believe that psychologists can teach people to spend their money in ways that will indeed increase their happiness, and we hope we've done a bit of that here.
    Your thoughts?

Weren't people happy before money? ;_;
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yes, yes, yes. I've been thinking about it rather often (I'm an E-7, and obviously we're very concerned about extracting maximum happiness from our monetary availabilities), and I had independently reached a set of rules which is similar to those listed by the article.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I just received my third installment from helping my dad in his business; and hm, I really don't know what to spend the lot on. It's just *there* in my bank account. It's a good thing I have it; better to have things than not; but still, what to do with it? I believe I have everything a man could want. There's hardly anything more in life I've seen that would interest me; except offspring and maybe immortality (if that was realistic). I have, how ever, an insatiable appetite for real good food (i.e. cheeseburgers, wraps, coca cola, pizzas, fries), so perhaps I should conveniently spend the money on things like that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    real good food (i.e. cheeseburgers, wraps, coca cola, pizzas, fries), so perhaps I should conveniently spend the money on things like that.
    OMG, that is not real good food :,,,,,,,(
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonentity View Post
    Before money, we still had trade. Before trade, we still had to make decisions on how to use our labour effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. I've been thinking about it rather often (I'm an E-7, and obviously we're very concerned about extracting maximum happiness from our monetary availabilities), and I had independently reached a set of rules which is similar to those listed by the article.
    I'd still be interested in hearing about your set of rules and your reasoning.

I just received my third installment from helping my dad in his business; and hm, I really don't know what to spend the lot on.
    Just let me know your internet banking details and I'll help you out.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have, how ever, an insatiable appetite for real good food (i.e. cheeseburgers, wraps, coca cola, pizzas, fries), so perhaps I should conveniently spend the money on things like that.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think its entirely the individual's fault when money doesnt bring happiness although I would say that since the individual themselves is experiencing that, in the short term at least, individual solutions are useful.

Of that list I think 1) and 6) interested me the most, I dont really understand what 6) means and 1) is curious because I dont know what experiences you can buy and I'm not sure of the experiences which I know which can be bought arent cheaped in the process somehow.

Happiness is a difficult thing to commodify, I think that money and happiness is associated in most peoples minds because it is associated with other things like security and independence, not having to put up with other peoples bull shit, improved quality in others attentiveness to your needs, things like that.

Those are hopes which pale in comparison with the reality. Until people are encouraged to think about it and are happy because their circumstances, while not that happy, are better relative to those of others. Its the idea of people prefering their own problems to other peoples or strangers problems.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonentity View Post
    Food is money

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My ENTJ mother used to tell me, "Don't marry for love, because love can't keep a relationship together. Marry for money." Though I wouldn't consider myself nearly as jaded and cynical as her... I do think that lack of money/money problems causes stress, unhappiness, fighting, etc. So I can see the merit in the reverse being true.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~