First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

(1) buy more experiences and fewer material goods

Theoretically I would agree, but what exactly are those great experiences that you can "buy"? I think this question is more difficult than it looks on the first sight. You don't always need big money to have great experiences, and money alone doesn't always ensure great experiences.

(2) use their money to benefit others rather than themselves

I think most people will agree on that, besides people which lack any perspective for other people.

(3) buy many small pleasures rather than fewer large ones

Sure some truth in it, but I think a reasonable mix is more the aim. Few bigger ones which give long-term pleasure alongside with small pleasures here and then.

(4) eschew extended warranties and other forms of overpriced insurance

Well, it is news to me that this is the common mistake people make, but yeah, makes sense.

(5) delay consumption

Not entirely sure what is the message of this.

(6) consider how peripheral features of their purchases may affect their day-to-day lives

Well, of course it makes sense when you also know what you buy before you buy it...

(7) beware of comparison shopping

Too much comparison is negative, too few comparison also, as usual.

(8) pay close attention to the happiness of others.

Don't know... context.

Am I the only one that thinks this article does nothing more than tell us common sense notions of what humans need to feel happy (choosing to help others, engaging in enjoyable activities, being challenged and experiencing new things, being free to do things you enjoy) and propose some half-cocked methods on how better to buy these things with your money, since that's the only way we can get them?
    I agree to some degree. The problem is many people in this world seem to have lost / numbed common sense, or they don't base (many of) their actions on it anymore.

This thread makes me think of the first world problems thread.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks this article does nothing more than tell us common sense notions of what humans need to feel happy (choosing to help others, engaging in enjoyable activities, being challenged and experiencing new things, being free to do things you enjoy) and propose some half-cocked methods on how better to buy these things with your money, since that's the only way we can get them?
    If it was common sense, why aren't more people aware of these ideas?

PS, I'm looking forward to reading the results of your research where you test your more sophisticated hypotheses.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    If it was common sense, why aren't more people aware of these ideas?

PS, I'm looking forward to reading the results of your research where you test your more sophisticated hypotheses.
    Why aren't more people aware?

1. They've been sold other ideas, most notably ideas about the relationship between certain products and status. But also others geared more towards selling products than securing human happiness (though they'd have you believe otherwise.)

2. They don't have that kind of disposable income anyway.

You may worship the "truths" produced by this kind of social "science," but the whole thing seems a little ludicrous to me.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

You may worship the "truths" produced by this kind of social "science," but the whole thing seems a little ludicrous to me.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post

I'm sorry if I don't take common sense notions gussied up in statistical terms very seriously.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Mastercard.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

It could be a reflection of the fact that the economies in which the research is taking place are moving away from industrial factory production and towards being entirely service based economies, trying to get people to think that way, ie what we need is experiences not TVs.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm sorry if I don't take common sense notions gussied up in statistical terms very seriously.
    Did you read the full article, or just the summary? A lot of the research they mentioned in the paper was fairly counterintuitive, like the part about comparison shopping causing a worse overall result in some cases. I thought it was interesting.

One thing I thought was weird though is that they said experiences>things, like you'll remember a vacation longer than a new iphone or something. Then a later point is many small things over one big thing (which is the only point I really disagree with) with the example of buying coffee every day or something rather than taking a vacation. Seemed like a weird thing to say.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    A lot of the research they mentioned in the paper was fairly counterintuitive, like the part about comparison shopping causing a worse overall result in some cases. I thought it was interesting.
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6XEQIsCoM"]Paradox of choice[/YOUTUBE]
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;