User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    1) is curious because I dont know what experiences you can buy and I'm not sure of the experiences which I know which can be bought arent cheaped in the process somehow.
    I think of things like hiking - I have to pay for car rental to go there, kind of expensive, but soooo worth it to me. Or tools or gear for doing activities also tend cost some money. But it is an investment in the experience, and hopefully you can use it more than once. Or renting costs money too. Going out to eat or buying quality food also.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I think of things like hiking - I have to pay for car rental to go there, kind of expensive, but soooo worth it to me. Or tools or gear for doing activities also tend cost some money. But it is an investment in the experience, and hopefully you can use it more than once. Or renting costs money too. Going out to eat or buying quality food also.
    That makes sense although I suppose I've always had a more of a utilitarian, things are means to another end, an end besides being possessions or conspiscious consumer items.

Yeah I guess using money to do things you want to do instead of collecting things you want to have.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Your thoughts?
    That was a great article, thanks for sharing it! It illustrates some of my own personal feelings about spending money, experiences as opposed to things, about many small pleasures rather than fewer big ones.

A personal example: Just recently I bought a new vegetable peeler. It replaced a scraggy old one that did a marginal job. I spent extra to get a really highly rated peeler ... and it works like a dream! The pleasure I get from using it makes me think why did I put up with the crappy one for so long, and underestimate how much irritation it added to the cumulative of little daily irritations. It makes me happy just looking at it lol!

I loved the whole "have a summer cottage" fantasy compared with the reality of snoring relatives and being covered in bug bites. So true!

Most thought-provoking were the warnings about comparison shopping. Going to re-read that section and reflect on it.

“Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us first examine how happy those are who already possess it.” François de La Rochefoucauld
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

from the article:

As the figure shows, people were
    maximally happy when they were thinking about what they
    were doing, and time-lag analyses revealed that mindwandering was a cause, and not merely an effect, of diminished
    happiness. A wandering mind is an unhappy mind, and one of
    the benefits of experiences is that they keep us focused on the
    here and now.
    That's right! Se for the win!!
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

So, helping people and being free to do what I want will make me happy. What a revelation!
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The relationship between money and happiness is surprisingly weak, which may stem in part from the way people spend it. Drawing on empirical research, we propose eight principles designed to help consumers get more happiness for their money. Specifically, we suggest that consumers should

(1) buy more experiences and fewer material goods;
    Absolutely agree with this. Best item on the list.

(2) use their money to benefit others rather than themselves;
    That's true too though there are limits to this or characteristics where I agree and where I don't. If you give your parents a nice vacation or are generous with charity, that is good. If you pay through the nose for your kid's private schools at the expense of later having enough money to retire, then no.

(3) buy many small pleasures rather than fewer large ones;
    I'm not so sure about this one. Also, what is small and what is large? It is all relative. You can buy a bunch of cheap crap and not be very happy with it. You can buy big things, owe lots of money, and be miserable.If you buy big things you really want and gain great enjoyment from (e.g. Porsche 911), I think you can be very happy with how you spent it.

(4) eschew extended warranties and other forms of overpriced insurance;
    Good practice but has nothing to do with happiness.

(5) delay consumption;
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no. General rule, I think I agree with.

(6) consider how peripheral features of their purchases may affect their day-to-day lives;
    This is pretty good insight.

(7) beware of comparison shopping; and
    Why? Don't understand this. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I should read the article.

(8) pay close attention to the happiness of others.
    Absolutely.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Rich people find ways to make themselves miserable too? What a newsflash!

That tip about buying experiences, and not goods, was pretty insightful though, I'll give it that.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Am I the only one that thinks this article does nothing more than tell us common sense notions of what humans need to feel happy (choosing to help others, engaging in enjoyable activities, being challenged and experiencing new things, being free to do things you enjoy) and propose some half-cocked methods on how better to buy these things with your money, since that's the only way we can get them?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    Rich people find ways to make themselves miserable too? What a newsflash!

That tip about buying experiences, and not goods, was pretty insightful though, I'll give it that.
    I read a good, although journalistic, book recently called Richistan which was about the uber-rich who had recently acquired their money, like people who could live one perpetual world cruise to evade taxes and that kind of thing and the entire book could have been summed up in "Its impossible to get good help", it described about how once anyone switched from working to managing their wealth that they became obsessed with getting short changed, getting less than they expected in terms of service, expecting to be disappointed and making it a self-fufilling prophecy.

Money cant buy you happiness, although if I was rich I think it would buy me enough free time to spend reading that I'd not notice.