User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

But, but .. I saw on the "news" that the problem was mostly "solved" because the central banks are pumping money into the markets!

And no, they did not even mention the word "inflation".

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

One good thing about living in a really depressed area is that housing prices never went up that much, at least, nothing comparable to how they've gone up elsewhere.

The bad thing is that there are many empty houses due to foreclosure and with sub-prime lending tightening up (as it should) those houses are likely to stay empty or to go to slum lords. There isn't really much sense in anyone even trying to flip them.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post
    And no, they did not even mention the word "inflation".
    They won't, either.

Which is ridiculous, because I'm certain my dollars are getting smaller at a rate far above what's been published lately.

Maybe the inflation rate was adjusted for inflation...?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    They won't, either.

Which is ridiculous, because I'm certain my dollars are getting smaller at a rate far above what's been published lately.

Food and energy are generally excluded from figures on inflation in the US. It's not like how much food, gas, or utilities cost actually effects anyone, right?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Food and energy are generally excluded from figures on inflation in the US. It's not like how much food, gas, or utilities cost actually effects anyone, right?
    Although that can happen, what is actually done (in reference to Oberon's original post) is the way things are weighted.

The logic goes something like this. People buy 100 gallons a month on average (in the basket). This month, gas prices rose. As a result, less people drive, so people only use 90 gallons a month.

Hence, any increase in gas decreases volume and poof, no inflation. The reality is a bit more complicated... but that's pretty much it.

FWIW, real wages have been dropping for quite some time now. The only reason it hasn't impacted significantly is because of easy credit and the "Walmart" effect, the use of increasingly low labor costs outside the US.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

They won't, either.

The problem is that they can't screw with it much anymore. They're dead in the water, they'd literally have to entirely subsidize some foods to the point that they give them away free, gas down to a buck a gallon, etc, to avoid admitting that in the last 10 years we've been seeing double-digit inflation year-over-year. To keep it in the single-digits they've been screwing with how it's calculated, removing housing, removing gas, cutting the basket to the cheapest they could identify... At this point there is nothing they can cut.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Oberon

I think by now that fuel price hikes have trickled through to all the stuff that's transported by rail and truck.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Here's something curious for you: When I moved here the gas prices were 5 cents higher than where I moved from. Since then, they have dropped 80 cents here, and they're higher on average there than here. That area is actually a rather economically-depressed area, too...

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think by now that fuel price hikes have trickled through to all the stuff that's transported by rail and truck.
    That, and the use of ethanol as fuel has driven up the price of things make with corn (virtually everything) and things fed on corn (everything else.)
    ~ John Rogers

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That, and the use of ethanol as fuel has driven up the price of things make with corn (virtually everything) and things fed on corn (everything else.)
    This is actually causing people to starve in Mexico, too. They're having a dire tortilla shortage and price hikes...

I'd say all the above is the "crisis" that my generation is supposed to deal with.