User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

While there was a lot of "false Satanism" reports occurring in the US in the 80's and it's pretty much been validated as urban legend, the reality is that parts of Africa are well-known for their violence. Villages being massacred, women being mutilated and raped, children being killed in front of the mothers; I remember when I was in a local production of Vagina Monologues last year, Eve Ensler had a 20 minute video to open every presentation of the readings across the US about the violence (especially that against women) in the Congo.

The violence described in the OP's link might sound crazy to Westernized nations, but honestly, after I saw and heard what had happened to some of these women simply because people COULD do it to them, the stories here sound pretty much par for course. It's hard to imagine that people deal with this kind of insanity on a daily basis, but it's real.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    Yeah, killing gay people is a real step up.
    Violence not related to the killing of gays has been far more widespread and devastating to the various African nations. The AIDS epidemic (not related to gay sex) in spots also has wiped out much of an entire generation of men (probably the 25-45 age range). I could see why someone might make a case that structured religion would have to be a step up in the face of daily violent chaos and lack of any cohesive relationships holding communities together, whatever the negative impact in other areas.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I can't imagine how someone could be okay torturing/killing children...

men torturing/killing each other makes me indifferent because they allow/influence the world to occur as it does through one rationalization or another, but harming children seems the equivalent of trying to remove all innocence and all hope for change from the world. I can only think that these people must lead such miserable lives...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I can't imagine how someone could be okay torturing/killing children...

men torturing/killing each other makes me indifferent because they allow/influence the world to occur as it does through one rationalization or another, but harming children seems the equivalent of trying to remove all innocence and all hope for change from the world. I can only think that these people must lead such miserable lives...
    Its superstition. Recently in the Ivory Coast there was a mass panic over vampire attackes, and a few politicians were accused of being vampires.

Then again, after reading this article Im beginning to wonder if the scare was based on true events.
    +10% Crit Chance

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    We are kind of trying to get rid of them. The Lord's Resistance Army is now designated as a terrorist organization, for starters.

Granted, we are opposed to them for much more serious offenses than burning homosexuals in ditches, but I think it is a good start, to disown these people.
    Just to clarify I wasnt suggesting that there is a positive relationship between Christianity and missionaries and atrocities, particularly those which concern western liberals, and may I just say the "forget the witches sacrificing children there's some same sex couples getting killed" response actually shocked me, along with identifying the victim with the crime "the spread of witchcraft is really caused by the presence or spread of christianity" reads much too much like "crime is caused by the ghetto, the ghetto is caused by the jew".

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    Its superstition. Recently in the Ivory Coast there was a mass panic over vampire attackes, and a few politicians were accused of being vampires.

Then again, after reading this article Im beginning to wonder if the scare was based on true events.
    I'm pretty much a product of my culture in so far as the supernatural and occult is something I associate with scary stories or films, although I have spoken with priests and missionary volunteers who've told me of inexplicable and scary things which they have witnessed, one of them went on to study psychology because they were trying to find explanations which would be something other than "magic".