User Tag List

123 Last

Default Iranian plot to murder Saudi ambassador in the US

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/11...ran/?hpt=hp_t1

The FBI and the DEA have disrupted a plot involving Iran to commit terrorism inside the United States, a senior U.S. official told CNN Tuesday. The official said the alleged plan was directed by elements of the Iranian government and involved a plot to kill the Saudi ambassador to the United States.
    FBI Director Robert Mueller said the alleged terror plot involving Iran "reads like the pages of a Hollywood script."
    Iran's response:
    An alleged plot - involving Iran - to commit terrorism inside the United States "is a fabrication," Ali Akbar Javanfekr, spokesman for Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, said Tuesday.

Javanfekr said the Iranian government is awaiting details, but suggested U.S. authorities are attempting to distract American citizens from "domestic problems" by convincing them there is an outside threat.

I'd be surprised if this is real.

Is there the possibility that both the story and the response are for domestic consumption purposes?

The thing about Iran is that the president can sound as radical as he wants, the division of powers there means that ultimate sanctions, such as assasinations or fatwas, are not within his portfolio but the theocratic authorities who're deafeningly silent most of the time while Ahmadinejad is vocal. Pundits and people in the west get excited about the pronouncements of Ahmadinejad because they imagine what it would be like if Obama or Bush were talking like that or appearing to sanction actions like that but its less like that and more like taking Coulter or that sort of mouthpeice as the "decider"

MBTI
    ENTP

On 24 May 2011 Mr Arbabsiar made contact with an informant for the US Drug Enforcement Agency, who was posing as a Mexican drug cartel member.

Over a series of meetings, it is said that details emerged of a conspiracy involving members of the Iranian government paying $1.5m (£960,000) for the assassination of Saudi ambassador Adel al-Jubeir on US soil.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15266992

Im calling shenanigans.

Remember all of the "terror plots" that were invented by FBI agents who then recruited idiots to be paraded as "terrorists" later?

"Oh, hey Mr.Completely Legit Criminal, let me tell you all the details of my big terror plan." Doesnt sound like a likely scenario.

Not making any calls yet but I wouldnt be surprised if this turns out to be bullshit. ESPECIALLY with its timing, during the Occupy protests.
    +10% Crit Chance

There's also a reason why the Brits and west took the fatwa against Rushdie more serious than Ahmadinejad's bullshit speeches.

MBTI
    INTP

Enemies plotting against enemies? On this planet? Never!

Next you'll be telling me the United States is sabotaging Iran's domestic energy policy

Ridiculous

We should just destroy Iran (government) anyways. Lies or not. It was cooler when they had the Prince of Persia, genies, and magic carpet rides.

Seriously, we all want that. Just admit it.

MBTI
    ENTP

Im really have trouble wrapping my head around this. In particular, why now?

You dont just assassinate people for shits and giggles, Iran had to gain something from this man being dead. What could possibly be the payoff of this? All it would do would strengthen Saudi US ties and unite us against Iran. And then there are the Mexican Drug cartels, why even get involved with them? Why risk the operation by bringing in a 3rd party?

Plus consider all the mistakes they made-blabing to an FBI agent, talking on an unsecure phone line, wiring money directly in to the US-that doesnt sound like and intelligence operation to me.

This whole thing stinks to high hell.
    +10% Crit Chance

From http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/12/us/ira...html?hpt=hp_t1

Rep. Peter King, a New York Republican and chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, called carrying out such a scheme an "act of war" five times during a five-minute CNN interview.
    "Everything should be left on the table when you are talking about a potential attack (in) the United States, an act of war."

MBTI
    ENTP

Peter King is one of the more amusing members of the House right now. He funded and openly supported the IRA back in the 80s and is now head of a witch huntcommittee to investigate homegrown Muslim terrorists.

When asked what the difference between the IRA and Al-Qaeda is he stated that the IRA didnt kill any AMERICANS. Im sure the families of those who died in the Marks and Spencer bombing take solace in the fact that no one AMERICAN died.

He also gave us this recent gem:

Yeah, those monsters helped end the Vietnam war and pass the Civil Rights Act. We cant let something like that happen again.
    +10% Crit Chance

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Javanfekr said the Iranian government is awaiting details, but suggested U.S. authorities are attempting to distract American citizens from "domestic problems" by convincing them there is an outside threat.
    I had a similar thought when I first saw this on the news.