User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Default Jury Duty = Slavery

Or is it not slavery just because they technically pay you? Nice loophole! I mean, WTF. Not even Wal-Mart throws their employees in jail for playing hooky.

I realize we have rights (lol! supposedly. But compared to North Korea, sure, whatever), and that we have to pay for them, but WTF are tax dollars? Payment! I don't recall being randomly forced to clean Bloomingdale's toilets just because I got some jeans there or enjoyed my right to walk in the store. That's what $$$ is for.

If anything, why don't they just have welfare queens/kings come for jury duty? That'll help fulfill their debt to society.

Any thoughts on this?
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

ThatGirl

That's because most of the Walmart employees have already been there. So it kind of loses its effect.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 10-08-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: off topic content moved elsewhere

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

jury duty equivalent to slavery? Have you gone completely mad? There is almost no rational comparison.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 10-08-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: off-topic content moved elsewhere

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

It kind of is, but it's really easy to get out of.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I think regular jobs are more akin to slavery/serfdom than jury duty, but whatever.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Yeah, all responsibility or obligations are slavery.

Nice direction Libertarian America's got going there.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It's only slavery if there is NO payoff of value to you. For me, I value our government and judicial system so it would not feel like slavery to me to fullfill the jury duty obligation, however, there are a lot of people who see money as the only payoff for your time that is valuable. Jury duty pays less than minimum wage or often times nothing.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Technically speaking, jury duty could be considered a form of slavery, much in the same way as being indirectly forced to work a shitty job is slavery, albeit with much less of a tangible payoff. Personally I don't approve of jury duty, because I think that forcing ordinary people, most of whom are potentially ignorant or stupid, to participate in crucial legal matters against their will is rather ineffecient and nonsensical. Juror's are prone to bias as much as judges and lawyers are, if not more so since there is a strong possibility that they are reluctant to be there in the first place. I'd rather that we have a system where juror is a payable occupation (one where the income cannot influence the juror's decision) that is held only by those whom would want to participate in such manners.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    It kind of is, but it's really easy to get out of.
    have you been called for jury duty?, because it is not easy to get out of at all. i got called last summer and tried getting out of it due to the fact that my mom was dying, and actually did die the week i would have been doing jury duty. When i called them about it i got a "shrug, you are an american citizen, deal with it." i was able to postpone it until the next year but it was hugely inconvenient.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've only been called twice, I think. It's actually NOT as big a deal for me, unless I'd have to be sequestered or something, because I've always worked for a company that compensates me financially to make up the balance for whatever the jury duty does not pay, so I don't lose any salary by being on a jury; however, I understand that is not a case for everyone.

@Saturned: I did not have trouble getting out of duty. One time I claimed I was unemployed and was out of state finding work in my field (which I was), and they let me out. The other time, jury selection did not get to me; I was in a group of people being considered for a murder trial, and they got enough jurors before reaching my name, so everyone left got sent home. Obviously, though, unless you're on a federal case, it's a state/local process, so YMMV.

Also, I see so much bitching about verdicts (like Casey Anthony), yet smart people are bitching about having to be jurists. Uh, no, either one or the other; either you get smart jurors who donate their time to contribute their thoughts to an outcome, or you slough it off on people who might not think as clearly and can't get out of duty, and then you gotta live with the decision.

Since I don't lose money for being on a juror, I actually think it would be really fascinating, and I would like to contribute to a verdict. However, I also understand that jury selection is a political process, and I honestly doubt I'd ever be able to be a jurist on a case amounting to much; I would get screened out far too quickly, since I'm an analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, please.

As far as I'm concerned, you want something in life, you have to pay for it.
    You want ultimate cosmic power, you get itty bitty living space.
    You wanna be in a relationship, well, it's also a commitment.
    You want freedom... well, it costs you.

Otherwise let's just have the government decide on their own who gets punished how, and then we can bitch about we have no say.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft