User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    @Saturned. Yes I've been called. I meant that it's easy to get out of being selected as a juror. Just say you have some bias. In my case it was a murder trial I guess with an autopsy and I was not chosen because I knew someone who worked in the medical profession. I was actually hoping to get chosen in that case but no go. In another case I had school and they excused me from having to show up.
    In California, they won't excuse for school reasons. And they're cracking down on bias claims.

Hopefully I won't get called in (have a summons, service begins next next Monday), much less get selected.

I wonder if I should tell them the truth if I do. That, trust me, they do NOT want me as a juror, because I don't give a flying shit about the defendant. In fact, I'm just pissed to have my time wasted, and will decide randomly for shits and giggles.

I'm self-employed, and had 3 new prospective clients to meet that week. I don't want to risk missing out on them because I had to reschedule them.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Look @Jennifer , sounding all SJ-ish

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Look Jennifer , sounding all SJ-ish
    It's really just how the system works.

You cannot get something for nothing, the system doesn't work that way, nor does life, nor do relationships. It's not because it's the social assumption/convention, it's because experientially it simply does not work. If you try to rob a system without putting something into it, it either collapses or pinwheels out of control.

I also don't really care much either way which outcome it is. If we want to have a say in the process, then we can't abdicate whenever we feel like it; if we don't want a say, then we can't bitch when the system goes in a way we don't like. Either is okay; but it seems incoherent to bitch about a system one had a chance to participate in and refused.

Which is a rational approach. It's all cause/effect and/or system balance at work here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Well, if I had a job where me taking time off wasn't a big deal it would be one thing. But I don't.

And being given an attitude of how it isn't the state's problem that my life was falling apart - while true on one level, sure as hell pissed me off that there was no slack given for extenuating circumstances going on.
    Frankly, I think it's a bit loopy of them to expect you to be rational and fair-minded about the matters of a court case during such an upheaval in your life. :/

Some of these people need to watch the 2009 Star Trek movie.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    have you been called for jury duty?, because it is not easy to get out of at all. i got called last summer and tried getting out of it due to the fact that my mom was dying, and actually did die the week i would have been doing jury duty. When i called them about it i got a "shrug, you are an american citizen, deal with it." i was able to postpone it until the next year but it was hugely inconvenient.
    Just make them know that you have beliefs about stuff. This should get you off.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Well, it is a form of "slavery," since the term accounts for "forced labor." The question is whether this form of slavery is justified, and what makes it different from other forms of slavery which are not justified. IMO, I think it is justified if only because the alternatives are bleak. If we make it completely voluntary, then you get the problem of (1) not enough volunteers, or (2) the type of people volunteering not being fit to issue judgment (i.e., think of the type of person that would always volunteer and their personal motivations), or (3) the same people volunteering over and over again, which would not be good for maintaining impartiality. Problems (2) and (3) apply equally to the idea of making jury duty a paid profession, with the added problem that they would then have professional and institutional interests, which would also hamper their impartiality.

Of course, there's also the alternative of having no juries, which I don't think anybody would agree is good. So the only feasible option is to keep our present system and try to clean it up a bit. Whether or not it is slavery says nothing about its rightness or wrongness.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

To me, it isn't so much slavery as a very expensive tax if I'm contract or self-employed (adding up to much more than property taxes for a year or two if I actually got selected).

However, it's very easy to get out of. They don't want INTJ jurors, no way no how. Just express an opinion about everything. For example, they want you to only consider the evidence in front of you, and they really don't want you to be essentially giving your expert opinion about anything during jury deliberations (not that it's their business nor do they have any say over the jury). If you're really not INTJ enough, just say you watch CSI a lot and think it's really cool how they take the forensic evidence and figure out who's guilty from that. You'll be gone in a day.

For the most part, excuses (work, school, expense) don't work, but being opinionated makes the lawyers from both sides of whatever case it is disinclined to select you.

Of course, if you actually want to be on a jury, be as UNopinionated as possible, and they might choose you.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    For the most part, excuses (work, school, expense) don't work, but being opinionated makes the lawyers from both sides of whatever case it is disinclined to select you.

Of course, if you actually want to be on a jury, be as UNopinionated as possible, and they might choose you.
    Yeah, making it clear that you have an ideological basis for your answers is a sure-fire way to get dismissed. For instance, I went in for jury selection on a rape case, and some guy told them that he did not believe in laws. I thought it was an obvious tactic, but he was one of the first dismissed.

As for myself, I don't usually have to say anything crazy or make excuses to get out of it. I've been dismissed three times (though it might have had to do with saying I was a grad student in rhetoric.) I saw one other guy dismissed, too, because he said he had an M.A. in philosophy.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^lol, no one in my industry gets picked, precisely because of the CSI factor, and well some of us actualy trained in forensics, (not me unfortunately). They thinking of abolishing the jury system in Australia, after it was found verdicts were being affected in long trials. People are not going to be thinking straight, if they have lost jobs, missed out on promotions or their business is going down the gurgler due to long jury duty and that's just some of the financial hardships people go through. Two weeks isn't so bad. Oh, during sequestering apparently accommodation is not so great.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

A policeman told me once that if you want to get out of jury duty, just tell them something like, "If the police said he did it, then I believe them." That will get you off really quick.

I believe they choose jury duty only from registered voters, so I suppose if you are willing to give up your right to vote, that you could avoid being called up.