User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Anew Leaf

Well, if I had a job where me taking time off wasn't a big deal it would be one thing. But I don't.

And being given an attitude of how it isn't the state's problem that my life was falling apart - while true on one level, sure as hell pissed me off that there was no slack given for extenuating circumstances going on.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Well, if I had a job where me taking time off wasn't a big deal it would be one thing. But I don't.

And being given an attitude of how it isn't the state's problem that my life was falling apart - while true on one level, sure as hell pissed me off that there was no slack given for extenuating circumstances going on.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see that kind of decision impacted more by the personality of the judge in question, as to what kind of "excuse" is reasonable. It's not supposed to, but I've had my own experiences with judges to know how they can stretch the parameters to accommodate their own foibles and pet peeves.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see that kind of decision impacted more by the personality of the judge in question, as to what kind of "excuse" is reasonable. It's not supposed to, but I've had my own experiences with judges to know how they can stretch the parameters to accommodate their own foibles and pet peeves.
    this wasn't the judge, it whomever answered the phone at the office.

she even went into this spiel about how it is my civic duty to serve. because that was exactly the magic fix i was needing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    this wasn't the judge, it whomever answered the phone at the office.

she even went into this spiel about how it is my civic duty to serve. because that was exactly the magic fix i was needing.
    Did you actually have to serve, or did you just go sit in a room for a day, then get called the next day saying your services would no longer be needed?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Did you actually have to serve, or did you just go sit in a room for a day, then get called the next day saying your services would no longer be needed?
    yes, i had to serve. i spent a boring week being called in so that i could sit in hallways while the lawyers argued. fortunately they let me go for the following week, otherwise where i live it's 2 glorious weeks.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Damn. Sorry to hear that. I guess Pennsylvania's been more efficient, they didn't want to pay us any more money than they had to despite me supposedly having to do a "two-week stint" too. It's always been either nothing or just a day or 1.5 days, and that is other people's experience too here. Might also be based on population, where they "overdraft" the number of people they need and most thus get off the hook.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

@Saturned. Yes I've been called. I meant that it's easy to get out of being selected as a juror. Just say you have some bias. In my case it was a murder trial I guess with an autopsy and I was not chosen because I knew someone who worked in the medical profession. I was actually hoping to get chosen in that case but no go. In another case I had school and they excused me from having to show up.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    @Saturned. Yes I've been called. I meant that it's easy to get out of being selected as a juror. Just say you have some bias. In my case it was a murder trial I guess with an autopsy and I was not chosen because I knew someone who worked in the medical profession. I was actually hoping to get chosen in that case but no go. In another case I had school and they excised me from having to show up.
    Oh, I see what you mean, gotcha!

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

@Jennifer

Lol! So to have freedom, you have to serve against your will or get jailed? Uh huh.

Why not just have tax incentives for serving (or committing to serve if needed), or even rescind city voting rights if you opt out for the year. But jailing people? Come on...
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Jennifer: Lol! So to have freedom, you have to serve against your will or get jailed? Uh huh.
    I think it was pretty clear I wasn't discussing the punishments involved, but just whether or not it was reasonable to expect citizens to be involved with the law process, especially as opposed to the alternative of a more totalitarian and impenetrable gov process. But if you'd like to discuss reasonable punishments/restrictions:

Why not just have tax incentives for serving (or committing to serve if needed), or even rescind city voting rights if you opt out for the year. But jailing people? Come on...
    Lol... Those sound like wonderful ideas, don't they?

Since you've come up with them without seemingly having thought them through, why don't you make a comparison list of pro's and con's and likely responses and failure points (good/bad) for each of those possibilities. Don't forget to factor in the increasing bias (rather than random sample) of allowing the pool to partially select itself and external pressures able to influence who agrees to be part of a jury pool vs doesn't, and the opportunities for extortion.