User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Thread: Male dominance

The eternal battle that's the gift that keeps on giving to those who enjoy gender wars. Myself, I'm pretty sick of gender wars.

I love men because they're bigger and stronger than me. They also have a penis. Beyond that, if one tries to dominate me and it's worth my while, I will cut off his balls. If he's not worth putting in the effort of sharpening my knife, I'll ignore him.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    The eternal battle that's the gift that keeps on giving to those who enjoy gender wars. Myself, I'm pretty sick of gender wars.
    I know, right? I'm baffled by men and women who rather focus on what's wrong rather than what's right.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Some of this seems misleading and in at least two cases is factually incorrect. The overall tone of it I'm afraid sounds like ego stroking and wound licking. We don't really stand to gain anything talking about who was subjectively better or one gender fearing the other's awesomeness (imagine if I said women felt that way toward men). I take the answer in my first post to be quite sufficient.
    I'd like to know which two cases are factually incorrect?
    Also i think it would not be too far off the mark to say the same would be true of women comparatively in modern times. Of course it would be worded differently as our society has developed drastically and yes it would be less obvious/extreme in western countries.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    There's a very long way to go before women have equal rights in the world. In some societies, we're better off than in others, but for the most part, there's still work to do...
    Oh yes there is still a lot of work to do, although it is a lot more subtle in western societies, i am reminded everytime i hear throw away sexist comments like "women are bad drivers". Of course, other countries have much bigger battles.
    Interestingly when i express views regarding female inequality i am lumped in with radical feminists which in actuality is laughable since my views are in tune with equality for both sexes ergo i feel very strongly about men's rights too.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    Im going to go out on a limb and say this author subscribes to "Womb Envy" theory as well. My personal theory for why men oppressed women is because humans are monkeys and also just sort of suck in general.
    I dont believe that, although I do think that if you're blocked in some way, and it could as simple as finding your in desperate need of food or precious resources are scarce (which need not simply be food, it could be feeling), then your development will take a different course.

Its why I think in the bible and literature of antiquity they talk about the "hard hearted" or there are admonishments and directions stating "do not harden your heart", they where conscious of the path humans can take under stress and trauma.

When that happens its the weakest and most vulnerable which will be the bottom of the heap, which means women most of the time, I dont mean because they are not the physical equal of men, some are, even if they are not the equal of all men they could be the equal of most or those that count in the present situation but that there a lot of factors which make them more vulnerable than men, child bearing for instance.

Womb envy is a bizarre idea, as bizarre as penis envy, when Karen Horney mentioned that it was by way of being dismissive about Freud's original idea, it wasnt as a serious proposition, to be honest, while I understand that Freud was talking about early theorising by children which had becoming embedded in the unconscious, so it doesnt seem so batshit crazy, I'm still inclined to agree with Horney.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I know, right? I'm baffled by men and women who rather focus on what's wrong rather than what's right.
    Well, I wouldnt want a war, especially not a mutually assured destruction one, but when it doesnt threaten basic harmony I think some conflict and competition can be healthy. Its not healthy if people feel it and cant express it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    I love men because they're bigger and stronger than me. They also have a penis. Beyond that, if one tries to dominate me and it's worth my while, I will cut off his balls. If he's not worth putting in the effort of sharpening my knife, I'll ignore him.
    Yes, the penis is quite nice. I think we can all agree on that.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

Thoughts, anyone - link?

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Interestingly when i express views regarding female inequality i am lumped in with radical feminists which in actuality is laughable since my views are in tune with equality for both sexes ergo i feel very strongly about men's rights too.
    I find it unfortunate that being a feminist is generally considered a bad thing in this society, due to widespread negative connotations and ideas of all feminists as being extremists. ...not to say anything about you, personally! I was just reminded by your remark. Feminist theory includes a lot of different forms of feminism (not that I have a great understanding of it!) and it includes ideas of equality and ideas about sexuality, race, etc - not just the idea that woman = good. Certainly not, in all forms of feminism, the idea that woman > man.

There is a term I have not discovered yet that includes the term feminist, but that is just one tiny segment of its meaning. This term includes those who believe in the equality of all sexes, races, nationalities, ages, body types, classes, socio-economic-statuses, sexualities, etc, etc, people in all their eccentricities... those who work against sexism, racism, ageism, other discrimination/prejudiced ways of thinking and advocate the rights for those who currently do not hold equal positions in society (women, racial minorities, handicapped people, etc) ...while respecting all people, promoting the ideas that no one is inherently superior and differences between us are often exaggerated by society's dictates.

...Whoops, I'm going all NF here and I think I'm getting off topic. Um. Male dominance. It exists; unfortunately for some. That's my input for now.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Idealatious View Post

I find it unfortunate that being a feminist is generally considered a bad thing in this society, due to widespread negative connotations and ideas of all feminists as being extremists. ...not to say anything about you, personally! I was just reminded by your remark. Feminist theory includes a lot of different forms of feminism (not that I have a great understanding of it!) and it includes ideas of equality and ideas about sexuality, race, etc - not just the idea that woman = good. Certainly not, in all forms of feminism, the idea that woman > man.
    I tend to find that people who deride feminism are generally extremists (think Rush Limbaugh). Feminists can certainly be extremists, but I would say that disenfranchising women is arguably an extremist stance in the civilized world, at this time.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I tend to find that people who deride feminism are generally extremists (think Rush Limbaugh). Feminists can certainly be extremists, but I would say that disenfranchising women is arguably an extremist stance in the civilized world, at this time.
    I would generally agree. But it doesn't take an extremist to not like feminism. Many women like to say things like "I'm not a feminist, but I think women and men should be treated as equals." Which confuses me, since that can be considered one of the main definitions of feminism at its simplest. Feminism gets a bad rap.

Wow, I just Googled the phrase "I'm not a feminist, but". So many relevant results.