First 34567 Last

Thread: Male dominance

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Some feminists attribute the domination of women to the advent of the notion of "private property." There may be something to this.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    YAY AFRICA!
    Wow Edgar, i didn't know you cared.
    Also, relevance?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I guess we have different definitions of 'discussing.' I thought I was until you accused me of stereotyping you. I was more pointing, as I said, to the mentality. I love to discuss things, Lark. You are the one who exited. Which is totally fine. Perhaps you have different requirements for engaging in discussions than I do. I like to discuss and argue.
    You got that right.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Wow Edgar, i didn't know you cared.
    Also, relevance?
    The location of Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Did I open a can of worms? If so, I apologize...

Well, I admit that the name is kinda misleading. But the idea is that there are some elements in our culture that trivialize rape, or that has an overly specific definition of "rape" - like how, until not too long ago, a man forcing his wife into sex was not considered "rape", despite the obvious lack of consent.

Remember that thread here, from last month, I think, about a wannabe comedian that pretty much confessed to raping a woman and was applauded by it? It's stuff like that.

I'm no expert, though, so take my analysis with a grain of salt.
    I think that's a good point, although more recently than that someone posted about a male member of their social circle making unwanted sexual advances and remarks towards them, exerting pressure, without, apparently or at least I posted about it, the group rebuking him in his behaviour. They were asking for advice and I was annoyed that this is more common place. It wasnt when I was growing up. When I was growing up being accused of being a "perve" or something similar would still have been something people would seek to avoid, much less aggressive flirting would even have been group or self censored.

That sort of thing, the applause, to me that's a little like the South Park humour, when people behave in that way you have to consider their motives, they could be trying to show they reject political correctness or any manner of things, instead of the more simple explanation that they support or trivialise rape. It is one of the things I lament that society appears to be so culturally confused that it cant judge things with reference to those things themselves and only those things, not other things, no matter how related those things are or appear to be.

There is some evidence that a hardening of hearts and minds is taking place, this perhaps is one, the other could have been the tea party supporters cheering the prospect of people being left to die, I dont know how serious it is yet. Its not excluisvely related to rape but it usually is related to power, dominance, things like that.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Or maybe i am just a radical feminist?
    Maybe you are or maybe you'd like to be, I'll not venture to supply the answer to that one.

Once you're finished working on your identity issues you could join the discussion. Do you know what a straw man is btw?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

You know what interests me too is that no one has argued in favour of male dominance, that's definitely a change from when I was younger, I remember when talk about the battle of the sexes and who was dominant and why was feasible without it being couched in such incendiary ways, now if you where to talk about male dominance it would seem anathema to most people and connections like the dominance of one sex over another would get connected to violence and rape. That's a change which makes discussion difficult. Increases self-censorious mindsets and I'm not sure its a good thing.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    It means that, in my personal opinion, I think Americans engaging in our modern society just don't care as much about things like that. I think the music industry is a great indicator of that (Of thinking of women purely as sexual objects). I'm not saying it as some high-and-mighty I super-care-in-comparison-to-everyone-else sort of way. It's just an opinion. I'm using objectification in the terms it's being used in, or the way I perceive it to be used in, this thread.. To focus on women on a purely physical level in a negative way.
    Do you think there is a way to view women in a purely physical way that isn't negative? (and I'm not talking about art)

Your use the word "we" worries me a bit.
    The topic is about males. Your post is also talking about American culture. I am both American, and have a penis.

Women and men are sexual objects.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Maybe you are or maybe you'd like to be, I'll not venture to supply the answer to that one.

Once you're finished working on your identity issues you could join the discussion. Do you know what a straw man is btw?
    I note a distinct lack of a third option here which is that i am not a radical feminist (nor desire to be).
    It interesting though that you chose to ignore the rest of my post, which was a direct reply to your question.

This question....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

Can anyone tell me of an actual existing culture which fits this description?

Also interesting is that you seem to be assuming i have not already joined this discussion by directing responding to your question.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

I don't know what you're trying to prove there. You gave me a link, but I gave you a link too that states otherwise. I also said something after that, something "history is written by winners". did you read that?

Regarding before, I cannot change your mind, only you can do so, but I certainly would never pull out a gun if my country was invaded. What do you mean invaded? What would that change you personally? And why would you resort to violence? The instinct for COMPETITION and AGGRESSIVENESS is a male one. The eternal fight to see who has the bigger penis. That might well be one of the reasons men dominate women. Anyway, this is a long reasoning that you would have to do yourself with yourself.

Lastly, one of the problems of the internet is that we have moved on from reading FEW information provided by EXPERTS to reading A LOT of information provided by ANYONE. You might get one or too illuminated answers with this thread but most will be uneducated mentals farts (just as when you ask for directions and maybe the person helping you doesn't know the way, but they will tell you to go somewhere anyway). you can also include me in the last category. in fact, i did not want to give my opinion on the reasons behind male dominance (but now i had to since you went there), i merely wanted to tell you that IF YOU ARE INTERESTED YOU SHOULD READ STUFF BY ACTUAL EXPERTS.

Take care, ciao.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    How so?

There are no known societies that are unambiguously matriarchal, [1][2][3][4][5][6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matriarchy