User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Sniffles

So when is the first meeting of Mothers Against Australia?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I was going to say "why would you say that", but then saw your addition when I hit "quote." I really liked Sydney - it reminded me of Vancouver. And I still dream about Manly Beach.
    Yeah, see, I might feel differently if I lived in Manly, or grew up in the Northern Beaches (of which Manly is a part). Sadly, I grew up in Blacktown in Western Sydney, which is among the shittiest shit holes imaginable, and I still don't live all that far from there, in a mire of ultra-conservative nationalist rednecks. The Sydney that people visit from overseas is the not the Sydney of my experience.
    Ni Fe Ti Ne Fi Te Si Se
    RLUEI (RlUx|I|)
    5w4, 4w5, 9w8

My Blog

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Jesus View Post
    Yeah, see, I might feel differently if I lived in Manly, or grew up in the Northern Beaches (of which Manly is a part). Sadly, I grew up in Blacktown in Western Sydney, which is among the shittiest shit holes imaginable, and I still don't live all that far from there, in a mire of ultra-conservative nationalist rednecks. The Sydney that people visit from overseas is the not the Sydney of my experience.
    Hm, I see what you mean. I think it's easy to go to a place like Sydney, be a tourist and just think it's paradise. I stayed with a friend's mom when I went but she lived in Coogee, which was pretty nice - gorgeous beach for sure.

Similar with Vancouver really. (I haven't lived there but grew up nearby, and have spent a lot of time there.) A lot of people think it just looks like the most fantastic place imaginable. It can be, especially if you have enough money to live somewhere nice. However, it's even more likely that you live in one of the redneck suburbs where there are frequent gang shootings. Then there's the Downtown East Side, Canada's poorest urban area, where you can see needles, junkies and prostitutes everywhere.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Hm, I see what you mean. I think it's easy to go to a place like Sydney, be a tourist and just think it's paradise. I stayed with a friend's mom when I went but she lived in Coogee, which was pretty nice - gorgeous beach for sure.

Similar with Vancouver really. (I haven't lived there but grew up nearby, and have spent a lot of time there.) A lot of people think it just looks like the most fantastic place imaginable. It can be, especially if you have enough money to live somewhere nice. However, it's even more likely that you live in one of the redneck suburbs where there are frequent gang shootings. Then there's the Downtown East Side, Canada's poorest urban area, where you can see needles, junkies and prostitutes everywhere.
    Exactly. It's probably like that with any major progressive city though. Tourists never see the crap, because that's not what they're there to see. Exploring suburbia is not something really worth travelling thousands of kilometres for.
    Ni Fe Ti Ne Fi Te Si Se
    RLUEI (RlUx|I|)
    5w4, 4w5, 9w8

My Blog

Smile Knowing and Loving Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Jesus View Post
    I hate Australia*. But then, I live in Sydney, so I have good cause.

*I don't actually hate Australia
    The problem for most of us is that we take Australia for granted. But moving out into the world, we find we need to establish our identiy, it is no good just taking it for granted, we need to know our history, we need to know our geography and environment, we need to know our culture and our science, in order to know who we are.

And the interesting surprise is that we are an interesing people with strength and depth.

However if we limit ourselves to popular culture, particularly the popular culture of the USA, we are selling ourselves short.

So if we want to know who we are, we don't limit ourselves to the black armband view of history, rather we see ourselves as the sons and daughters of the Enlightenment in a unique and wonderful environment. We practise daily liberal democracy. And as well we are one of the most progressive countries on Earth, as witnessed just yesterday with the passing of the Parliamentary Bill for a clean, green future.

So to know and love ourselves we need to know and love Australia.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem for most of us is that we take Australia for granted. But moving out into the world, we find we need to establish our identiy, it is no good just taking it for granted, we need to know our history, we need to know our geography and environment, we need to know our culture and our science, in order to know who we are.

And the interesting surprise is that we are an interesing people with strength and depth.

However if we limit ourselves to popular culture, particularly the popular culture of the USA, we are selling ourselves short.

So if we want to know who we are, we don't limit ourselves to the black armband view of history, rather we see ourselves as the sons and daughters of the Enlightenment in a unique and wonderful environment. We practise daily liberal democracy. And as well we are one of the most progressive countries on Earth, as witnessed just yesterday with the passing of the Parliamentary Bill for a clean, green future.

What?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say by saying taking Australia for granted. I had no choice about where I was born, I need not be thankful for it, it's just something (comparitively fortunate) that happened.

You are right, Australians are an interesting people with strength and depth, but the same can be said of every other nation. Australia and its people are no more or less special than any other country.

But, the points you're making are not really true. Our so called liberal "democracy" is an utterly pointless example of two-party idiocy, the current unusual situation notwithstanding. And to describe Australia as "one of the most progressive countries on earth" on the basis of a rather dubious tax, makes very little sense.

Finally, as I'm not a nationalist of any sort, my nationality does not form a significant enough part of my identity that I need to know and love my country to any great degree in order to know and love myself.
    Ni Fe Ti Ne Fi Te Si Se
    RLUEI (RlUx|I|)
    5w4, 4w5, 9w8

My Blog

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Aussies get eaten by Great Whites.

Americans surf them!

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Aussies get eaten by Great Whites.

Americans surf them!
    Just because your sharks are pussies doesn't mean ours are.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Just because your sharks are pussies doesn't mean ours are.
    Nice try, chum!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Why did I even open this thread?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.