User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    The continent of Australia comprises the island of New Guinea too, much of which was part of the Dutch East Indies and is now part of Indonesia.

So no, no one 'united' the continent of Australia. Ever.
    The Arafura Sea lies between Australia and Indonesia. And the Torres Strait lies between Australia and the Independent State of Papua New Guinea.

And not only did we unite the Continent of Australia, we claim half of the Continent of Antarctica - that's one Continent and a half, or as they say, one Continent and a spare.

But not content with so many Continents we had the bravura to include New Zealand in our Constitution.

And then we had the hide to be in the right place at the right time, just as the giants of Asia are taking off economically and taking us long for the ride - thank you very much.

No wonder you hate Australia and Australians.

Ginkgo

I'm going to go disembowel some koala bears with my toenails. Thanks, Vic! I wouldn't have been aware of my new calling without you.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Paranoia, as you know, is psychological preparation to attack. And it has the advantage of providing a simple solution to a complex problem.
    Don't worry. Be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I'm going to go disembowel some koala bears with my toenails. Thanks, Vic! I wouldn't have been aware of my new calling without you.
    Perhaps you would prefer to disembowel our Physicists, for just the other day one of them won the Nobel Prize for Physics for discovering that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.

There is no question we have a lot to hate. So take your pick koalas, Physicists, Poets and Artists, and even me.

Let yourself go. Wallow in your hatred of Austalia and Australians to your hearts content. Let it be your catharsis and you will no doubt emerge as a better person.

One moment you may be wallowing in your hatred of Australia and Australians and the next you may be taking us as role models.

And soon we will count you as a philo-australian.

Ginkgo

Okay, I'm back. While out, my friend drew some portraits of me killing all koala bears.

violaine

Did anyone ever tell you that you look like a buff Seinfeld? lol, awesome drawing.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

These are fabrications. And if you would take the time to read the scholarly work by the historian, Keith Windschuttle, called, "The Fabrication of Aboriginal History", in three volumes, you might feel less need to spread your poisonous hatred of Australia and Australians.
    Does this mean you're like the Australian version of a Holocaust denier?

So everything I've just spent the semester learning in my Communication, Culture and Indigenous Australians class at university was a waste of time?

Perhaps you would be so kind as to write me a note to excuse me from further classes if it is all baseless and groundless.

I'm not sure why clarifying that Europeans killed many aboriginals means i hate Australia. I love Australia, and i love being Australian, but in settling this country we did some pretty shitty things.

Edit: I can't believe i just answered that seriously. God i must be bored at work.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

The Arafura Sea lies between Australia and Indonesia. And the Torres Strait lies between Australia and the Independent State of Papua New Guinea.
    The English Channel lies between the island of Great Britain and France: are you suggesting Great Britain is not part of Europe? The Sea of Japan lies between Japan and the Korean peninsula, China and Russia: is Japan not part of Asia?

No wonder you hate Australia and Australians.
    I love Australia and Australians. Just not you.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    I think that rivalry is kind of old school and meant in jest. I like NZers fwiw. (It doesn't even really hurt anymore when they smash us in the Rugby.) It's def the Australians who are obnoxious about it though, not the kiwis ime.
    Australians in general are quite an obnoxious bunch when travelling overseas for the first time. Aussie backpackers are the worst. They (we) seem to feel a need to represent the quintessential Aussie, which apparently means drinking more than anyone else, being loud, "cheeky" (ie rude mostly, when done without wit), and bragging about how much more awesome Australia is than anywhere else. Basically they turn into yobbos. Tall tales about the deadly fauna and landscapes of Aus are often involved. Few will admit they've lived in a perfectly safe city most of their lives. I can't judge too harshly, given that when I first went to Germany (18) I turned up at the airport in an Akubra hat and wearing one of these jackets:

I'm...I'm not proud.

When my parents were backpacking around Europe in the 70s they actually told everyone they were kiwis in order to distance themselves from the Ugly Australians. People had even less of an idea about NZ back then, so there was bugger all chance they'd be exposed as frauds. It's a bit like the way some American backpackers put a Canadian flag on their backpacks and tell people they're Canadian to get away from any anti-American sentiment abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Got it.. I wish you guys wouldn't be so confrontational.
    Teasing is just about the only form of bonding we allow ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Damned ... I don't even know a derogatory word for an Aussie. Eh, Kangaroo humper?
    Kiwis call us shackle-draggers, convicts, crims, the criminal element or just "the element". All in reference to our origins as a population hand-picked by the finest judges in the UK. Not a bad place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    Does this mean you're like the Australian version of a Holocaust denier?

So everything I've just spent the semester learning in my Communication, Culture and Indigenous Australians class at university was a waste of time?

Perhaps you would be so kind as to write me a note to excuse me from further classes if it is all baseless and groundless.

I'm not sure why clarifying that Europeans killed many aboriginals means i hate Australia. I love Australia, and i love being Australian, but in settling this country we did some pretty shitty things.

Edit: I can't believe i just answered that seriously. God i must be bored at work.
    I'll bet my boots you did not read the seminal work on Aboriginal History by the Australian historian, Keith Windschuttle, in three volumes and called, "The Fabrication of Aboriginal History".

No less a historian than the doyen of American historians, Claudio Veliz, has described, "The Fabrication of Aboriginal History", as a seminal work, a courageous work, a game changer, that changes our whole view of Aboriginal History. But you know nothing about it, never mind having read it and critiqued it.

No doubt your institution has exposed you to cheap propaganda which we now call the black armband view of history.

I imagine your institution fails to encourage critical and creative thinking, but prefers to tell you what to think. And naturally you swallow it, as easily as you swallow a beer or MBTI.