User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

@spamtar: yes, the slippery slope effect is indeed something to watch out for. Who is to say a precedent hasn't already been set anyway?
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I'd be curious to read what sort of legal provisions allowed him to authorize this and why some other country couldn't sue the shit out of us for violating some international law.
    The U.S. does not hold itself accountable to international law. It only holds others accountable when it's in its interest to do so.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ

One of the benefits of hegemony.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    The U.S. does not hold itself accountable to international law. It only holds others accountable when it's in its interest to do so.
    This really bothers the hell out of me
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    @spamtar: yes, the slippery slope effect is indeed something to watch out for. Who is to say a precedent hasn't already been set anyway?
    I may be wrong but as far as I am aware (although strongly suspect there has been some CIA killing of US citizens unreported) this public sanctioned killing of an American citizen by a U.S President without due process (or imminent harm was readily apparent was unprecedented. The closest precedent I am aware of is the uncharged detention, torture and denial of access of attorney to U.S. Citizen Jose Padilla by the Bush administration.

It may be noted in Obama's secret memorandum but that is not public but apparently the "The memorandum, which was written more than a year before Mr. Awlaki was killed, does not independently analyze the quality of the evidence against him." See http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/wo...=1&_r=1&emc=na

What is a precedent is that it is a federal crime to murder U.S. Citizen's abroad http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...9----000-.html
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

......this public sanctioned killing of an American citizen by a U.S President without due process in self defense from an imminent harm was unprecedented.

That is extremely specific. Where do you suspect this will lead?

Also, just because there is a precedent, who is to say it will continue?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENTP

......this public sanctioned killing of an American citizen by a U.S President without due process in self defense from an imminent harm was unprecedented.

Also, just because there is a precedent, who is to say it will continue?
    Just because we give a group of corrupt officials the ability to kill anyone for any reason while being accountable to no one, whos to say that they will use it?
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    Just because we give a group of corrupt officials the ability to kill anyone for any reason while being accountable to no one, whos to say that they will use it?
    Well, there is a difference between them officially having the ability to kill people, and someone previously having killed someone.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I think it will lead to the killing of more U.S. Citizen's by the federal executive office without traditional due process protections. The natural logical extention would be thoughout the years to perhaps the State Executive offices too and then perhaps eventually even the city police who walk the beats. Maybe they will call it the "Kill first, ask questions later" Due Process exception.

[Also, just because there is a precedent, who is to say it will continue?
    Well if the doctrin of stare decisis is followed then apparently the Judiciary is not the one who will say if it will be allowed to continue. http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...m-US-kill-list
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, there is a difference between them officially having the ability to kill people, and someone previously having killed someone.
    They will face no consequences for this. And as far as I know they are operating within the limits of Constitution 2.0(See: Absolutely nothing) so they can do this as much as they please. What, do you expect the American People to actually DO SOMETHING about this? Hell, there are people who actually SUPPORT this. I wouldnt be surprised if they are the majority either.

You cant make a freedom omelette without cracking a few un-constitutional eggs. We are all safer for having the head of the Al-Qaeda yearbook club dead. Im sure when the War on Terror is won and the mudslimes are dead all of our constitutional rights will be returned to us.

In the meantime Ill just be silently praying that the Mayans were right.
    +10% Crit Chance