MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    A RUTHLESS ENEMY WHO RUNS A NEWSLETTER.
    Yeah, it's eerily reminiscent of Pinochet's program to kill political dissidents, isn't it? He would say that they were "terrorists" (even though the vast majority were unarmed factory workers, unionists, or people putting out political pamphlets) and then have the military round them up into death stadiums where they were tortured, killed, and then dumped by helicopter into the ocean.

The problem is that it was basically an execution decision made in complete obscurity; whether Awlaki was a good guy or a terrible guy (or to what extent he represented a "threat" to America) is beside the point. The utter lack of transparency or answerability to any judicial body is wrong, because even if it may have been used more or less well on Awlaki (which is definitely arguable), it can easily be used for other more nefarious reasons. That's why it's frightening.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    Turn himself in for what? They never put up charges or anything, just labeled him a 'threat' ...rather broad isn't it?
    And now he's dead! Win-win.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Awlaki did more than that.
    I left out his Jihadist facebook group. Sorry about that.
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    ENTP

A closing comment on this issue.

Why purpose did Stalins show-trails serve? Did they serve the purpose of painting Zinoviev and the other Bolsheviks as sexual deviants and terrorists and whatever the hell else he charged them with? No.

They made it damn clear to everyone that Stalin runs the shit and it doesnt mean a damn if your innocent or guilty. He can kill you and he will kill you if you so much as look at him wrong.

This guy didnt even get a show trial. We dont care about this guy because he was a doubleplus bad Islamic terrorist. But that wont set the precident for future assassinations. This is just dipping our toes in the water, letting us get used to idea of government murder. It will be a slow steady descent from Islamic Terrorists to Domestic Terrorists to Domestic "threats"(all based on dubious evidence) until all sorts of "terrorists"(or whatever trial-less crime they can think up), from all races and ideologies are getting taken out.
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    And now he's dead! Win-win.
    He's dead, along with the rule of law, awesome. Now Americans have nothing left to fear right?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    I left out his Jihadist facebook group. Sorry about that.
    He also pokes his finger in the air when scolding people. If that's not smite-worthy, what is?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    The utter lack of transparency or answerability to any judicial body is wrong, because even if it may have been used more or less well on Awlaki (which is definitely arguable), it can easily be used for other more nefarious reasons. That's why it's frightening.
    All tools have the potential to be used for evil. The solution is not to ban the tool, but to strive to keep them in the right hands. Public apathy and ignorance presents a much greater threat to freedom than anything else.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I was pretty much "" when I heard the news... Isn't the "right to a free trial" thing an important element of democracy or something?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    All tools have the potential to be used for evil. The solution is not to ban the tool, but to strive to keep them in the right hands. Public apathy and ignorance presents a much greater threat to freedom than anything else.
    That's assuming the "tool" had justification in the first place, which in this case I don't think is true.

And I agree, public apathy and ignorance do present a problem, but those things are merely a symptom of something far more insidious.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness