User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Am I the only one who never cared about that guy and is left completely indiferent by his death?
    Aside from the general sadness I feel for the premature ending of a life, and for what those close to him must be suffering, I'm not particularly affected. Some of my facebook friends are flipping out though, almost as if they knew the guy personally. It's a bit bizarre.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AntiheroComplex View Post
    This is my general feeling about it, as well. I've never been an Apple worshipper - quite the opposite, actually.

I do feel bad that he died so young, though.
    My thoughts exactly! Very sad when someone dies so young, and I am sure he was a technological genius.

Our first computer was a IIC and it still works - my brother and I still occasionally play games on it in my parents' house! Haven't owned Apple products subsequently though. I am sure they do what they do very well and they are certainly charming to look at and touch (though too expensive, I think), but the real devotees get on my nerves.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Am I the only one who never cared about that guy and is left completely indiferent by his death?
    You seem pretty invested in promoting your indifference...

It doesn't really matter whether someone liked or didn't like him, he did impact the face of computing and popularized technology for the non-technologically inclined. (The creation of iPod and iTunes really popularized that industry and ended up thus changing the face of music publishing, among others things.) He also took risks in changing the status quo of product design.

So why not talk about that stuff, regardless of whether "you're indifferent to his death" or not? It's not like you were required to carry his children.

As far as a human being goes, he was kind of a mixed bag -- probably the stuff that made him effective often also created some issues. I can at least respect a guy for doing what he did (which is likely more than I will quantitatively accomplish in my life) and for having some of the insights he's expressed. For example, I can identify with him as someone who hit bottom and realized that the only thing stopping him was... him. Once you realize you have nothing to lose, you can invest without fear of failure.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Not a philanthropist like Bill Gates, but at least he created great markets that made "jobs"(lol) even if unintentionally. And ENTP for Steve Jobs? Nope. Clearly Introvert that has an Introverted Intuitive Function.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Not a philanthropist like Bill Gates,
    I think Bill Gates won the computer war (and all the excess, near-unspendable fortune that goes along with it)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Am I the only one who never cared about that guy and is left completely indifferent by his death?
    No. This event doesn't affect me in the slightest, but I can go on with my life as it was whereas you can't seem to shut the fuck up about it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    No. This event doesn't affect me in the slightest, but I can go on with my life as it was whereas you can't seem to shut the fuck up about it.
    Hehe. Seems there's someone doing this 'why does everyone care so much??' routine in every online discussion about a dead celebrity.

I'm not emotionally affected either, that doesn't mean it's not a noteworthy event. You hardly have to be grieving someone like a family member to find it worth a mention.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Sorry to be an infidel, but wasn't it really his employees that really innovated? From what I read, his guys came up with ideas, Jobs just barked at them until it looked perfect.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Steve jobs: only in America, where we worship commerce, would people laud
    him as some kind of heroic figure. As if business sense, no matter how
    keen, is the same as the accomplishments of Einstein, Schweitzer, Lincoln,
    Jonas Salk, etc...
    but still, RIP. I think Apple computers have taken a huge downturn in quality in the last 5 years, if my Macbook is any indication. But I forgive you for not being perfect, Steve. Your products look pretty and attract a lot of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

It doesn't really matter whether someone liked or didn't like him, he did impact the face of computing and popularized technology for the non-technologically inclined. (The creation of iPod and iTunes really popularized that industry and ended up thus changing the face of music publishing, among others things.) He also took risks in changing the status quo of product design.
    Absolutely. The man wanted to make an impact, and he did.