User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, I really don't like this mentality of hero worship we seem to have cultivated. Steve Jobs did well for himself and built a highly profitable company through his salesmanship (and often shadier methods, so I hear.) Bully for him. It sucks when anyone dies of a horrible disease, but I'm not going to go saying that his death is some great loss for civilization. Get a fucking grip. Technology develops incrementally, largely off of the back of previous technology. Steve Jobs just managed to package it really well. Fucking great.
    Also, technology tends to develop faster the more it diffuses through the populace, which puts another strike against the whole technological wizard idea.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Eh.. I agree in principle with the anti-hero worship thing, but... This isn't Michael Dell we're talking about either. He's not just a entrepenuer. I've owned both Macs and PCs since.. about the early 90s, so I'm not a fanboy or anything. Right now, I'm typing this on an el cheapo pc laptop. Works for me.

That said, he didn't simply just package ideas. He was a first big step in personal computing, period. Both with the Apple and Apple II. He wasn't the brains (like Woz), but if left to Woz, it would have fell into oblivion just like so many ideas. Steve was enough of a hacker and hobbyist mixed with almost religous fervor in the concept that computers could be more than just tools for businessman and toys for geeks (geeks who were on the extreme fringe when it came to computers in the early and mid 1970s).

After that, the GUI wasn't his idea, but it was another step forward in how he saw the Apple I and II. A way to empower the masses. At that time, he had already proven the "fun" of personal computing, and many other companies followed suit. But he deserves credit for helping it once again with the Mac.

As for the iPod and iPhone, that's purely marketing.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Right. I think you don't know what you're talking about. And I'm probably right.
    I will agree to disagree.
    I get your pov i think. At the same time, my company would look nothing like his company, if I did no work myself, yet dictated it my way. That's what I'm going on.
    I think the new Apple was his company, done his way. That says to me, "entp". As Kdude explained, he did seem interested in "teaching" the masses. His machines were cute little entp machines lol......
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Steve J was an ISFP, after all, he was a creator of cute things.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Steve J was an ISFP, after all, he was a creator of cute things.
    Well, i think you have to take into account the whole. Not just this.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

I could still type him an ENFJ for that.

But yeah, lets not ascribe the cuteness to ESTJ/ISTP. And I'm not being sarcastic either.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I didn't say that. Invention is something that happens for me at random, I guess. I don't sit around and theorize things, for sure. I admire that in others, but I don't do it. Put something in my hand though, and it may happen.

And even then, I'm not exactly inventive. I'm pretty self-aware how much I play just with my hands.. I like noodling around (best way to put it). My starting point is always the unknown - it just feels good to do. The end result might seem a little inventive, but I really wouldn't take much credit for it. It's more like the constellations just fell in place, and I had an ear to make sense of the opportunity.

This applies in other things I do. If I had a choice, I would follow a manual when fixing something. I'm not going to exert too much effort in reinventing the wheel. But once I'm working with something, I may see a new way of implementing a solution. It could be with computers. But it's not the really the first way I go about things.
    Pretty-much me too.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I couldn't care less about his death. My only regret is that we'll probably never see a Humancentipad now.

Gates >>>> Jobs

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/com.../2006/01/70072
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Just because he doesn't show up on charity lists doesn't mean anything. Since he came back to Apple and became CEO, he insisted on only getting 1 dollar a year. A dollar in annual salary. He's definitely capable of some selflessness. At least enough to paint a picture that makes that article look stupid.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Just because he doesn't show up on charity lists doesn't mean anything. Since he came back to Apple and became CEO, he insisted on only getting 1 dollar a year. A dollar in annual salary.
    Well honestly, that's not saying much. With 3.3 billion dollars, I think a salary would be pretty pointless. He has more money than he could dare to spend.

That said, he didn't simply just package ideas. He was a first big step in personal computing, period. Both with the Apple and Apple II.
    Howso? He wasn't the first to invent a personal computer. But somehow, I bet you don't know who is credited with that, yet you take up for Steve Jobs, as if his name should be on the tip of everyone's tongue. No, it's there because he sold himself. I'm sure we will have threads on all of these people when they die, too. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000984.htm He was involved in the beginnings of pc's...... that's about all-she-wrote. He was not even the first to mass-market a pc.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype