User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Bullfighting

Default Bullfighting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9521640.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10784611

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/8187255.stm

What's your opinion of bullfighting? I'm actually a fan of sports and traditions like this, I can understand, even sympathise, with a lot of the arguments which consider it rank cruelty and ugly but there is another side to that debate, there are precious little ways in which its possible to experience the wild, the kinds of challenges which out ancestors had to deal with as a matter of course.

You might well ask why its important to try and experience either the wild or the dangers of past times, maybe its not, I definitely know its something that some people dont feel at all and I've not felt it as strongly over my whole lifespan, but I do think that disconnect from nature or the wild side, even its unpleasant side, or history and heritage can have bad consequences.

Other sports and competitiveness is fine as far as it goes but there's few real examples of the sorts of courage something like a real bullfight entails, I say a real bullfight because I'm sure its possible to remove all threat of injury or make it a very unfair match, the confrontation of serious injury, being maimed or killed with a cool head and stout heart is something that only exists in movies and make believe, if even that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I can understand why people would romanticize it, for reasons you listed above.

It's just fascinating to me that people would make a bull suffer like that, because they want to get that adrenaline rush from the movies. I think that they should just go run in traffic if it's excitement that they want.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ENTP

Id rather die fighting in an arena than die in an assembly line slaughterhouse.

The bull is going to be killed no matter what, at least this way he has a chance to take a few people down with him.
    +10% Crit Chance

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post

The bull is going to be killed no matter what, at least this way he has a chance to take a few people down with him.
    This is actually my opinion of it too.

I was also thinking about how it compares and contrasts with Rodeos in the US.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't care for bull fighting.

but I do like bull riding. those guys are the toughest dudes on earth.

MBTI
    INTj

It would be more fun if these dudes fight a full strength animal rather than one that's been weakened.

Ginkgo

There are better ways to put a man's life in danger.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post

If it's moral to kill an animal because the animal will die anyway, it is also moral to kill a man on a whim, any time, anywhere.

MBTI
    INTP

Well, I think that if two animals want to mutilate each other to death, they should be able to

I personally have no aversion to bullfighting, nor am I particularly distraught to learn of its decline

I don't think something can be both cruel and beautiful. Sport should be beautiful.

If you want to experience the wild you should go to the wild not present it ready made for consumption in the middle of a stadium.

Incidentally, I've always had a strong fascination and even identification with Ferdinand the bull. Even using his picture in my avatar.

"I like it better here where I can sit just quietly and smell the flowers."

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it