1231151 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Default Occupy Wall Street protest gone awry

I was surprised to see no one had started a thread on this one yet. Or, perhaps I overlooked it, in which case, please redirect.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/09/2...united-states/
    Small groups of demonstrators in major American cities have started their own "Occupy Wall Street" demonstrations and organizers are planning further actions in more cities across the United States.

A diverse coalition of people have pledged to occupy Wall Street until something is done about corporate greed and the financial system's undemocratic influence on the U.S. government.

The protesters have been camped out in New York’s old Liberty Plaza, one block from the Federal Reserve, since Saturday.

"The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99 Percent that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the one percent," said a statement on the Occupy Wall Street website.

At least 80 to 100 people were arrested over the weekend in the first big crackdown since the demonstration began. Police accused the protesters of blocking traffic and resisting arrest.

Video recordings showed female protesters being rounded up in an orange-colored mesh pen by police and subsequently sprayed with mace, seemingly without any provocation, and other protesters being dragged across the street by police. Another protester said she was arrested for trying to film the demonstration and locked in a police van for over two hours.

The protest spread to other cities over the weekend.

A small group of "Occupy Los Angeles" demonstrators marched through the streets of downtown Los Angeles on Saturday to show their support for the protesters in New York City.

https://occupywallst.org/

Any thoughts on the protest? The lack of media coverage? The violent attacks from police officers?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INTP

The protest would be so much more exciting if the authorities joined in instead of ruining it!

A diverse coalition of people have pledged to occupy Wall Street until something is done about corporate greed and the financial system's undemocratic influence on the U.S. government. The protesters have been camped out in New York’s old Liberty Plaza, one block from the Federal Reserve, since Saturday.
    Idealism gone awry in NYC. What is it with people who think stunts like that actually accomplish something? They can urinate in the street, scream at the top of their lungs, and yet nothing will be any different afterwards. Oh, except maybe spending a night in jail. How productive.

Ginkgo

You can't have an impact on Wall Street without causing a scene these days.

The most significant thing that could come out of the protest would be to raise awareness, but the media only covered its true colors after the fact. The chief goal of any peaceful protest should be to raise awareness; that "one percent" isn't going to bend over backward at the media coverage of these events. In all likelihood, every single one of them has money in Swiss bank accounts they can float through life with in case they are unable to reap profit in the U.S. or on the seat of an international corporation. For now, the best one can hope for is the voluntary charity of that one percent; the government isn't going to dock their taxes over night if t all. However, most of the protesters have the livelihood and the basic necessities to protest in the first place. I could see why a rich man would scoff at them, thinking they hunger for luxuries. Make a hard argument, protesters.

MBTI
    ENTP

I cant tell if this is a protest or a Phish concert. God damn hippies.
    +10% Crit Chance

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The most significant thing that could come out of the protest would be to raise awareness
    By all means - 'raise awareness' of something that everyone has been aware of for decades. The only people unaware of corporate greed and its influence on Gov't are those who have been in a coma since birth. I have no problem with people bringing awareness to an issue where none, or very little, exists to begin with.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

What they need to do something like construct a guillotine like the French if there goal is to get a substantial response. Passive resistance type protests such as these stopped working in the 60s and early 70s. Maybe do what the Russians did in 1990 to remove the comunists (whatever that was)

The legal methods appear limited. One perhaps coud be to remove all the judges and prosecutors in the district and put in new ones with a mandate for trials and prosecutions of the banksters.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    By all means - 'raise awareness' of something that everyone has been aware of for decades. The only people unaware of corporate greed and its influence on Gov't are those who have been in a coma since birth. I have no problem with people bringing awareness to an issue where none, or very little, exists to begin with.
    What do you know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    What do you know about it?
    You have me confused with someone who is your age.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You have me confused with someone who is your age.
    What does a person of your age know about it?

This is a super serious question, because I feel that perhaps you may know something that I do not.