User Tag List

First 1050585960616270 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Likewise I'd have thought that people wanting to defend capitalism as a utopia wouldnt be big fans of the guys who are bringing about crisis which threatens it in any shape or form. Is capitalism just wall st.? Is it just whatever the rich guys say it is? That's what its beginning to look like and libertarians have bought it lock, stock and barrel.
    The problem isn't capitalism. It's the lack of sufficient checks and balances to prevent the players from gaming the system. It happens when the proponents put blind faith in the theory without reflecting on what is actually going on.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

they aren't organized. who are their leaders? but at least they're trying to change something, and you've got to commend that. i live in California, so the Oakland protest were close to home - i saw the effects - but its no surprise. oakland has a problem being civil about these sort of things.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm surprised at how tea partiers or capitalists are fond of attacking things like this, its largely people blowing off steam without any idea about structural adjustments, I'm not sure they even have a consensus on taxes among them, so what's wrong with that?

Likewise I'd have thought that people wanting to defend capitalism as a utopia wouldnt be big fans of the guys who are bringing about crisis which threatens it in any shape or form. Is capitalism just wall st.? Is it just whatever the rich guys say it is? That's what its beginning to look like and libertarians have bought it lock, stock and barrel.
    There are two kinds of libretarians. One honestly believes in the power of the market to magic us into a land of rainbows and unicorn farts, the other just uses it as a philisophical veneer for psychopathic behavior and a political justification for reducing restrictions on said psychopathy(and tax cuts).

I would have a lot more respect for the first kind of libertarian if they attempted in the slightest to distance themselves from the second kind.
    +10% Crit Chance

sponsored by chase!
    just fantastic.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    There are two kinds of libretarians. One honestly believes in the power of the market to magic us into a land of rainbows and unicorn farts, the other just uses it as a philisophical veneer for psychopathic behavior and a political justification for reducing restrictions on said psychopathy(and tax cuts).

I would have a lot more respect for the first kind of libertarian if they attempted in the slightest to distance themselves from the second kind.
    Let's play a game. It's called "Troll or Genuinely Ignorant".

My guess for CH is Troll, since most people are only Genuinely Ignorant by choice and he's clearly not ignorant(note the use of unicorn farts in describing his mythical Libertarians).
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

What if you make $150,000kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk a year? Can you then be ignorant? WHEEE !
    Hey. look. I got the hint long ago that if you could be an asshole, you could be stupid, hey......
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Zizek says it all.

Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The problem isn't capitalism. It's the lack of sufficient checks and balances to prevent the players from gaming the system. It happens when the proponents put blind faith in the theory without reflecting on what is actually going on.
    Yes. This is actually what happened to cause the meltdown, from my current understanding. There WERE checks and balances previously. The Federal Government changed the law and redirected funds, so the banks were operating under the new system.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Yeah, that's a little like saying its not pollution that's the problem its all the impurities and contaminants in the water.

It means the same thing. Its capitalism and capitalism is being used as a banner under which organised rich people are pressing harder and harder for more privilege and less and less consequences, including doing away with any existing checks and balances and preventing new ones.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post

I've no respect for an optimist or a liar if they're objectively going to make my life worse.